• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslim Soldiers

Qymaen

Strange Paradox
During times of battle, especially nowadays, how did/do Muslims find the time to pray throughout the day? And if they don't is that some kind of sin?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
During times of battle, especially nowadays, how did/do Muslims find the time to pray throughout the day? And if they don't is that some kind of sin?

When the Prophet was in a battle once and feared the enemy would attack, he divided the army into 2 groups. one group stood guard while the other group prayed with the messenger, when the middle of the prayer was reached, the group which was praying stood guard and the other group joined the Prophet peace be upon him in prayer for the second half.

i hope that answers your question.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
What if they actually WERE under attack or if it was too dangerous to remain stationary? I presume a degree of allowance is made

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
What if they actually WERE under attack or if it was too dangerous to remain stationary? I presume a degree of allowance is made

yes that is correct. in one of the early battles of Islams history, known as the battle of Mu'tah the muslims were fighting from sunrise to sunset non-stop due to the massive enemy numbers against the muslims.

InformedIgnorance

I thought as much, thank you.

BTW are there different expectations of muslim soldiers (and their commanders) if they are fighting a holy war as opposed to a secular war.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I thought as much, thank you.

BTW are there different expectations of muslim soldiers (and their commanders) if they are fighting a holy war as opposed to a secular war.

what do you mean by expectations?

are you by any chance referring to how the Muslim soldiers in recent news turned against their leaders and supported the civilians? whether we should expect that, right?

InformedIgnorance

Well that would be one possible type of expectation, yes, but also in terms of how they engage in religious observations, the influence of holy sites on deployment, etc... I was basically asking a broader question, so it is understandable if formulating a precise answer is more difficult, perhaps if you know of any resources on it (my search was without much result)?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
to be honest i didn't understand what you meant by your first question. unfortunately sometimes i have difficulty answering what would seem as an easy question by many others, it's due to my limited knowledge.

now i kind of understand your question, i should have said this before but Islam is a way of life, it is not just a faith and about spirituality. there is no separation of state and religion in islam, that is a foreign idea to us. just as the view of science and religion not being compatible.

any war that muslims take part in has to do with islam/religion. for any situation that we are in results in some kind of changes. for example when one is travelling and their trip is longer than 85 km they are allowed to shorten their prayer as well as join join it with the other prayer which in a normal situations is not allowed. in war changes take place too. and as you have stated it is difficult to give a precise answer or explanation.

now the big question, is what i have said is related to what you asked? if it is then i can get you links that explain the duties of the muslim army and that of the individual soldiers.

InformedIgnorance

Yes it is mostly in line with what I was wondering, ((though I would note that some armed conflicts would seem at least to outsiders to have more to do with religious issues than other conflicts)) thank you

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Yes it is mostly in line with what I was wondering, ((though I would note that some armed conflicts would seem at least to outsiders to have more to do with religious issues than other conflicts)) thank you

some links that contain information regarding rules of war:

Muttaqun OnLine - Jihad: According to Quran and Sunnah

http://www.federationpress.com.au/pdf/IslamicLawsonWarPeace.pdf

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/78262-jihad-way-allah.html

i hope they are helpful. let me know if you are after something else.

Qymaen

Strange Paradox
When the Prophet was in a battle once and feared the enemy would attack, he divided the army into 2 groups. one group stood guard while the other group prayed with the messenger, when the middle of the prayer was reached, the group which was praying stood guard and the other group joined the Prophet peace be upon him in prayer for the second half.

i hope that answers your question.
What about modern times? Like say during the War on Terror in Afghanistan or Iraq? Or Somalia? How would that work?

Also it seems rather militarily stupid for half an army to be pulled out of battle while the other half goes in. What of they were about to achieve a military breakthrough?

Plus why would their military leader leave the battle so he can pray? That seems to be a good way to get routed.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
What about modern times? Like say during the War on Terror in Afghanistan or Iraq? Or Somalia? How would that work?

Also it seems rather militarily stupid for half an army to be pulled out of battle while the other half goes in. What of they were about to achieve a military breakthrough?

Plus why would their military leader leave the battle so he can pray? That seems to be a good way to get routed.

maybe i didn't state clearly the part where the 2 armies had not met yet. actually it seems i haven't stated that, i stated that when they 'were' in battle. sorry for the misunderstanding. if fighting is taking place then it would not be right to break up the army and become vulnerable in order to pray.