• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My neighbor is running a church in her backyard.

CharmingOwl

So I went to Sams to get some groceries and when I came back, there was this paper on my door.

"Q- What is it? A. Our home Church
Q- Where is it A.[Redacted] It's a residential address in the neighborhood
Q- When is it? A. This Saturday at 10am
Q- What's it all about????

A. Are you tired of the same ole same ole when you go to church? Have you given up on church because you felt empty when you left, like something was missing?
The Apostles used to meet in homes, where neighbors and fellow Christians got together to praise God, read scripture and discuss the word of God. They shared stories and testimonies, they laughed and cried together and they prayer for each other.
That is what I would like for us. Can we try it out this Saturday? Just come as you are, bring your kids. We will sing, read from the Word, and well, just be!
Since this is OUR home church, we all will have a voice. Bring a favorite scripture to read, or share a special moment. This will be Our church so we will just go where the Holy Spirit leads us
There will be grape juice and bread for a communion.
Hope to see you on Sat. morning yo worship God right here in our neighborhood! Just come to the backyard!
Sincerely, Cathy r.
Yes! There will be coffee and snack for kids!!"

Is this a normal Christian thing? This sounds a bit strange to be doing but I don't know anything about that religion so maybe that is why.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Is this a normal Christian thing? This sounds a bit strange to be doing but I don't know anything about that religion so maybe that is why.
It has been and still is normal for some Christian communities. The Amish, for example, still practice this as the normal way of doing things.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Myself, my husband, and two friends used to do Interfaith sermons on Sunday mornings in the living room at our old house.

I think other than the four of us, the only people that ever attended were the children of our friends' friends.

I kinda miss it sometimes, but it was a lot of work, and still, no one would come.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So I went to Sams to get some groceries and when I came back, there was this paper on my door.

A. Are you tired of the same ole same ole when you go to church? Have you given up on church because you felt empty when you left, like something was missing?
The Apostles used to meet in homes, where neighbors and fellow Christians got together to praise God, read scripture and discuss the word of God. They shared stories and testimonies, they laughed and cried together and they prayer for each other.
That is what I would like for us. Can we try it out this Saturday? Just come as you are, bring your kids. We will sing, read from the Word, and well, just be!
Since this is OUR home church, we all will have a voice. Bring a favorite scripture to read, or share a special moment. This will be Our church so we will just go where the Holy Spirit leads us
Hope to see you on Sat. morning yo worship God right here in our neighborhood! Just come to the backyard!
Sincerely, Cathy r.

The original Christian churches, back in the first century, were house churches, literally people came to worship in a small group in someone's home...

We Never Know

No Slack

Sincerely, Cathy r.

Do they need a business license?
I ask that because now days many churches are ran as a business.

Viker

Häxan
Oh.. there's been news pieces made about the government cracking down on home brewed churches.

Like this one from 2012. Accused of zoning violations...

Home Church Pastor Jailed 60 Days for '67 Zoning Violations'

Your neighbor ought to be careful. It could result in heavy fines and possibly jail time.
I love how they try to twist it into something it is not.

"His crime is hosting a weekly, private Bible study in his own home. The government argues the man has a church on his property and must therefore correct 67 zoning violations. And right at this very moment a father of six kids sits in a Phoenix prison for teaching the Bible on his own property"

His crimes aren't private Bible study or teaching the Bible on his property. It's zoning violations. Probably due to parking and capacity issues. He could fix the violations or maybe petition for zoning laws to be amended, instead of making it out to be something it is not. Zoning laws are a local government thing, councilors or alderman are open to suggestions from their constituents.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Sincerely, Cathy r.

Quite common, in reality. We started our church at my home.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh.. there's been news pieces made about the government cracking down on home brewed churches.

Home Church Pastor Jailed 60 Days for '67 Zoning Violations'

Your neighbor ought to be careful. It could result in heavy fines and possibly jail time.
You break the law and you face the consequences. That's how society works. Among other reasons such things exist, parking has already been mentioned.
I am so sick and tired of right wingers complaining about having to follow the rules and acting like the consequences are something personal against them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You break the law and you face the consequences. That's how society works. Among other reasons such things exist, parking has already been mentioned.
I am so sick and tired of right wingers complaining about having to follow the rules and acting like the consequences are something personal against them.
Where in the world did you get ever get "right wingers" from???

This isn't even about politics.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Where in the world did you get ever get "right wingers" from???

This isn't even about politics.
You are a right winger promoting Christian nonsense where everything against them is unfair and uncalled for. They aren't cracking down on home churches. That's a Christian myth. It's no different than saying you can't live off the grid despite lots of people doing it. You just can't break the law, and sometimes zoning laws actually are sensible and good policy to keep places where people live suitable for living (and not having people a couple blocks down parking in your driveway to go to your neighbor's church).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You are a right winger promoting Christian nonsense where everything against them is unfair and uncalled for. They aren't cracking down on home churches. That's a Christian myth. It's no different than saying you can't live off the grid despite lots of people doing it. You just can't break the law, and sometimes zoning laws actually are sensible and good policy to keep places where people live suitable for living (and not having people a couple blocks down parking in your driveway to go to your neighbor's church).
Promoting? Are you daft?

I was just pointing out the possibility of legal issues that could arise. o_O

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Promoting? Are you daft?
You put it forth as a claim.
I was just pointing out the possibility of legal issues that could arise. o_O
No, you spoke with certainty that they are "cracking down on home churches."

Violating zoning laws isn't anything against churches or Christianity unless you're playing along with their martyrdom complex.

pearl

Its not an entirely new concept, there use to be a neighborhood church years ago not far from me. After all Jesus said where two or three are gathered there I will be.