• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Musical: 'Cats'

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Working on upcoming the musical at my high school has just started. Our first rehearsal was today. And I'm pretty excited but nervous at the same time. Our musical, Cats, is quite a feat for any high school to try and perform, and my high school is brand new-- I will be part of the first graduating class-- so we only have freshmen and sophomores, which leaves us with even less people to perform it.

I have always worked backstage, and I was stage manager in the last play, earlier this year, and I'm stage manager in this one, too. However, what is probably the most exciting and nervous is the fact that even though I did not audition at all, my director gave me a part.

I was a bit skeptical at first. I have wanted to act for a while, and I can act pretty well, but Cats is all sung and danced and-- who guessed it-- I can't do either. My part is the Great Rumpus Cat, and luckily, it only involves dancing for about two minutes on stage. So I feel that it is a good place to begin.

My part is in the song, "The Awful Battle of the Pekes and Pollicles," which is about a dispute between two dog clans, which I come to settle.

Here it is in the movie, and I am the one with the flashing red eyes and the R on my chest, I'm a bit hard to miss: YouTube - Cats the musical [Dvd] - 09 - The Pekes and the Pollicles
(I come in at about 4:15, but I suggest you watch the whole song, it's one of the best in the musical, in my opinion.)

I have no doubt that it's the weirdest part in the whole production, but the cool thing is that the other cat that I dance along with in basically my entire scene, is played by one of my longtime friends, so it will be interesting to share the stage with him.

I just wanted to give you a little insight into what will be consuming my entire free time for the next 3 months. Feel free to ask any questions or comment.

nutshell

Sounds great! Have fun. Cats is unique in that it seems more like a dance production than a musical.

kadzbiz

I'm sorry to say that "Cats" is the only musical I've ever disliked, oh, that and "The Pirates of Penzance".