• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

need advice about celibacy

anadi

on the way
Namaskar brothers and sisters

I am new here, and I am an almost 20 year old male. I have been reading about what in hinduism is called brahmacarya, or celibacy. Preserving the vital fluid is supposed to be of tremendous benefit to spiritual growth. Of course being celibate is not easy, especially at this age in this western society where sex is everywhere. Still, I have never had sex in my life. Not because I didn't want to but the just didn't have the courage to interact with women enough.

However, I know a very attractive girl about my age and I think she is also attracted to me and she is a very lustful young lady, so I could grab the chance and get her in the sack.But I'm a bit sceptical about it.. it would be nice to have sex but then, what if that would make lust even harder to control in the future, after I have experienced the sweet fruit of a young lady's vagina?

This is where I need your advice. Do you think it is better not tohave sex at all if I plan to be celibate in the future? Or would it be ok if I play around a bit while I'm young and then get serious? Do you think lust is greater after one has had sex and tasted the fruit, than before when one was still a virgin?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
after I have experienced the sweet fruit of a young lady's vagina?

Do you think lust is greater after one has had sex and tasted the fruit, than before when one was still a virgin?

First of all, Can you kindly not refer to women as if they are food to be consumed? It's a rather archaic and frankly creepy way of describing us.

Secondly, to answer your question, I think this is a highly personal choice. I think it will be different for everyone. From what you say about yourself, you are still curious about sex so if it were me, I would want to know what I was giving up first. It's a tough commitment and not one to take lightly.

Best of luck - maybe someone else has more thorough advice.

:camp:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You have told us about your age but not about your education or profession. I can write something on it only if I know all facts about you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You CAN do whatever you want. You can choose to apply wisdom, or not to apply wisdom. Free will is like that. But there are karmic consequences for all actions.

Hindus seek to restrain lust, and respect all of humanity.

Maya3

This is another troll, probably the same one as before.
It is way to explicit to be a serious question about celibacy.

Maya

anadi

on the way
First of all, Can you kindly not refer to women as if they are food to be consumed? It's a rather archaic and frankly creepy way of describing us.

:camp:

Sorry, no disrespect towards women intended. It's just that this is a matter of lust, which is only for sensual enjoyment, that is why I reffered to it like that.

You have told us about your age but not about your education or profession. I can write something on it only if I know all facts about you.

I have just finished high school as a multimedia technician. I still live with my mother, I'm going to college next year, I have almost no contact with my dad, I like making music, I am a begginer on the spiritaul path, began with some light sadhana about a year ago... enough facts? :)

This is another troll, probably the same one as before.
It is way to explicit to be a serious question about celibacy.

Maya

This is not a troll. I am very serious. Why do you think such a question couldn't be so explicit?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So besides this dilemma, do you have any questions that pertain to your sadhana or stuff that is more specific to Hinduism? This is called 'spiritual forums', not 'sexuality forums'.

anadi

on the way
So besides this dilemma, do you have any questions that pertain to your sadhana or stuff that is more specific to Hinduism? This is called 'spiritual forums', not 'sexuality forums'.

I know, but where else could I get advice from poeple who are actually practicing brahmacarya? Sexuality is also an important part that has to be considered and dealt with reasonably in spiritual sadhana.

I have more questions but that's another thread isn't it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I know, but where else could I get advice from poeple who are actually practicing brahmacarya?

There may be some on here, but with the exception of a couple of sects, most Hindus, it they aren't sannyasins (either lifetime renunciates, or in the Sannyasin ashrama of life) aren't celibate. Where did you get the idea we were?

anadi

on the way
There may be some on here, but with the exception of a couple of sects, most Hindus, it they aren't sannyasins (either lifetime renunciates, or in the Sannyasin ashrama of life) aren't celibate. Where did you get the idea we were?

I was reading Swami Sivananda and he puts great emphasis on brahmacarya, if one is serious in his sadhana. I didn't actually think most Hindus were celibate but I thought there must be people on this forum who are..

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was reading Swami Sivananda and he puts great emphasis on brahmacarya, if one is serious in his sadhana. I didn't actually think most Hindus were celibate but I thought there must be people on this forum who are..

Oh there well could be. But it's kind of personal. Certainly there are many who know about it, or have practiced it.

