• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

need a little help

Dayv

First, I haven't been on in a while, and I'm not even sure if I posted this in the right spot...perhaps I should have just thrown it into the debate section and seen how that went. But whatever, if it's in the wrong spot, sorry, feel free to have it moved.

Anyway, I have been pondering religion, spirituality and all the like for some time now. For the quite a while I have refered to myself as a druid, which still fits somewhat because I have a fondness for nature and the natural course of things, but I guess that could also just make me a naturalist. The most accurate term I can really think of for my views is open agnosticism, but I still don't know if that really covers it. I guess what I need is, if nothing else, help pin-pointing what it is exactly that I have here, or, if there is no real term, perhaps creating one.

The reason I mention agnosticism is because I am highly skeptical of everything, and I don't feel anything should ever really be absolutely accepted. There are always more questions to be asked, and questions should always be asked. At the same time, though, I believe that it is important to see things from as many views as possible, and only when you can see and understand everything from every vantage point can you really truely understand it (which I'm assuming is pretty well impossible).

Having this...method (i guess you might call it) of looking at things, I often can have a very extreme thought, idea, or opinion one day, but then completely disagree with it the next, although more often than not I have a very neutral, middle-of-the-road point of view. In fact, this attempt to understand as many views as possible has at times even made me somewhat neutral on the good-and-evil axis, too. I have wondered often if, although an act may be essintially good, is it necissarily for the best. I have also thought about the essintial nature of neutrillity and the universe and how it seems to balance itself magnificently, not only over space but over time.

hmm, now I've got myself wondering again, and my thoughts are getting too ahead of my typing to continue this much further. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, even if it's just something else for my mind to chew over because, as I mentioned, I like to see (if only think about) things from as many perspectives as possible.

Thanks,
Dayv

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We all have doubts.
If you believe the Bible even Christ Had doubts.

A good way to clean up your Ideas is to write them down.
Computers make this easy. as you can both edit and keep rejected Ideas for review.
( use versions in Word)

After a while you will have a framework to ask questions about and build on.
You may well find that what you really believe is not so far from other peoples beliefs after all.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
I think you have an excellent mindset and outlook. Question everything, pursue knowledge, and respect nature. A great philosophy to have.
If you need help finding a label, then "agnostic druid" sounds just fine.
However, if you need help finding a religion, well then you're going to have to be more specific.

Do you believe in a god/goddess or multiple gods? Or no god? Or something else?
This is always a good starting question, as it will cause other things to simply fall into place.

BFD_Zayl

well, i have felt the same way too, what i have done is i just sat back for a second, i stopped eveything and i said to myself "is this right for me" and i went on from there, how you choose to do this is your choice.

Random

I went through something similar myself in my early twenties.

I am amazed you use the word "neutrality", because I use this also to describe the natural position which results from the effort to understand conflicting points of view and also to transcend the resulting dualities.

I would urge you to continue on your path, not to just accept "Agnostic Druid" because you think it accurately describes how you feel/are at the moment. That will change.

I cannot yet give you a word for your journey, perhaps the journey is better off without one. You'll find one if needed in your own good time, my friend.