• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New abortion laws

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
An interesting diversion regarding government's effort to limit bone marrow availability.....
Liberating Bone Marrow Donors | Cato Institute: Policy Forum
I wonder what the constitutional authority is for the fed to ban paying for bone marrow.
It's funny ~ I've never even considered being compensated. The idealist in me would like to think that the average eligible donor would participate because it's the right thing to do, but I suppose that attitude is why the registry isn't what it could be. Then again, with the promise of payment, what kind of people would be attracted? The kind that would be at a higher risk of backing out last minute (which is very dangerous for the patient)? I don't know...I'm just thinking out loud here, trying to figure out if compensation would deal some unpleasant unintended consequences.

Back when we signed up ~ about 16 years ago ~ we had to pay to be typed and registered. At that time, it was $45 per person. I don't know what it is now, or if people have to pay at all, but you can imagine how many of our friends and family responded with "Oh, hell no..." to our friendly requests to register. (And some of them could have easily coughed up the cash. :rolleyes: We were pretty surprised.)

As for the government, I cannot figure that out. It seems bone marrow donation is not that unlike whole blood, red cell, and platelets in terms of renewability.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Kathryn, what's your opinion on Emergency Contraception?

It's in the same league as IUDs in my opinion - I personally wouldn't use either as birth control because they prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine wall.

However, I pick my battles. This option is better than knowingly aborting a fetus with a beating heart, a brain, eyes, arms, legs, a nervous system, and fingerprints already in place. I would not involve myself with any legislation which prevented emergency contraception - just wouldn't use it myself in most instances.

I can certainly see the rationalization for it's use in some scenarios, regardless of my own personal opinions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing strange or unusual about it.
My experience has been that most all extremists and fanatics are hypocrites.
The more extreme or fanatical, the bigger their hypocrisy.
Watch it there, buster! Many of us are committed extremists....not that we're committed, but we're committed &.....argh!
You know what I mean. We're considered & consistent in our extremism.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Watch it there, buster! Many of us are committed extremists....not that we're committed, but we're committed &.....argh!
You know what I mean. We're considered & consistent in our extremism.
*sighs*
PLease not the word MOST in my post.

Now to be completely honest I only included the word MOST in my post so that people would not try to distract from the actual topic with the worn out bull **** "not every extremist/fanatic is that way" tangent.

Seems it did not work...:rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
*sighs*
PLease not the word MOST in my post.
Now to be completely honest I only included the word MOST in my post so that people would not try to distract from the actual topic with the worn out bull **** "not every extremist/fanatic is that way" tangent.
Seems it did not work...:rolleyes:
I saw the distinction you made, but focused on "all" for greater mirth potential.