• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Crisis--Could cause Food Shortages--Bees Disappearing

yuvgotmel

I have withheld posting this because I figured that someone would have already brought the issue up on RF.

There is a problem occurring in the United States, and also, to a lesser extent, in the UK and Europe. It is called Colony Collapse Disorder.

Honeybees are disappearing. The worker bees are leaving the hives and not returning, causing the queens and the rest of the colony to collapse. First signs of CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) were reported in November of 2006. By December, beekeepers were reporting 60 to 97% loss of colonies! That's MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of bees. Over half of the US states are affected.

Only a small amount of dead bee bodies have been recovered, of which those bees are filled with viruses and bacteria, exceeding usual amounts. Unlike previous colony losses, this particular CCD, which started just recently, is extremely rapid. This is NOT a dwindling of the bee population--It is a disappearance of the bees on a scale that is unprecedented.

Scientists and beekeepers are calling this AN EMERGENCY. The U.S. Congress is expected to start hearings on this immediately (if they haven't already).

Similar CCD cases are being reported in other countries as well: the UK, Germany, Portugal, and Spain. The BBC News has reported the bee disappearance in the US as a "national crisis"; however given that our food production could be affected within one year or less (due to the lack of pollination by the bees), this could be seen as a possible international crisis too.

Here are some links and excerpts concerning this issue:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33938.pdf

This is a PDF file--opens with Adobe. It is a report prepared for Congress dated March 26, 2007.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder

Colony Collapse Disorder (or CCD) is the name of the phenomenon that describes the massive die-off affecting an entire beehive or bee colony. The BBC has referred to it as VBS (Vanishing Bee Syndrome). It was originally apparently limited to colonies of the Western honey bee in North America, but European beekeepers have recently claimed to be observing a similar phenomenon in Poland and Spain, with initial reports coming in from Switzerland and Germany, albeit to a smaller degree. The cause (or causes) of the syndrome is not yet well understood and even the existence of this disorder remains disputed. Theories include environmental change-related stresses, malnutrition, unknown pathogens (i.e., disease), mites, pesticides such as neonicotinoids, genetically modified (GM) crops or electromagnetic radiation (such as cellular phone signals).

From 1971 to 2006 approximately half of the U.S. honey bee colonies have vanished, but this decline includes the cumulative losses from all factors such as urbanization, pesticide use, tracheal and Varroa mites and commercial beekeepers retiring and going out of business, and has been fairly gradual. Late in the year 2006 and in early 2007, however, the rate of attrition was alleged to have reached new proportions, and the term "Colony Collapse Disorder" was proposed to describe this sudden rash of disappearances.

(more at link above)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6400179.stm

_42618353_beek_getty_203.jpg

Honeybees are vanishing at an alarming rate from 24 US states, threatening the production of numerous crops.

The cause of the losses, which range from 30% to more than 70%, is a mystery, but experts are investigating several theories.
(more at link above)

HoneyBeeCollapse2007MAP2.jpg

[SIZE=+1]
Honey Bee Disappearances Continue: Could Pesticides Play A Role?
© 2007 by Linda Moulton Howe​

"How much of our food production do we want to turn over to other
countries that might be friendly now and not friendly in the future? The federal government is looking at this and my question is: Are honey bees the canary
in the coal mine? What are honey bees trying to tell us that we humans
should be paying more attention to?"
- Jerry Hayes, Chief, Apiary Section,
Florida Dept. of Agriculture, Gainsville, Florida

March 16, 2007 Washington, D. C. - In my previous February 23, 2007, Earthfiles and Coast to Coast AM news updates about the mysterious honey bee disappearances, I interviewed a Pennsylvania honey beekeeper who has had nearly 2,000 of his 2900 hives disappear – a 60% loss to date. That is David Hackenberg of Hackenberg Apiary in Pennsylvania. He said he had never seen so many deserted hives that were also left alone by predator moths and beetles. That’s why he suspects some kind of pesticide is getting into the flower pollen and nectar and poisoning the hives. He contacted Penn State’s bee experts to investigate. But to date, there is no answer.

