• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Light

Jensen

Do the followers of Christ, and the truth, whether one indivdual or a group, receive New Light, or is the bible the last word and message received from God?

I'm looking for the JW view on this. Thanks.

Jensen :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Do the followers of Christ, and the truth, whether one indivdual or a group, receive New Light, or is the bible the last word and message received from God?

I'm looking for the JW view on this. Thanks.

Jensen :)

Hi Jensen,

Our view is that the bible is complete and its contents contain all the information we need to know what Gods purpose is and how mankind can avail themselves of the salvation God has provided. Much of the bible is prophetic, yet the prophecies were incomplete when they were first written because each prophet only gave some details in disclosing the future... and their prophecies generally related to the 'last days' (our times).
This is shown for us by the Apostle Paul who explained that in the first century, they only had a partial knowledge:
1 Corinthians 13:9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; 10 but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with. ...12 For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror (Not a clear picture), but then it will be face to face. At present (1st century) I know partially, but then (future) I shall know accurately "
But as those prophecies became fulfilled, those who had the complete bible & the holy spirit were able to discern the prophecies fulfillment and thus their understanding was becoming clearer.

However, because the information in the bible was inspired by Gods holy spirit, holy spirit is needed to understand it. And this is shown by Jesus words that the holy spirit would be sent out to Jesus disciples in order for them to understand:
John 15:26 When the helper arrives that I will send YOU from the Father, the spirit of the truth, which proceeds from the Father, that one will bear witness about me; 27 and YOU, in turn, are to bear witness,

So there is only 'new light' in that the bible (the complete word of God) is becoming more clearly understood and this is the result of Jesus sending out the Holy spirit to his disciples so that they can more clearly understand Gods Word. And this also explains why it is possible for Jesus disciples to get things wrong from time to time... because not everything is made clear at the same time. So we may read some scriptures and think they mean ABC, yet later it is made clear and we realize that they mean BCD instead. In that case then we are quick to make the needed adjustment in our understanding and thus 'new light' has become available.

I hope this is answers your question. Feel free to ask for clarification of anything which is unclear. :)

Last edited:

Jensen

Thanks Peg, I've seen where some think that gaining New Light means that one must have been wrong before, or are wrong now. But if it is just a better understanding of scripture that is different than saying the receiving of New Light is prophecy, or saying that to receive new light means that one's faith can't be the truth, because if they had the truth they wouldn't need new light.

It seems to me that to not receive a better understandingof scripture would be a dead faith.

Hope that wasn't to confusing, sorry if it is. Just my thoughts....

Jensen

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Thanks Peg, I've seen where some think that gaining New Light means that one must have been wrong before, or are wrong now. But if it is just a better understanding of scripture that is different than saying the receiving of New Light is prophecy, or saying that to receive new light means that one's faith can't be the truth, because if they had the truth they wouldn't need new light.

It seems to me that to not receive a better understandingof scripture would be a dead faith.

Jensen

the understanding of scripture comes from God... we could never really know the meaning of the scriptures without some assistence and that is why Jesus promised to send the holy spirit....it would give understanding.

You might recall how the disciples had the wrong idea on some of Jesus teachings. Toward the end of Jesus ministry, Peter asked Jesus if he should bring a sword for protection...Jesus corrected him. Another time the disciples thought Jesus wanted them to eat and drink his blood and many of them left him because they were confused and assumed he was speaking literally. Then another time only days before his death the disciples not only asked if he was going to restore the Davidic kingdom, but they were determined that he did not need to die and again Jesus corrected their thinking. So if they can get things wrong, so can any of us and sometimes we do.

Holy spirit is the lifeline of faith.... faith is actually one of the fruits of holy spirit so its important to ask God for his holy spirit and there are prerequisites for obtaining it.

kjw47

Jensen

Daniel 12:4 teaches certain truths or prophecy' would be hidden until these last days and then grow abundant. Means mistakes have been there for centuries and in the last days Jesus' teachers would be the ones making corrections to new light.

Jensen

Thanks, I just looked up that verse and it does support additional knowledge...that is new light.
Thanks for posting the verse.

In the past, if it sounded as if I was debating, on some threads, I didn't mean to make it appear that I was, as it wasn't my intention. I think that having a slight disagreement sometimes isn't necessarily a debate.

Jensen:flower2:

kjw47

Thanks, I just looked up that verse and it does support additional knowledge...that is new light.
Thanks for posting the verse.

In the past, if it sounded as if I was debating, on some threads, I didn't mean to make it appear that I was, as it wasn't my intention. I think that having a slight disagreement sometimes isn't necessarily a debate.

Jensen:flower2:

The most important thing I see is that you know of your need for spirituality--and that is always a plus. We all have strong beliefs, but there is only one truth--its good to look for it.