• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Fellow Christians: Is a Christmas Tree an Idol?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
It could be an idol; but my belief has always been that it's not an idol if I don't worship it. I am wondering if I have been wrong about that, which is why I asked for people of my faith's opinion on it. :)
But my point to that is, if it is not, get rid of it, and if you can't, it is. But I think SW makes a good and valid point that should be taken into consideration

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Sure, but does that matter. Would be have said cut them down but leave the christmas trees up as they look nice... haha
Since they are not being worshiped maybe so. In order for something to qualify as an idol it must be worshiped.

Can't you post something from it in your post? I don't do links most of the time.

IDOL, IDOLATRY

An idol is an image, a representation of anything, or a symbol that is an object of passionate devotion, whether material or imagined. Generally speaking, idolatry is the veneration, love, worship, or adoration of an idol. It is usually practiced toward a real or supposed higher power, whether such power is believed to have animate existence (as a human, an animal, or an organization) or is inanimate (as a force or lifeless object of nature). Idolatry generally involves some form, ceremony, or ritual.

The Hebrew terms used to refer to idols often highlighted the origin and inherent worthlessness of idols, or they were derogatory terms of contempt. Among these are words rendered “carved or graven image” (literally, something carved out); “molten statue, image, or idol” (literally, something cast or poured out); “horrible idol”; “vain idol” (literally, vanity); and “dungy idol.” “Idol” is the usual rendering of the Greek word ei′do·lon.

Not All Images Are Idols. God’s law not to form images (Ex 20:4, 5) did not rule out the making of all representations and statues. This is indicated by Jehovah’s later command to make two golden cherubs on the cover of the Ark and to embroider representations of cherubs on the inner tent covering of ten tent cloths for the tabernacle and the curtain separating the Holy from the Most Holy. (Ex 25:18; 26:1, 31, 33) Likewise, the interior of Solomon’s temple, the architectural plans for which were given to David by divine inspiration (1Ch 28:11, 12), was beautifully embellished with engraved carvings of cherubs, palm-tree figures, and blossoms. Two cherubs of oil-tree wood overlaid with gold stood in the Most Holy of that temple. (1Ki 6:23, 28, 29) The molten sea rested upon 12 copper bulls, and the sidewalls of the copper carriages for temple use were decorated with figures of lions, bulls, and cherubs. (1Ki 7:25, 28, 29) Twelve lions lined the steps leading up to Solomon’s throne.—2Ch 9:17-19.

These representations, however, were not idols for worship. Only the officiating priests saw the representations of the tabernacle interior and, later, of the temple interior. No one but the high priest entered the Most Holy, and that only on the Day of Atonement. (Heb 9:7) Thus there was no danger of the Israelites’ being ensnared into idolizing the golden cherubs in the sanctuary. These representations primarily served as a picture of the heavenly cherubs. (Compare Heb 9:23, 24.) That they were not to be venerated is evident from the fact that the angels themselves were not to be worshiped.—Col 2:18; Re 19:10; 22:8, 9.

Of course, there were times when images became idols, although not originally intended as objects of veneration. The copper serpent that Moses formed in the wilderness came to be worshiped, and therefore faithful King Hezekiah crushed it to pieces. (Nu 21:9; 2Ki 18:1, 4) The ephod made by Judge Gideon became “a snare” to him and to his household.—Jg 8:27.

Images as Aids in Worship. The Scriptures do not sanction the use of images as a means to address God in prayer. Such a practice runs counter to the principle that those seeking to serve Jehovah must worship him with spirit and truth. (Joh 4:24; 2Co 4:18; 5:6, 7) He tolerates no mixing of idolatrous practices with true worship, as is illustrated by his condemnation of calf worship, although the Israelites had attached his name thereto. (Ex 32:3-10) Jehovah does not share his glory with graven images.—Isa 42:8.

