• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name of God

What is the general sentiment concerning the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton? What about writing it?

I don't have the Talmud, so I can't read it (apparently nobody's attempted to digitize it yet; presumably because of the sheer enormity of the compilation), but I understand that most sects of Judaism disapprove of the practice. However, in the Tanakh, countless people say the Name without even a mention. Even when someone likely to be apathetic towards the name says it in the presence of a prophet, the prophet doesn't accuse the speaker of blasphemy. To me, it seems like the prohibition to "take the name of [God] in vain" was intended to keep it from being used like a curse, which is the case with "God" and "Jesus" in the English language. Personally, if I ever speak it, I pronounce it reverently, keeping in mind Yahshua's prayer that his name be hallowed.

Furthermore, in the time before the end, there are prophecies that all who call upon the name will be spared. That seems more like a command to use the name than to not use it.

Also, for me, keeping the Name in mind when my family makes me go to church helps me focus on why I've rejected Christianity–maybe it's just a psychological effect, but it seems to deter pagan theology/worldviews. It's hard to explain, but it makes me think of Israel (both the people and the land), and occasionally holidays or Temple activities. Again, it might just be a mental association, but it definitely helps.

Your opinion?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
(I'll get back on this issue, in more detail when time permits)

The 'name in vain' thing has more to do with vows than curses.

AFAIK, In the Tanach, we don't really know what name the people are actually saying. They could be saying the Tetragrammaton, but more likely not, they may be saying something like "HaShem".

The priestly ritual around the Tetragrammaton is very strict, time doesn't allow to elaborate ATM.

No one but a select few Kohens know the proper pronunciation.

In private prayer, sure, do as your heart tells you and call on the name all you want. In private. In public prayer, no. For a whole host of reasons.

truthonly

Did not the Messiah come and declare his Father's name (John 17:26), he quoted Deuteronomy 6:4 which has the Father's name in it.

According to Deuteronomy 6:4 the five books of Moses . It use the name Yahuwa .

The Five Books Of Moses Revealed In The Year 1473 B.C.E. 6 ; 4 , Says ; Shawmah 'Hear , O Yisrawale 'Israel , Yahuwa Elohinu , Yahuwa is Ekhawd 'One .