• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEED for formal Setian initiation

trithemius

In another thread, the discussion of need came up regarding affiliation with ToS. I think I am either oversimplifying or underthinking the point, as there seems to be only one answer.

For me, the interest in ToS derives from an interest in traveling the LHP and increasing understanding of Magic and various goals of self-improvement that I can see could crystallize into the word Xeper. It seems that while a lone Initiate could do these things, the most progress could be made by affiliating with a group of like-minded others who have considerable experience and documentation available to the newcomer.

There are many groups that profess to illuminate the LHP, but none seem to have the history, breadth and resources of the ToS.

If I wanted to learn physics today, in order to eventually push the boundaries of the known body of knowledge, I would not drop a ball off a building and time it to try to derive the laws of gravitation and kinetic/potential energy from scratch. I would work through the equivalent of undergraduate and graduate curricula, increasingly focusing on my field of interest, and then I would work to make new discoveries.

In the same way, affiliation with ToS seems the most direct way to avoid reinventing the wheel and move as quickly as possible toward the horizions. Additionally, as humans we are wired to enjoy company, so access to a group of Initiates with similar interests appeals to me personally as well as initiatorially.

That is my need.

Am I being too general, or are there a wide variety of needs I am not considering? What are the needs that have caused other members to affiliate with ToS?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
What are the needs that have caused other members to affiliate with ToS?

I first began as a "theistic"/LaVeyan Satanist. What initially drew me to the Temple of Set was its view of the literal, tangible existence of the Lord of Darkness, its magical philosophy, the concept of Xeper, and its use of dark or "Satanic" imagery and symbolism combined with ancient Egyptian symbolism and mythology. All of these things synthesized into a synergetic crystallization within my psyche almost immediatelly, which compelled me to seek out affiliation with ToS. And I have been a student and practicioner of Setian philosophy and magic ever since. It is through the knowledge and teachings of ToS that I found my way and my True Self. And yes the interaction with other Setians play a large role in this transformative process in my Initiatory life quest.

Xeper and Remanifest.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

trithemius

Adramelek, how long in the process do you feel it took you to find your true self? Was it a revelation or a development over time? Or is it something that is still developing?

Roadrider, I was a little confused by the point of your comment, so I watched the video, and now I understand much more clearly. That televangelist is indeed a powerful sorcerer! And very unusual to find a conservative Christian pastor so excited about nu-metal that he choreographs his events to it!!!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Adramelek, how long in the process do you feel it took you to find your true self? Was it a revelation or a development over time? Or is it something that is still developing?

Roadrider, I was a little confused by the point of your comment, so I watched the video, and now I understand much more clearly. That televangelist is indeed a powerful sorcerer! And very unusual to find a conservative Christian pastor so excited about nu-metal that he choreographs his events to it!!!

Personally I really don't know what kind of point roadrider is trying to make here on the Setian DIR, but he is as silly as he is ignorant. :D

Actually Trithemius I knew I was Setian before I even first entered the ToS back in 1991 c.e. I became Aware of it during my first ritual invocation of Set in June of 1990, for me it was almost instantaneous. I won't go into details of my Working here, but I will say that when you Become Setian you will know it, there will be no doubt in your mind. Furthermore, as you continue to Xeper and Remanifest so thus will your Setian Being evolve, and your horizons expand. Of course, all this can be done outside a group, but the Temple of Set exists for those who seek formal Initiation and schooling in the theory and practice of the Black Arts. Much like one who would attend medical school to become an MD.

For ever in the Black Flame of Set!

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I just wanted to reinterate that although I am not a Setian the great thing about ToS is basically it is introductory at first. If it doesn't float your boat you're under no pressure at all to hang. Honestly, I would say from what I've read of this period of the membership it functions more like a typical occult school without the join or die mentality. If you don't even have a path on the left-handed path so to speak it probably is the most unbiased way to get that basic introductory experience -- especially if you new and need some tips to help you get started.

In my own case I simply realized I am a consummate loner and by the time I even heard of it I was well beyond this "introductory" experience. Mentally and structure-wise I feel closer to ToS than to say Church of Satan.

