• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must read texts of Vishishtadvaita?

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Hello,

So from what I understand there are 3 major schools of Vedanta: Advaita (pantheistic), Vishistadvaita (panentheistic), and Dvadiata (dualistic).

In the past I have researched Advaita-Vedanta but recently I've become interested in learning more about Vishistadvaita, for I've always been pretty drawn to "panentheistic" philosophies, and Vishistadvaita sounds very panentheistic to me - The Universe exists in Ishvara and Ishvara in the Universe (Atman), but ultimately Ishvara transcends the Universe as well. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Vishistadvaita seems like a "middle ground" between Advaita (everything is literally pure Brahman), and the dualism of Dvadiata. By the way, please correct me if anything I've said is wrong.

I see that Ramanuja is regarded as the founder of Vishistadvaita.

Anyhow, what are some of the major texts one should ready to better understand Vishistadvaita philosophy?

Chakra

Premium Member
Hello,

So from what I understand there are 3 major schools of Vedanta: Advaita (pantheistic), Vishistadvaita (panentheistic), and Dvadiata (dualistic).

In the past I have researched Advaita-Vedanta but recently I've become interested in learning more about Vishistadvaita, for I've always been pretty drawn to "panentheistic" philosophies, and Vishistadvaita sounds very panentheistic to me - The Universe exists in Ishvara and Ishvara in the Universe (Atman), but ultimately Ishvara transcends the Universe as well. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Vishistadvaita seems like a "middle ground" between Advaita (everything is literally pure Brahman), and the dualism of Dvadiata. By the way, please correct me if anything I've said is wrong.

I see that Ramanuja is regarded as the founder of Vishistadvaita.

Anyhow, what are some of the major texts one should ready to better understand Vishistadvaita philosophy?
Well, you should start off with the Sri Bhasya by Ramanuja. If you want to get into a little bit of Visishtadvaitic theology, you should read the BG commentary by Ramanuja as well.

These are what I started when I converted to Sri Vaishnavism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
punkd, I've never read any of it. The best textbook, for some of us, is experience. One of the remnants of Abrahamic thinking that is carried over to new converts to Hinduism is this idea that scriptures are incredibly important. Fact is, many Hindus haven't read any of it.

Of course, if you have a need for philosophy, by all means go for it. But all pure knowledge is to be found deep within, not in books. That is why Sanatana Dharma is eternal ... no fire can destroy the knowledge ... it's right there ... at the core of each being.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
axlyz said:
Well, you should start off with the Sri Bhasya by Ramanuja. If you want to get into a little bit of Visishtadvaitic theology, you should read the BG commentary by Ramanuja as well.

These are what I started when I converted to Sri Vaishnavism.

Do you know if there are any good english translations of these available? All I could really find on Amazon was this: Sri Ramanuja Gita Bhasya: Translated by Swami Adidevananda: 9788178235189: Amazon.com: Books

punkd, I've never read any of it. The best textbook, for some of us, is experience. One of the remnants of Abrahamic thinking that is carried over to new converts to Hinduism is this idea that scriptures are incredibly important. Fact is, many Hindus haven't read any of it.

Of course, if you have a need for philosophy, by all means go for it. But all pure knowledge is to be found deep within, not in books. That is why Sanatana Dharma is eternal ... no fire can destroy the knowledge ... it's right there ... at the core of each being.

I appreciate your words of advice, and I completely agree with you. You could definitely say I have a passion for philosophy and reading, however, the most genuine understanding I've gained about Buddhism and Hinduism has come from actual experience. Now that I live in a big city, I've been able to attend a Buddhist sangha. What I've learned from reading books on Buddhism pales in comparison to what I've gained from attending this sangha. A year ago I read quite a bit of books on Hinduism, but I really hope to start visiting a Hindu Temple near me to start gaining actual experience. I meditate almost daily and lately have started meditating on Krishna periodically throughout the day and saying the mantra "Om Krishnaya Namah." But nonetheless my current experience of Hinduism is very limited and I'm aware of that, I need to visit actual Temples to get a more full picture of the Hindu culture and experience.

Chakra

Premium Member
It's not wrong to read books. Scriptures give a lot of philosophical and theological insights that help your salvation. It's not easy to get the truth from "the inside". Especially Vedantic philosophy. Those things are complicated.

Chakra

Premium Member
Do you know if there are any good english translations of these available? All I could really find on Amazon was this: Sri Ramanuja Gita Bhasya: Translated by Swami Adidevananda: 9788178235189: Amazon.com: Books

I personally just use an online edition of the Gita Bhasya, since the one that I bought is at home and I don't remember what it was. http://www.srimatham.com/uploads/5/5/4/9/5549439/ramanuja_gita_bhashya.pdf

I'll get back to you if I find a good Bhasya. I suggest buying from an author who is a Sri Vaishnava.

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Namaste,

I am not a VA nor have read much about it, but it is generally understood that Brahma sutra and so commentaries upon it have to be read last, as Brahma sutra is the topmost canonical text and any one who writes commentary is considered as an authority and can be challenged into a duel, where the acharya has to defend whatever he has written, else his acharyahood or honorific title may be withdrawn.

Late Dr. SMS Chari's books are read widely by VA. Some say that his translations of Ramanuja Gita Bhashya is better as he was a VA. Adidevananda of Ramakrishna mission has also written a commentary, which one can take up for comparative study, but for a VA, it is better to study a translation done by a VA than an Advaitin. All monks of Sri Ramakrishna mission are advaitins.

If prakaraNa grantha-s are available, they are to be studied first as they give you the basics of VA philosophy. Later, with this base study Gita with VA perspective and then study vedAnta samgrah, a digest of all upanishads from VA POV by Sri rAmAnujAcArya ji. Sri rAmAnujAcArya ji has not written verse-by-verse commentary on upanishads. Sri vedAnta deSika, a great vaiShNava scholar and an AcArya has also contributed to VA literature and has written commenaty on ISA Upanishad. It was Sri ranga rAmAnuja munI, who wrote commentaries on principal upanishad and so is revered as upanishad bhASyakAra. It is said that his views did not match with the earliest VA and an erudite scholar Sri bhaTTa bhAskara who was the first critic of Sri Adi SankarAcArya ji in his brahma sutra bhASya (which some say is available to, but in corrupt form). It is said that later VA and vaiShNava-s were inspired by his teachings and his objections. Sri ranga rAmAnuja muni didnt agree with Sri bhaTTa bhAskara interpretation on panca-brahma-upanishad. Sri bhaTTa bhAskara has written a commentary on Taittiriya Samhita and is highly respected for it's scholarliness

Please note that there are two sub-sects in Sri VaiShNavism. I dont know much details about it.

So in order it should be

1. prakaraNa grantha-s (if available) or lectures by VA AcArya-s
2. gitA with rAmAnuja bhASya
3. vedAnta sAra
n. brahma sutra with Sri bhASya of Sri rAmAnuja

I hope this helps

Hari OM