• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with Jewish History

rosends

Did Sancheriv (Sennacherib) conquer Israel?

I know I should know this answer but I was never any good at remembering history.

The reason I ask is because there is a notion that Sancheriv confused the nations, making identity totally unknowable (practical implications abound, from marrying Moav to killing Amalek). He moved populations when he took over a place. I'm trying to figure out if he did the same to the Jewish people and how, then, any Jew could claim, by dint of the Jewish understanding and this notion of https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/8760/1362 , who is actually Jewish or not.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
According to Melachim II 18-19, Shalmanesser king of Ashur conquered the kingdom of Israel and exiled the ten tribes. After that he was succeeded by Sancheriv who proceeded to attack Judea. For a time Chizkiyah attempted to appease him with gold and silver, but eventually rebelled and with Hashem's intervention, the Ashurim were defeated.
I'd wager that before Sancheriv attacked Judea, he started to mix up the nations.

rosends

According to Melachim II 18-19, Shalmanesser king of Ashur conquered the kingdom of Israel and exiled the ten tribes. After that he was succeeded by Sancheriv who proceeded to attack Judea. For a time Chizkiyah attempted to appease him with gold and silver, but eventually rebelled and with Hashem's intervention, the Ashurim were defeated.
I'd wager that before Sancheriv attacked Judea, he started to mix up the nations.
So he didn't have access to the core of Judah to mix them?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So he didn't have access to the core of Judah to mix them?
Not that I know of. Wikipedia claims that he managed to exile over 200,000 Judeans, but I'm pretty sure that's not mentioned in the Tanach.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
In conclusion, I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm Jewish, you're Jewish, all us Jews are Jewish. :D