• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite atheistic inspiration

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
It would have to be RGI. One of his quotes is in my signature.

I understand that he, Robert Green Ingersoll, has earned the epitaph of The Great Agnostic, but when I read his works I find that the line blurs between agnosticism and atheism.

As far as I am concerned, he is the forefather of atheism.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if there's a person per say that I draw inspiration from as/for atheism. But there is a quote I have been drawn to for many, many years. It's an unknown author but often misattributed to Marcus Aurelius. It's is one part of the atheist wager (called so as it's a response to Pascal's) and it goes like this:
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As far as I am concerned, he is the forefather of atheism.
At the university library I worked at, a guy just finished his master's thesis or whatever on Ingersoll, and he had the same idea (and tons and tons of books being returned in a couple of totes and bags to prove his research, lol).

The Holy Bottom Burp

I just love Christopher Hitchens, I continue to watch his debates regardless of his untimely demise. I love the way he exposed theists and made them jump on the hot coals of reality. A brilliant mind, a brilliant speaker.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't know if there's a person per say that I draw inspiration from as/for atheism. But there is a quote I have been drawn to for many, many years. It's an unknown author but often misattributed to Marcus Aurelius. It's is one part of the atheist wager (called so as it's a response to Pascal's) and it goes like this:

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
Like it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.