To whom was Sivananda addressing in that passage?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you're feeling strong sexual urges maybe brahmacharya isn't your dharma.:sarcastic

If you're determined to embark on a course of brahmacharya and, later, sanyas, there are always the options of chemical testosterone suppression or physical castration to diminish your sexual drive.

anadi

on the way
Well he wasn't addressing anyone in particular, he was just pointing out the tremendous benefits of preserving semen, as it gets transmuted into spiritual energy called ojas.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well he wasn't addressing anyone in particular, he was just pointing out the tremendous benefits of preserving semen, as it gets transmuted into spiritual energy called ojas.
Links to medical journals please.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have none. Don't you think this may be beyond the scope of materialistic science? I thought this was a well known concept in Hinduism.

You're right. It is a well known concept in Hinduism. But when you read any swami's words, sometimes it's unclear as to whom he's talking to. The path for the serious sishya can be very different than for the casual seeker. That's why I asked you if it was clear whom he was addressing. But since it's not, I think it's safe to assume that he was addressing serious adepts. Those are the ones who would buy such a book.

If you've read such words from a master such as the highly respected Swami Sivananda, I can't image how such a diverse bunch as the Hindus here on RF can help you. I'd go with the words of the revered swami myself. After all, they're the teachers, not us.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskar brothers and sisters

I am new here, and I am an almost 20 year old male. I have been reading about what in hinduism is called brahmacarya, or celibacy. Preserving the vital fluid is supposed to be of tremendous benefit to spiritual growth. Of course being celibate is not easy, especially at this age in this western society where sex is everywhere.

so is discontent and suffering , ....
However, I know a very attractive girl about my age and I think she is also attracted to me and she is a very lustful young lady, so I could grab the chance and get her in the sack.But I'm a bit sceptical about it.. it would be nice to have sex but then, what if that would make lust even harder to control in the future, after I have experienced the sweet fruit of a young lady's vagina?

782272994[1].jpg
Do you know the meaning of the picture you have chosen ? ....it symbolises the three poisons , ....attatchment , anger and ignorance ,

when one tastes any fruit one forms attatchment to the plesurable aspects of the fruit , attatchment leads to craving , craving leads to frustration , frustration leads to anger , anger leads to ignorance ....and thus in ones life one becomes locked in a cycle of suffering , .....

This is where I need your advice. Do you think it is better not tohave sex at all if I plan to be celibate in the future? Or would it be ok if I play around a bit while I'm young and then get serious? Do you think lust is greater after one has had sex and tasted the fruit, than before when one was still a virgin?

better to wait untill marraige when one has sex for the right reasons .

and better to wait untill one can treat both woman and one self with respect and understand that sex although plesurable is a part of family life .

later in life you will realise that this is the right descission .

dust1n

Zindīq
EDIT: Whoops. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I stepped into the Hindu DIR. There is the same thread in two spots.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I know, but where else could I get advice from poeple who are actually practicing brahmacarya?
Sex in marriage is Brahmacharya. Never felt otherwise, but your journey is just beginning.
I have just finished high school as a multimedia technician. I still live with my mother, I'm going to college next year, I have almost no contact with my dad, I like making music, I am a beginner on the spiritual path, began with some light sadhana about a year ago... enough facts? :)
Well, nearly. You have not written about your financial situation. Since you will be going to college, you will need to concentrate on what you would study there. Have you taken some interest in India music, North Indian or Karnatic? Still, my best advice is push-ups, sit-ups, and worship of Lord Hanuman. Lord Hanuman is the 'sadhya', and this is 'sadhana'. Leave Vivekananda for the time being.

Last edited:

anadi

on the way
Sex in marriage is Brahmacharya. Never felt otherwise, but your journey is just beginning.Well, nearly. You have not written about your financial situation. Since you will be going to college, you will need to concentrate on what you would study there. Have you taken some interest in India music, North Indian or Karnatic? Still, my best advice is push-ups, sit-ups, and worship of Lord Hanuman. Lord Hanuman is the 'sadhya', and this is 'sadhana'. Leave Vivekananda for the time being.

My financial situation is ok, I get some money from my father for living costs and when i find time I find some work. I do listen a bit to Ravi Shankar and similar artists, but I don't see how that matters? please explain :)