My advice is simply figure out WHY you are needing to join up. If it is something akin to advancing your scholarly approach to the subject sign up for a tour. Otherwise, quit wasting their time and yours. :)

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Mindmaster brings up a good point. The First Degree in the Temple of Set is a two year time period in which the Initiate and the Temple can get to know one another. It is not an easy Degree for the Initiate, it can be one of the hardest and more difficult of the Six Degrees, as the Temple does expect a lot out of its Initiates. It is how you can decide whether or not this is for you, and whether you and the Temple can mutualy benefit from one another.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

MacKinnon

It is not an easy Degree for the Initiate, it can be one of the hardest and more difficult of the Six Degrees, as the Temple does expect a lot out of its Initiates.

Can it? How would you begin to measure difficulty between Degrees you have attained, let alone the rest you have no direct experience of?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Can it? How would you begin to measure difficulty between Degrees you have attained, let alone the rest you have no direct experience of?

I am only pointing out that the First Degree isn't necessarily an easy realm, especially for the beginning magician. Some of my wording may have been a bit extreme.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

trithemius

Thanks for all your thoughts!

I can't say that I had an experience that made me 100% sure I am Setian. I can say that since working through the ToS materials I have available I do know I'm 100% LHP, where as previously I felt vaguely, occult, I guess I'd say, and didn't even consider some of the things that now appear to be very cut and dried to me regarding LHP vs. RHP.

The ToS does remain central in my thoughts, even though the admissions process is glacial. It took one month to the day for them to even acknowledge my admissions packet and now since that exchange it's coming up on another month with no response to my answers to their questions.

I mention this because normally I don't have patience for stuff like this, but regarding ToS I remain very intersted in pursuing it. Maybe the process is designed to weed out the recreational applicants or improve the cachet of the temple in the minds of applicants, but either way it's not weeding me out and I remain as interested as when I first applied.

We'll see how it goes!

L.Keane

Master Cosmonaut~EoB
Dear Trithemius,

Just some observations:

I can't say that I had an experience that made me 100% sure I am Setian.

Don't worry about whether or not you are any percentage "Setian" that is what the First Degree is for. If by Setian you mean as the term is understood in the Temple of Set then you couldn't know until you were part of it. Why not strive to be 100% YOU.

I can say that since working through the ToS materials I have available I do know I'm 100% LHP, where as previously I felt vaguely, occult, I guess I'd say, and didn't even consider some of the things that now appear to be very cut and dried to me regarding LHP vs. RHP.

Again, you are looking for labels when you should be striving to shed them.

The ToS does remain central in my thoughts, even though the admissions process is glacial. It took one month to the day for them to even acknowledge my admissions packet and now since that exchange it's coming up on another month with no response to my answers to their questions.

Perhaps you should Work at worrying less about the Temple of Set being in your thoughts and focus on understanding why you are having those thoughts. Four weeks for acknowledgement is average. I will only say this one more time since others have brought it up here and in other threads. You, contrary to your own perspective, are but one application among, likely, dozens received every month. Given that there is no staff to rush to your every question you can appreciate that it might take the ED, who has a life beyond your desires, a while to answer you. Get over it.

I mention this because normally I don't have patience for stuff like this, but regarding ToS I remain very intersted in pursuing it. Maybe the process is designed to weed out the recreational applicants or improve the cachet of the temple in the minds of applicants, but either way it's not weeding me out and I remain as interested as when I first applied.

Did it occur to you that Setians might be annoyed with impatient applicants? Your lack of patience speaks volumes. How about spending less time online complaining about the application process and get back to trying to understand YOU. Read from the TOS reading list. Ask yourself WHY you want to join. To be completely frank your complaints read to me like a recreational applicant. Joining the Temple of Set is not about interest. It is about Need and it is a lot of Work when taken seriously.

L

Daelach

Setian
I can't say that I had an experience that made me 100% sure I am Setian.

What makes you Setian or not is the kinship with Set or the lack thereof. Whether or not you choose to enter the ToS, or wether or not the ToS chooses to let you enter, doesn't play a role. But if you really have the need for some priest to "approve" you as Setian, then you are unlikely to be Setian.

It wouldn't astonish me if the ToS filtered out applicants with this "need" for exactly that reason.

Informare

Setian I°
Thanks for all your thoughts!

I can't say that I had an experience that made me 100% sure I am Setian. I can say that since working through the ToS materials I have available I do know I'm 100% LHP, where as previously I felt vaguely, occult, I guess I'd say, and didn't even consider some of the things that now appear to be very cut and dried to me regarding LHP vs. RHP.

We'll see how it goes!

I recommend maintaining a healthy skepticism of anything you think you might be 100% sure about.