• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naraka

DavidH

What may I ask is your interest in Hinduism? There is much that is more relevant than this.

This is probably going to sound very selfish, but the main thing that got me interested in it is reincarnation. I'm also interested in Buddhism because of that, but for some reason, when I first started reading about Hinduism and the Gods, something just felt right. Like this is what I should be focusing my attention on, not Christianity. I have to admit though, it's kind of scary to even think about switching religions, especially from Christianity. But the thing is, I feel like the only reason I'm still a Christian is because I'm afraid of burning in Hell.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't worry, there is no hell. That was a concocted by early church leaders to control people with fear. The so-called references to hell in the bible are simply deliberate mis-translations of metaphors and parables, for the very purpose of control. The churches control people with fear, the people flock to the churches out of fear, the churches get rich from it. Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains do not believe in hell. Only Christians and Muslims. And even the Islamic concept of hell is not a permanent place.

Kalidas

This is probably going to sound very selfish, but the main thing that got me interested in it is reincarnation. I'm also interested in Buddhism because of that, but for some reason, when I first started reading about Hinduism and the Gods, something just felt right. Like this is what I should be focusing my attention on, not Christianity. I have to admit though, it's kind of scary to even think about switching religions, especially from Christianity. But the thing is, I feel like the only reason I'm still a Christian is because I'm afraid of burning in Hell.

Here let me ask you some questions.
1.Would a loving caring God who loves ALL his creations and is merciful exists, would such a being of infinite love and compassion REALLY condemn the very creations he loves to eternal hell?
2.I don't know about you but the idea of "Hell" has always seemed so strange and non nonsensical from a religious standpoint, do you not agree?
3.Why choose to live in fear and continue believing something simply because of fear, when you opt to live in happiness.

I agree with Jainaryan I can not remember where i saw it but I did see something that said hell was never first placed in the bible (the old testament doesn't mention hell, thus the reason Jews don't believe in Hell) and was only placed there as a scare tactic to gain new followers and to keep them. It is a LOT easier to get and keep followers if they believe they will be tortured for eternity if they don't. In case your not sure lets look at some statistics.

3rd largest religions int he world IS Hinduism, probably due to how long it has been around.

2nd would be Islam, they have forced people to believe in the past and again believe in hell (just not a permanent hell)

1st largest is Christianity much like Muslims forced people into believing yet their idea of hell is eternal

So as you can see as hell gets more extreme and more scary the more people flock to it out of fear. Fear is one of the first and strongest emotions humans feel, people know this and will use it against you. We choose to overcome fear and rather live in peace and love of God.

jagat

Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains do not believe in hell. Only Christians and Muslims. And even the Islamic concept of hell is not a permanent place.

Don't the followers of Madhva (dvaitins) believe some souls are destined to eternal hell?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I know several people who did the 'full' conversion, but it isn't easy. Be prepared for lot of 's__t' mostly from your own subconscious. But if you can manage, you will come out the other side a happier being, more patient, etc.

jagat

If I recall correctly they cherry picked verses from Shruti and Smriti which imply (when out of context) an eternal punishment in hellish realms (something like 'again and again they (the souls) go to lower realms of being'), paraphrasing Gita, 16.19-20.

I am Dvaitian and I do not believe in Heaven or hell.

Interesting. Are you a follower of Madhvacharya in particular, or are you just speaking on behalf of yourself? If the former, is it a misconception that Madhva taught about hell?

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
If I recall correctly they cherry picked verses from Shruti and Smriti which imply (when out of context) an eternal punishment in hellish realms (something like 'again and again they (the souls) go to lower realms of being'), paraphrasing Gita, 16.19-20.
This hell is not a physical place but suffering of soul due to bad karma and descending down in consciousness level.

It is correct that Madhavacharya said that souls failing to surrender to Sri Hari were eternally tormented in the hells. How this is to be interpreted is still up for debate. [Note for DavidH: Madhavacharya is the founder of a particular branch of Vaishnavism, whose philosophy is sometimes referred to as dvaita - duality]. There are many branches of Vaishnavism, which is itself but one branch of the Vedic knowledge tree.

Coming back to point of this thread, I would add to the suggestion that you visit a temple with the suggestion that you start reading texts.

It is not necessary to go to the temple, nor to read scripture, to be a Hindu - but both are a great aid. What is necessary is practice of the spiritual methods. Some of us consider the mind, and the body, as temple, with the deities in residence receiving their due worship as naturally as breathing. Nonetheless, such persons will not speak ill of temple going.

However, it should be said that the 'energy' (Shakti) of temples is variable. In some places, I have been overwhelmed, in others felt almost nothing. A visit to a temple can tell you a great deal, but not necessarily whether or not Hinduism is right for you. It can tell you if that temple, and perhaps that sect, is right for you.

The main thing to be understand is that Hinduism is not a religion where one can get to heaven - or liberation - simply by bearing the burden of beliefs. They must be laden as oblation onto the path of practice in which you, and only you, are responsible for the result.

Read scriptures, put them into practice. Temple-going is indeed a form of practice. But do not forget that the temple, the kingdom of heaven, is within.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I believe in hellish states of mind that we create for ourselves, and I believe in the results of our karma. The picture of Sri Yamaraj (death) sitting in the center of all kinds of punishments, I believe, are not literal, but teach us that when we are cruel to one, one will be cruel to us. It is just to teach us what it is like for the sentient being on the recieving end. It can happen now, or in another lifetime.

Hindu_hell.jpg

Maya3

There is no hell, it's myth created because of fear and to control the population.
Maya