There is not a single instance in Scripture where faithful servants of Jehovah resorted to the use of visual aids to pray to God or engaged in a form of relative worship. Of course, some may cite Hebrews 11:21, which, according to the Catholic Douay Version,reads: “By faith Jacob, dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and adored the top of his rod.” Then in a footnote on this scripture it is held that Jacob paid relative honor and veneration to the top of Joseph’s rod, and the comment is made: “Some translators, who are no friends to this relative honour, have corrupted the text, by translating it: he worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.” However, rather than being a corruption of the text, as this footnote maintains, this latter rendering and comparable variants thereof are in agreement with the sense of the Hebrew text at Genesis 47:31 and have been adopted even by a number of Catholic translations, including The Jerusalem Bible.

Forms of Idolatry. Acts of idolatry referred to in the Bible included such revolting practices as ceremonial prostitution, child sacrifice, drunkenness, and self-laceration to the point of causing blood to flow. (1Ki 14:24; 18:28; Jer 19:3-5; Ho 4:13, 14; Am 2:8) Idols were venerated by partaking of food and drink in festivals or ceremonies in their honor (Ex 32:6; 1Co 8:10), by bowing and sacrificing to them, by song and dance before them, and even by a kiss. (Ex 32:8, 18, 19; 1Ki 19:18; Ho 13:2) Idolatry was also committed by arranging a table of food and drink for false gods (Isa 65:11), by making drink offerings, sacrificial cakes, and sacrificial smoke (Jer 7:18; 44:17), and by weeping in religious ceremony (Eze 8:14). Certain actions, such as tattooing the flesh, making cuttings upon the flesh, imposing baldness on the forehead, cutting the sidelocks, and destroying the extremity of the beard, were prohibited by the Law, possibly, at least in part, because of being linked with prevailing idolatrous practices of neighboring peoples.—Le 19:26-28; De 14:1.

Then there are the more subtle forms of idolatry. Covetousness is idolatry (Col 3:5), since the object of an individual’s cravings diverts affection from the Creator and thus, in effect, becomes an idol. Instead of serving Jehovah God in faithfulness, a person can become a slave to his belly, that is, to fleshly desire or appetite, and make this his god. (Ro 16:18; Php 3:18, 19) Since love for the Creator is demonstrated by obedience (1Jo 5:3), rebellion and pushing ahead presumptuously are comparable to acts of idolatry.—1Sa 15:22, 23.

Idol, Idolatry — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
To everyone: To be clear, I don't have any statues in my house of any gods from other faiths. My parents, however, had a couple of Buddhas in the house. My stepfather was raised a Buddhist and he liked the statues. They didn't worship them.

Yes, of course. I am a Follower/Disciple of Yeshua, which is less vague than the term "Christian".

So being a disciple of Jesus why would you then celebrate X-mas time knowing that Jesus was not born on december 25th? It never says december 25th is Jesus' birthday and God does not command this day to be celebrated.Jesus and his disciples never celebrated this day or any other day as Jesus' B-day.Neither did Jesus' parents.Jesus did command that we remember his death though.The last supper.

This is what is said in the holy scriptures.Ecclesiastes 7:1 "A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth."

So we can see from this passage that death is far more important than birth.Jesus made himself know to all by dying for all of mankind.By shedding his blood.This is how he made a name for himself.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So being a disciple of Jesus why would you then celebrate X-mas time knowing that Jesus was not born on december 25th? It never says december 25th is Jesus' birthday and God does not command this day to be celebrated.Jesus and his disciples never celebrated this day or any other day as Jesus' B-day.Neither did Jesus' parents.Jesus did command that we remember his death though.The last supper.

This is what is said in the holy scriptures.Ecclesiastes 7:1 "A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth."
I know and have known very well that Jesus was not born on December 25. They didn't talk enough about Jesus' parents to know whether or not they celebrated his birthday or not; I assume that Yeshua had a Bar Mitzvah, as He was Jewish. The Last Supper was, as Yeshua stated, done in "remembrance of Me", not of His death, so, they way I see it, we don't celebrate His death. The Christians I worship with do, however, celebrate his Resurrection.