And bees are still disappearing in massive numbers. One Midwestern beekeeper had 13,000 healthy, full hives in mid-November 2006. Those bees began disappearing in mid-December and now he's lost 96% of them. He's facing bankruptcy. This week, one Ohio beekeeper opened up his hives after the winter to find 80% were empty. Over the past six months, massive disappearances of honey bees have been reported in at least 24 states; internationally in Poland and Spain; and it’s still unknown how many more honey bees will be gone as more northern hives are opened this spring in North America and Europe. Right now, dozens of scientists are trying to find out what is causing what they call “colony collapse disorder,” or CCD.

(more at link above)
[/SIZE]

yuvgotmel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/the-birds-the-bees-and-_b_46410.html
Here's a quote from Albert Einstein: "if the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would have only four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man." Well, guess what? The bees are disappearing. In massive numbers. All around the world. And if you think I'm being alarmist and that, "Oh, they'll figure out some way to pollinate the plants..." No, they've tried. For a lot of what we eat, only bees work. And they're not working. They're gone. It's called Colony Collapse Disorder, when the hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, and all that's left are a few queens and some immature workers -- like when a party winds down at Elton John's house. Also, if your stinger stays up more than 48 hours, call your doctor.

But I think we're the ones suffering from Colony Collapse Disorder. Because although nobody really knows for sure what's killing the bees, it's not al-Qaeda, and it's not God doing some of his Old Testament shtick, and it's not Winnie the Pooh. It's us. It could be from pesticides, or genetically modified food, or global warming, or the high-fructose corn syrup we started to feed them. Recently it was discovered that bees won't fly near cell phones -- the electromagnetic signals they emit might screw up the bees navigation system, knocking them out of the sky. So thanks guy in line at Starbucks, you just killed us. It's nature's way of saying, "Can you hear me now?"

(more at link above)

yuvgotmel

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTcxMTkyMjUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

Honey bees are dying off

Saturday, April 21, 2007

By JIM WRIGHT
STAFF WRITER

Millions of honeybees are dying throughout the state from a mysterious epidemic, worrying North Jersey beekeepers and farmers who depend on the bees to pollinate their crops.

John Nazarian, a Wyckoff resident who keeps bees as a hobby, recently lost 100,000 of his bees to what has been dubbed colony collapse disorder.

"I was shocked," said Nazarian, who has kept bees for nearly 30 years. "I checked on the hive in early February and the bees had vanished."

The devastation was even worse for Bea and Jean-Claude Tassot's hives in Morris and Hunterdon counties. They estimate 2.2 million bees died when they lost 110 of their 140 hives.

(more at link above)

yuvgotmel

http://www.infowars.com/articles/science/bees_fungus_possible_culprit_in_bee_loss.htm

Bee losses are not unusual. Weather, pesticide exposures and infestations by pests have wiped out colonies in the past.

But the current loss is unprecedented. Beekeepers in 28 US states, Canada and England have reported large losses. About a quarter of the estimated 2.4 million colonies in the US had been lost since last northern autumn, said Jerry Hayes of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Commercial beehives provide more than honey;they are used to pollinate one-third of the country's agricultural crops, including apples, peaches, pears, and pumpkins. Ninety per cent of California's almond crop is dependent on bees, and a loss of commercial hives could be devastating.

yuvgotmel

As just glancing over the articles you posted, did it say why the bees were vanishing?

No.. that's the thing... Scientists do NOT know what is causing the bee disappearances. The few dead bee bodies that they have found are full of viruses and bacteria; however that does not account for the massive disappearances (i.e. why the bees aren't returning to the colonies). There are a number of possibilities for the disappearances; and some scientists say that is a combo-of-reasons. Nothing certain, so far (in this case), has been determined.

yuvgotmel

Here is one theory, but this theory does not make sense on a rapid scale. It might account for a "dwindling" of the population. However, from November to Decemeber, the bees disappeared at unprecedented rates. And the bee disappearances have NOT stopped. The colonies are continuing to collapse.
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece

Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?

Scientists claim radiation from handsets are to blame for mysterious 'colony collapse' of bees

By Geoffrey Lean and Harriet Shawcross
Published: 15 April 2007

It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East Coast.

CCD has since spread to Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. And last week John Chapple, one of London's biggest bee-keepers, announced that 23 of his 40 hives have been abruptly abandoned.

