• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My very first Shrine.

Shuddhasattva

From what I was told (not 100% sure it's true) you CAN have a picture of the Dalai lama or a past family member. Am I correct?

Firstly, such legalistic observance of rules for rituals and whatnot is, in my opinion, an outgrowth of the dust that has collected on the mirror. It isn't Buddhist.

Secondly, I don't think the Dalai Lama would mind his presence there but it speaks to me something about the human mind that we so readily accept the spiritual credentials of others when they're trumpeted by institutions associated, rightly or wrongly, with a philosophy we identify with.

I may have done the same - but I have a little bit of insider knowledge as to the workings of institutional Tibetan Buddhism, and want nothing to do with it, least of all the ringleader of the Tibetan Refugee Fund racket.

You may wish to read a book by the Trimondis called "The Shadow of the Dalai Lama" - they are extremely erudite writers with a good grasp of vajrayana doctrines, although they ultimately fail to understand the meaning and instead describe doctrines and practices in a sinister light due to this misunderstanding. Nonetheless, they accurately portray Tibetan history up to and including the present Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lamas, since the 5th, have had a long history of atrocities and enacting tyranny on the Tibetan people - and other schools of Buddhism. Although we play nicer now for the Western cameras, there's still a oppression and persecution emanating from His Holiness' office. The Dalai Lama meddles in the affairs of the other schools, pretending to speak for all of Tibetan Buddhism rather than the refugee government.

The Dalai Lama is in no way shape or form the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism as a whole; not even his own sect, the Gelugpa (although, practically, he is the most temporally powerful spiritual leader, and controls the appointments of the spiritual leaders).

Nonetheless, he meddles in the affairs of the other schools and the West, which he plays up to parroting the doctrines we hold dear; rainbows and puppies and hallmark card worthy quotes, knows nothing of the true history of the Dalai Lama's position. For example, we don't know about the rampant child sex abuse in Tibetan monasteries - especially Gelug ones due to how this tendency historically manifested and institutionally justified itself - and the corresponding AIDS micro-epidemic in these monasteries as a result.

For whatever it's worth, I'm a karma kagyu initiate.

Amandameko

The Samurai Spirit
Firstly, such legalistic observance of rules for rituals and whatnot is, in my opinion, an outgrowth of the dust that has collected on the mirror. It isn't Buddhist.

Secondly, I don't think the Dalai Lama would mind his presence there but it speaks to me something about the human mind that we so readily accept the spiritual credentials of others when they're trumpeted by institutions associated, rightly or wrongly, with a philosophy we identify with.

I may have done the same - but I have a little bit of insider knowledge as to the workings of institutional Tibetan Buddhism, and want nothing to do with it, least of all the ringleader of the Tibetan Refugee Fund racket.

You may wish to read a book by the Trimondis called "The Shadow of the Dalai Lama" - they are extremely erudite writers with a good grasp of vajrayana doctrines, although they ultimately fail to understand the meaning and instead describe doctrines and practices in a sinister light due to this misunderstanding. Nonetheless, they accurately portray Tibetan history up to and including the present Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lamas, since the 5th, have had a long history of atrocities and enacting tyranny on the Tibetan people - and other schools of Buddhism. Although we play nicer now for the Western cameras, there's still a oppression and persecution emanating from His Holiness' office. The Dalai Lama meddles in the affairs of the other schools, pretending to speak for all of Tibetan Buddhism rather than the refugee government.

The Dalai Lama is in no way shape or form the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism as a whole; not even his own sect, the Gelugpa (although, practically, he is the most temporally powerful spiritual leader, and controls the appointments of the spiritual leaders).

Nonetheless, he meddles in the affairs of the other schools and the West, which he plays up to parroting the doctrines we hold dear; rainbows and puppies and hallmark card worthy quotes, knows nothing of the true history of the Dalai Lama's position. For example, we don't know about the rampant child sex abuse in Tibetan monasteries - especially Gelug ones due to how this tendency historically manifested and institutionally justified itself - and the corresponding AIDS micro-epidemic in these monasteries as a result.

Excuse my ignorance but is this all a rant because you don't like the Dalai Lama or is it because there are really things going on? Are you a Tibetan buddhist? Or another sec?

Onkara

Hi Amanda
I think it is important to get on with practising Buddhism, specifically mediation and the 8 fold path, as you set out above and not let the mind become absorb in politics and cultural issues at this stage. :) I am not a practising Buddhist but have studied some Theravada, so I cannot add more that that, but hope it is encouraging in your new found path! Best wishes!