I know and have known very well that Jesus was not born on December 25. They didn't talk enough about Jesus' parents to know whether or not they celebrated his birthday or not; I assume that Yeshua had a Bar Mitzvah, as He was Jewish. The Last Supper was, as Yeshua stated, done in "remembrance of Me", not of His death, so, they way I see it, we don't celebrate His death. The Christians I worship with do, however, celebrate his Resurrection.

Of course we don't celebrate his death.We remember his death.That is why I said,"Jesus did command that we remember his death though.The last supper." Why do you think Jesus said that Christine? Because he was about to die.Jesus already knew this, and stated it to his disciples many times.It was no surprise.Hence, the remembrance.
Another thing.It matters not whether the holy scriptures talked about Jesus parents enough or not.It is clear that Jesus' B-day was not celebrated because God's true followers did not celebrate B-days.Only pagans did.You will never find any passages in the holy scriptures that show God's people celebrating B-days.Only pagans for it is a form of idolatry.Putting ones self on a pedestal and glorifying ones self is a form of idolatry.All glory goes to God.

Here are some examples of pagans celebrating their birthdays.Genesis 40:20 Now the third day was Pharaoh's birthday, and he gave a feast for all his officials. He lifted up the heads of the chief cupbearer and the chief baker in the presence of his officials: 22 but he hanged the chief baker, just as Joseph had interpreted to them.…

Pharaoh as we know was a pagan King.He not only practiced this pagan custom but he also killed someone during his B-day feast.

Here is another........

Mark 6:21 Finally the opportune time came. On his birthday Herod gave a banquet for his high officials and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee.

27 So he immediately sent an executioner with orders to bring John’s head.The man went, beheaded John in the prison,28 and brought back his head on a platter.

Here we have King Herod who was throwing a huge B-day feast and he had John the Baptist killed by beheading him.Then he had his head displayed at the party.

These two rulers were pagans practicing a pagan custom.God's people never practiced such a thing.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To be able to say "a Christmas tree is an idol" is to be able to say anyone putting one up is an idolator. Isn't it? To say "if you put up a tree you are an idolator" is to lord it over them who do. What is worse? Is decorating your home with an item that people use to attach to some kind of worship ceremony worse than lording it over others for real NOW?

16Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--17things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. Colossians 2:26

How do people who judge Christmas trees able to explain away Colossians 2:26?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't think it's an idol, although I am not sure why we put them up. It's a pagan symbol. Nevertheless, they are very pretty and probably not going away.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think it's an idol, although I am not sure why we put them up. It's a pagan symbol. Nevertheless, they are very pretty and probably not going away.
You are not sure why people put up a Christams tree. Is it because they are pretty? Why do some people place a centerpiece on their dining table? A tree is a room centerpiece.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that people put them because their parents did it before them. It is a cultural thing, now. People have fond memories of the magic of Christmastime; the tree, the carols, the presents. Most people don't know of its origins or if they do, they don't care.

roger1440

I do stuff
On FB, I belong to a group for Messianic Jews and Christians. We are having a discussion that the author of the subject compared Aaron's Golden Calf, in Exodus, to the same kind of idolatry as a Christmas tree. I stated that a Christmas tree nowadays is not worshiped, but a decoration.
Am I mistaken about that? Do you agree with him that a Christmas Tree is an idol on the level with the Golden Calf or just an idol?
Any discussion is welcome.
If you know any Christians that worship a tree, there problems go far beyond this thread.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
On FB, I belong to a group for Messianic Jews and Christians. We are having a discussion that the author of the subject compared Aaron's Golden Calf, in Exodus, to the same kind of idolatry as a Christmas tree. I stated that a Christmas tree nowadays is not worshiped, but a decoration.
Am I mistaken about that? Do you agree with him that a Christmas Tree is an idol on the level with the Golden Calf or just an idol?
Any discussion is welcome.

If I put up a Christmas tree, it's nothing more than fun for my kids and something festive that we can do together. Lights are pretty. Pine needles on my carpet are not.