Other apiarists have recorded losses in Scotland, Wales and north-west England, but the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs insisted: "There is absolutely no evidence of CCD in the UK."

The implications of the spread are alarming. Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees. Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".

No one knows why it is happening. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM crops have been proposed, but all have drawbacks.

German research has long shown that bees' behaviour changes near power lines.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."

(more at link)​

yuvgotmel

Maybe it's some kind of insect Rapture.

You know.. that has been stated on another forum that I go to regularly and also from a caller on the Coast to Coast AM talk radio show with George Noory and Art Bell.

Some have jokingly called it a "bee rapture." However, it is a serious problem.

BFD_Zayl

You know.. that has been stated on another forum that I go to regularly and also from a caller on the Coast to Coast AM talk radio show with George Noory and Art Bell.

Some have jokingly called it a "bee rapture." However, it is a serious problem.
indeed, michigan, the state I live in has been hit rather hard, food prices are already beginning a slow climb. the bees have just up and left, if it is the mobile phones fault, since I do not own one I have no qualms about having them banned, lol. either you need to make the call from your house, or, the last call you get or send from your phone might sound like "oh help..so hungry...*click* so, if it is indeed the fault of the mobile phone...well...smash 'em.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Sort of reminds me from the movie "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", when all the dolphins left.

yuvgotmel

indeed, michigan, the state I live in has been hit rather hard, food prices are already beginning a slow climb. the bees have just up and left, if it is the mobile phones fault, since I do not own one I have no qualms about having them banned, lol. either you need to make the call from your house, or, the last call you get or send from your phone might sound like "oh help..so hungry...*click* so, if it is indeed the fault of the mobile phone...well...smash 'em.

LOL.. I agree. I can't stand mobile phones; and I refuse to own one. My mother bought me a cell phone a couple of years ago for Christmas. I refused to activate it. It's currently in the top of a closet.

By the way, my name literally translates as "honeybee."

Melissa is a Greek word that originated (possibly) from Greek mythology. It means "honeybee."

I would like to reiterate though. Even though SOME are blaming the cell phone towers for the bee disappearances, I personally do not believe that would cause such a RAPID population drop. The cell phone towers most likely may be a factor in more of a "dwindling."

The current CCD though has been an EXTREMELY RAPID DECLINE. As scientists and beekeepers have stressed: "This is an emergency! This is an emergency!" (That is a direct quote from a scientist who started out a briefing on this subject recently.)

BFD_Zayl

LOL.. I agree. I can't stand mobile phones; and I refuse to own one. My mother bought me a cell phone a couple of years ago for Christmas. I refused to activate it. It's currently in the top of a closet.

By the way, my name literally translates as "honeybee."

Melissa is a Greek word that originated (possibly) from Greek mythology. It means "honeybee."

I would like to reiterate though. Even though SOME are blaming the cell phone towers for the bee disappearances, I personally do not believe that would cause such a RAPID population drop. The cell phone towers most likely may be a factor in more of a "dwindling."

The current CCD though has been an EXTREMELY RAPID DECLINE. As scientists and beekeepers have stressed: "This is an emergency! This is an emergency!" (That is a direct quote from a scientist who started out a briefing on this subject recently.)
I can reinforce the clain to rapid CCD, my friends uncle is an amateur bee keeper, owns around 8-10 hives. now, he only has two left, all of the other bees are gone, nowhere to be seen. it is not natural.

yuvgotmel

I can reinforce the clain to rapid CCD, my friends uncle is an amateur bee keeper, owns around 8-10 hives. now, he only has two left, all of the other bees are gone, nowhere to be seen. it is not natural.

When did he first see the colonies collapsing???

BFD_Zayl

When did he first see the colonies collapsing???
my friend says he noticed it over a course of 4 or so days, one hive would be gone..nothing to extreme, but then more and more would be gone. now he's left with only a couple left.

yuvgotmel

my friend says he noticed it over a course of 4 or so days, one hive would be gone..nothing to extreme, but then more and more would be gone. now he's left with only a couple left.

Wow! That is quick!

When was the first time he noticed this happening? Was it as early as last November (of 2006) or 2007?