• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Belief

chelee

I have questioned my faith alot over the past few years, but I have found that my searching has only brought me closer to my religion. I can't really explain why I feel I so drawn to this particular denomination, maybe because I'm not brave enough to challenge it. This is where you come in, I would appreciate any comments you have on Lutherans, to help me broaden my view of my religion.

eternity

I attend a Lutheran school but i am not Lutheran, infact i dont evan classify myself as anythinf in particular, just a child of God. I sp'ose Im still young but I attend an AOG church and while being very full-on, slightly intimidating and seemingly superficial, the peopel are genuinely free in the spirit and this is what sets this denomination aparrt for me from all others (and i have attended churches of quite a few denominations in my few years) but I dunno, whatever works for you hey..

chelee

I suppose its kind of cheesy when i say, "I searched my soul" but that's kind of what i did. this year has been especially rough for me, (I'm not going to go into details because i don't want people to feel sorry for me) but I've found that having some common beliefs with my family provided explanations for things that without my faith would have lead me into a state of hysteria! Seeing the relief in somebody's eyes after praying with them is a powerful experience. this is part of what has pulled me back to my church. I'm not saying i believe EVERTHING my regligion teaches, just that i really like the respect the ELCA youth show towards other beliefs, and other people in general.

Its not so much WHAT you believe but THAT you believe.
thanks for all of your responses. I usually don't have many opinions on anything, but i will try to post them when they come to me. i like feedback too, so keep 'er comin!
:bonk:

robtex

Veteran Member
I had a big revelation early on. I realized what was true to me was only what I could quantified in written statements. Soul searching is important but I learned a lot about myself by qualifying what I said in specfic sentences instead of abstractions. Opinions are nice and neccessary but I hope you use this and the net as a tool to add weight to the beliefs you have that are strong but have the flexablity to change when others share their knowledge or wisdom. What I believe today at age 36 is really different than what I did at age 20. I say that cause I have debated religion alot disscussed it alot with many people and when I saw a good theory or persuassive one I let it mold me. I say that to you because you said you have absolute conviction in your religion and that religion is one of dogma. There are going to be theories more valid than others and ideas stronger than others. Some will fall outside of Lutherism. I hope you grow on here...and find yourself as well as your beliefs.....and not by just searching your soul but by collective research that a place like this can offer.

Great to meet you again.....hope to benefit from your knowledge.

Bendio

Bleh. In my humbled opion, *I* (and I cannot stress that word enough, as I don't mean to offend anyone) do not believe that theories belong in religion, particularly Christianity. There are those who will tell you that the Bible contradicts itself, but in truth it does not. If you really want to learn more about your religion as a Christian, study the Bible. The words in there, the Words of God, are what your faith as a Christian are based on. This is not only where Luther got his ideas, but this is where Luther got everything. He supported scripture, with scripture. On this he based all of his confessions and essays and thesis. It was not Luthers intention to split away from the catholic church. On the contrary, he simply wanted the Catholic church to reform and do what they should have been doing: Not glorifying other people, and glorifying God. It just worked out that he had to run away from the catholic church and preach in secret.

ayani

i was raised Lutheran, and though i am no longer "practicing", i still have a good deal of respect for Lutherans. there's something admirably hardy about Lutheran spirituality, you know?

there's an on-line comic some Lutherans here might enjoy, called PewSitters, about a fictional Lutheran college. sweet and funny!

niceguy

gracie said:
i was raised Lutheran, and though i am no longer "practicing", i still have a good deal of respect for Lutherans. there's something admirably hardy about Lutheran spirituality, you know?

there's an on-line comic some Lutherans here might enjoy, called PewSitters, about a fictional Lutheran college. sweet and funny!
We seem to have a similar background. For that comic, I never heard about it before, Now I am hooked and no, you don't haver to be a Lutheran to like it thou some knowlege may help for some of the strips. :biglaugh:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
gracie said:
Not only good reading for the young ones Oldies like me should take a look too.

Terry

I have questioned my faith alot over the past few years, but I have found that my searching has only brought me closer to my religion. I can't really explain why I feel I so drawn to this particular denomination, maybe because I'm not brave enough to challenge it. This is where you come in, I would appreciate any comments you have on Lutherans, to help me broaden my view of my religion.

Jesus says, if you seek you shall find. I think that is what your searching did.