• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA or NASCAR?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mr.guy said:
Just heard a neat cbc program querying the validity of human space exploration.
http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/quirks/archives/05-06/nov19.html
There's a link to listen to the program as well, available as of 2:00pm eastern time.

For anyone who listens to the program (or at least reads the synopsis), i wonder how many you think there is any use in sending people into space?
Personally, I have always had a prejudice against space exploration of any kind.

I hardly ever find people who agree with me, but in my book, "Charity begins at home".

When we think back to the pre Russia days, Ie The USSR says, money was always available for space research, even if the bulk of the population lived in conditions we would never want to even think of.

"that human space flight is about adventure."

The Earth has not yet been fully explored - the oceans are, to my mind, fascinating, and have much to offer. We have hardly really explored them.

"Canada's first female astronaut, and a research neurologist, points out that one of the most valuable things we've learned from human space travel is how the human body responds in zero gravity"......I would be interested to know how many trillions of $ have been spent to dicover the effects of zero gravity on the human body.........

I obviously read too far, because I became esconsed in Women Brewmasters and snapping Snapping Spaghetti; I was begining to think there was something strange going on..................

As for the benefits learned through space exploration, well, I am not sure as to the real validity of the contribution to society.

mr.guy

crapsack
One of the impressions i got from the program is how heavily the current program justifies itself by serindipitous probability of further biological discovery. Another argument states that the science of human space exploration is really best for furthering...human space exploration.

mr.guy

crapsack
micheal said:
As for the benefits learned through space exploration, well, I am not sure as to the real validity of the contribution to society
I have to say, i was expecting this from you micheal...historically, you're in line with the royal astronomical society.

mr.guy

crapsack
micheal said:
I hardly ever find people who agree with me, but in my book, "Charity begins at home".
Which is why i chose the title i did. Is human (as opposed to robotic) space exploration part of an "entertainment" budget?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I think human's are explorers. I think it's what we do. The technology that has come out of the Space Program has been amazing. I think that as long as we can do it, we should keep sending people up. Though, I think once the corporations get out in space, the government will be able to ease off it a bit. Let the people investigate space on their own. :)

mr.guy

crapsack
Darkdale said:
Though, I think once the corporations get out in space, the government will be able to ease off it a bit.
Well, that was what the X-prize was about. But corporations already have alot of activity in space (telecomunication sattelites). Where's the line start for them to chip in on a Mars manned exploration/colonization program?

mr.guy

crapsack
Darkdale said:
I think human's are explorers.
Ok. But as micheal stated, why not an equal investment in our own planets exploration? The deep of the oceans are still scientific frontier.

The technology that has come out of the Space Program has been amazing.
Hasen't most of that technology been pretty circular? Could you give me some breakthroughs developed as a consequence of the space program that have much application outside of space travel?

That is, besides the zero-g pen.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mr.guy said:
Ok. But as micheal stated, why not an equal investment in our own planets exploration? The deep of the oceans are still scientific frontier.

Hasen't most of that technology been pretty circular? Could you give me some breakthroughs developed as a consequence of the space program that have much application outside of space travel?

That is, besides the zero-g pen.
Slightly off topic, and a sad thought, but most scientific advances, and medical ones have come about at times of war..........