• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My own Dís?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My aunt, who was my godmother and my mother's youngest sister died almost 20 years ago, at the age of 63 of liver cancer. My brothers and sisters and I were extremely close to her. Especially my eldest sister. We were devastated. My parents were already dead.

We looked forward to my aunt and uncle's visits to the shore every summer for their week's vacation. We spent every possible moment on the beach, on the boardwalk, and just being together. One day I had some business in the area of their house and stopped in. My uncle (godfather) was home, but my aunt was not home from work yet. I apologized for just falling in. My uncle said "well come in!" When my aunt came home and saw me sitting there she all but shrieked with delight and a big smile and hug.

Anyway, odd as this sounds, I miss my aunt even more than I do my parents. My parents were in their 80s, and it was to be expected they would pass soon. But my Gods, my aunt was only 63!

I dream of her all the time. OK. Here's the weird part... The dream I had one night was the weirdest of all. I was at what I think was a wedding. It was in a lobby of a banquet hall, and whom do I see walking towards me in a nice fur coat and looking radiant and as healthy and lovely as I've ever seen her, but my aunt.

My jaw dropped, my eyes bugged out and I was speechless. We approached each other, I put my arms out tentatively and stuttered "how is this possible? you left us, how can you be here?". She said something like, "it was corrected and I am here". I was dumbstruck with joy. We hugged tightly. Then she said "I'm not going anywhere, I'll always be here". Now I realize that she is my dís who is watching over me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Dís (dees) has several meanings, but generally refers to a female ancestor spirit. The dísir (plural) generally watch over their families. The male counterpart is usually called álf (owlf, plural álfar). Our ancestors' spirits are as much a part of our lives as the Gods and our living family are.