Shuddhasattva

Excuse my ignorance but is this all a rant because you don't like the Dalai Lama or is it because there are really things going on? Are you a Tibetan buddhist? Or another sec?

I suppose if you wanted to youc ould simplify it down to "because I don't like the Dalai Lama" - but it's more that I don't like the systemic corruption he champions and the naivete of Westerners who hear his praises trumpeted by his marketers and assume accordingly that he's a wonderful man, a living saint, and the leader of Tibetan Buddhism.

I am a Tibetan Buddhist - my transmission comes primarily from the karma kagyu, although this lineage has absorbed within it many other kagyu and nyingma transmissions.

Please keep in mind that there are many schools of Tibetan Buddhism - gelug (Dalai Lama) is only one, though the politically dominant one for the last 600~ years, since the 5th Dalai Lama wrested power of Tibet through documented violence and intimidation.

I'm not here to preach sectarianism against gelugpas though. I have deep respect for the original teachings of Tsang Khapa, founder of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. He is revered also in the Kagyu. But I'm appalled by the degradation of Tibetan Buddhism as a whole - deep corruption in all sects, but perhaps most of all the Gelug due to their political power and its corrupting effects. I reject also my own sect's political insanities, such as this current karmapa controversy over two claimants that are both, in my opinion, not the reincarnation of the previous karmapa.

Tibetan Buddhism has become almost completely politicized and is growing increasingly commercialized - though still elitist and secretive.

Please keep in mind also that Tibet, pre Chinese invasion, had an average life expectancy of about 35 years. It had some of the harshest, most deprived living conditions in the world, with 85%+ GDP equivalent going to the monasteries to support the often lavish lifestyles of the monks, especially reincarnate tulkus whose selection was often decided politically and financially.

It's not all kittens and flowers and fashionable celebrities arm-in-arm with guys in robes. There are (or were) torture implements in the dungeons of Potala, the Dalai Lama's palace in Tibet.

Don't believe me on whatever I have claimed, that's not important - but I urge you not to abandon skepticism and scrutiny of institutions and individuals merely because the philosophy they claim to represent is appealing to you. Lives get wrecked making this mistake - ask, for example, women exploited by corrupt lamas.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear amandameko,

From what I was told (not 100% sure it's true) you CAN have a picture of the Dalai lama or a past family member. Am I correct?

I have buddha and a representation of dharma and sangha , for dharma it is usualaly a book or a small text and for sangha I have a stupa but can allso be a picture of a respected teacher .

to have buddha and small representations of dharma and sangha is to help one when taking refuge as one takes refuge in all three .

you have a book with a picture of the dalai lama so in ways you could say this is representing both .

in many dharmic traditions it is customary to have a picture of someone to whom you would look to for guidance that is why many tibetans have a photo of the dalai lama , if one had a photo of a family member I assume it would be for the same reason as one is respecting ones trachers .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear shuddhasatva ji,

whilst I do not want to deny that there is corruption within the system , I am not sure that this is the place to air it . this thread is about seting up ones first alter , I fondly remember first seting up mine , it is a deeply meaningfull time when one formaly accknowledges respet for buddha dharma and sangha .
I think in the light of what you say we all need to reflect on the true source of dharma ,that being the buddha and his teachings . and let these problems which do not occur only in tibetan buddhism but occur all over the world in every religious tradition and secular institution , be a word of warning to us all that we should seek to understand the dharma as taught by the buddha .
we may wish to give thanks and respect to a tradition as without it we would not have recived contact with that dharma , but we should be constantly mindfull that this is kali yuga , corruption and missunderstanding are a constant problem . I am not advocating that we accept ignorance or brush it under the carpet but I do not think that dwelling in human failings is the most positive way to advance human society .
it is very important that we counter bad practice with good practice , let us discuss right thought ...speach ....action , and let that action become the example which is needed to keep that dharma pure and true .

similarly I am an initiate within the liniage of je tsongkhapa , and had to leave my teacher because of noncence that my tradition became imbroiled in , which is more than sad ! despite this unfortunate state of affairs I will never give up my devotion to true dharma ! nor will I go down the hurt and offended stream of thought , as to be angry is to loose understanding and all liklihood of a compassionate outlook , without compassion there is no hope in this world and no buddhism .

prehaps we could start a thread examining the merits of tibetan buddhism on the strict proviso that we focus on preserving the benificial aspects of each tradition and do not become boged down in the negative aspects as in truth these are fallings from the path , we meed to re establish that path .