• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need some help guys

What do you think?

• High School Diploma(two years)

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • GED(a few weeks)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Either-Doesnt matter which, they are equal in value so just get one

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Apotheosis

Hey guys I need some help, I am going to be junior in high school, starting tomorrow, and while school is pretty easy for me, and I shouldnt have any trouble graduating, I have started tot hink that maybe I should jjust go ahead and get my GED. and start my career now rather than two years from now. I don't plan on college, I wish to start my own business, starting with a website(posted in website already), and moving to real estate. I know a lot about what I plan on doing with my life career wise, I have been studying investing, real estate and stocks/bonds for a few years, and while I still have much to learn, high school will not help me in these areas. So do you think I should go ahead and get my GED, start a job, maybe two, and start saving up money so I can get into the real estate game, while pursuing my website/small business. The main difference between getting my GED/or Diploma would be---

A.Only thing I like about high school, is the social aspect, I get to see my friends very often.
B. If I get a GED, I wont get to see my friends as often.
C. Since I plan on being my own employer, aside from part-time jobs to get starting money, I dont see that a GED is worth any less than Diploma in that job area-I will not be attempting to get a job as a rocket scientist, just movie store clerk type jobs, maybe a delivery man.

So what do you all think?

Aqualung

Tasty
Apotheosis said:
Hey guys I need some help, I am going to be junior in high school, starting tomorrow, and while school is pretty easy for me, and I shouldnt have any trouble graduating, I have started tot hink that maybe I should jjust go ahead and get my GED. and start my career now rather than two years from now. I don't plan on college, I wish to start my own business, starting with a website(posted in website already), and moving to real estate. I know a lot about what I plan on doing with my life career wise, I have been studying investing, real estate and stocks/bonds for a few years, and while I still have much to learn, high school will not help me in these areas. So do you think I should go ahead and get my GED, start a job, maybe two, and start saving up money so I can get into the real estate game, while pursuing my website/small business. The main difference between getting my GED/or Diploma would be---

A.Only thing I like about high school, is the social aspect, I get to see my friends very often.
C. Since I plan on being my own employer, aside from part-time jobs to get starting money, I dont see that a GED is worth any less than Diploma in that job area-I will not be attempting to get a job as a rocket scientist, just movie store clerk type jobs, maybe a delivery man.

Well, I guess it all boils down to - Are you ready? You say that you have enough knowledge to start your own business, and I don't see any reason why this woudn't be true, but you also say that you'll miss your friends. I thinking having good relationships is very important for someone who's only a junior in high school, much more so than being able to get right out into the work force. What I would do is sort of start setting up your business and workind part time while you finished your schooling.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Apotheosis said:

They are absolutely NOT the same thing. If they were, a high school diploma would take no longer to get than a GED. Get your diploma. Don't even consider the alternative. You may know what kind of work, etc. you want to do right now, but things change. I guarantee it. You won't be sorry if you get your diploma. You may be sorry if you don't. It's worth the extra time and effort. Now, do I sound like a mother or what?

Unedited

I would really suggest getting your diploma. You sound like you have a good plan for what you're going to do, but if it doesn't work out, having your diploma will be really nice. It's always good to plan for the unplanned.

Meanwhile, enjoy spending time with your friends, and maybe get a part time job to get some extra cash to have when you do graduate? It's really up to you, you know more about the situation, but I do suggest going ahead and getting the diploma.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Stay in school. Get the highest degree possible and go to college. It will greatly help your credibility if you do. People wont bother to get to know you, they will see a high school drop out with a GED, and then try to find another real estate agent. STAY IN SCHOOL! I wanted to drop out and get a GED, but I am glad I didn't. I hated school, I skipped every chance I got, but a high school diploma is worth much more than a GED. If you get a GED, you'll just end up working harder for a college diploma. So stay in school. You be sitting down two years from now, and realize that suddenly its your senior year, and then suddenly its over. STAY IN SCHOOL!

Spike

Really, I agree with Luke Wolf, most jobs today require a college education, and even if you get a job without one what if the company goes under or you get fired? You're going to need college on your resume.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I agree that you should get a diploma, but I don't think that requires staying in school; Druidus is more knowledgable on the subject than I, you might want to consider talking to him about it.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I see High School as our modern day 'rites of passage'. It's like initiation into life. I think society puts too much emphasis on the piece of paper and not enough emphasis on individual talents, but the experience as a whole is like an initiation.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I wish I could be of help; however knowing little about the American system, I could not give any advice.

robtex

Veteran Member
Apotheosis said:
I have been studying investing, real estate and stocks/bonds for a few years, and while I still have much to learn, high school will not help me in these areas.
Apotheosis first off I wish you luck with your career choice. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders at a young age. Probably alot smarter than the 1000's of people I met who dropped tens of thousands of dollars on college and never graduated. It is good that you are looking at your options.

Real estate in most (probably all) states requires a license and a mentor or sponsor (same thing). Many real estate agents fall into that career later in life after getting burned out on the 9-5 track. It is straight commission and one problem you will find early on is that many of your peers in the industry will be in their late 40's or older. The immediate problem will be you trying to convince clients to buy from "a kid" as opposed to seniors. May sound prejudical but that is life and you will have an uphill battle starting at a young age. You may want to look into being an apartment locator for the first few years (also straight commission) until you look like you are in your mid-20's (depending on fast you are aging).

Stock and bond traders get a completely different kind of license. It varies from state to state but you will have to get a state license to trade and a federal (us) license at the minimum. Most of this will be over the phone so the youthfulness will not be a hinderance as it will be in real estate.

You are correct high school will not help you one bit in either of these areas. However, very few people, and you might be an exception, fall into a career right off the bat and stay in it for life. The H.S. diploma will move you father in the white collar world than a GED will. If you told us you wanted to be a roofer I would be more apt to tell you a GED= a diploma, but in the white collar world (which included your two career choices) a diploma is worth more than a GED to potential employer.

You don't have to think of the school and career as mutuallly exclusive. If I might suggest an alternative strategy I would suggest working on your hs dipolma while finding a few people in the industry (both industries) and getting to know what their typical day is like. Take this time after class to get a feel for job the niches and the atmosphere in those endeavors and research what it takes to get licensed in each including tooking at study guides for each.

Most licensing comes with a fee for study materials and a smaller fee for the actual test. Very reasonable when you compare it to the cost of a four year degree. But it will take time to study for and take. You could just think of it as an extra high school class.

For the real estate job be sure to check the housing market in your area. See if the housing market is growing or shrinking. You may have to consider relocating at some point if you pursue this later down the road. If your h.s. offers economic classes they can give good foundation skills for learning market terminology and will be of some use.

In the short run, over the next few months, find a few people in each field and get from them what these career tracks are like. The information you will get from them (and talk to a few in each not just one) will be an invaluable tool for later on down the road and you can still work on your h.s. diploma in the meantime. Again, if you were listing blue collar jobs than a ged= a diploma but not in the white collar world.

Again, best of luck to you.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
GED. Good Enough Diploma. I hated school and got a GED, then went to college. High School felt like prison, so for me the choice was clear. But there is no difference between a GED and a High School Diploma.

Melody

Katzpur said:
They are absolutely NOT the same thing. If they were, a high school diploma would take no longer to get than a GED. Get your diploma. Don't even consider the alternative. You may know what kind of work, etc. you want to do right now, but things change. I guarantee it. You won't be sorry if you get your diploma. You may be sorry if you don't. It's worth the extra time and effort. Now, do I sound like a mother or what?
Frubals...from one mother to another. I've worked for enough companies to know that the guy with the GED is put below the one with the high school diploma. Whether true or not, a GED is a sign that the person doesn't have what it takes to "stick it out" and finish their high school education. You can tell them it was a conscious choice. They probably won't believe you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But there is no difference between a GED and a High School Diploma.
Like Robtex said, in the white collar world, a High School Diploma is worth much more than a GED. I recomend you talk to your guidance counselor before you make any decisions. I talked to mine and he made it clear that a GED will not get as far in life as a HS diploma will.

Remember, people stereotype other people. If you have a GED, people will stereotype you as the lazy bum who doesn't want to work. A degree from a community college, allthough will certenly help your credibilty as a real estate agent or stock/bond trader, won't get you as much recognition as a diploma from a university.

Two things you might want to look into is vocational and job shadowing. If your doing vocation, if its available, you can chose when to go to it, which most people pick the early afternoon hours for thier session, and it will be something you want to do. With job shadowing, you will have to find someone who will be ok with it, but you will be able to start learning those professions now.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Totally offtopic, and I apologize, but...

Luke, your sig is driving me NUTS. WERE, DANGIT ALL, WERE! ;) :p