• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music ties into Emotion-How?

Apotheosis

Quick question, I have always wondered how music can effect emotion, so does anyone have an explanation for the tie between music and emotion? How can sound waves effect my emotions so much?

Thanks in advance

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Good question, and Fluffy has found some good scientific articles on the subject.

I would add that there is also 'the association factor' - for exampple a programm (which I think still is broadcast today) which I used to hear every Sunday evening at about six in the evening called "Songs of Praise" makes me feel instatly depressed.

Why? because that meant the week-end was 'over with' - and I would have to go back to my school next day (as a weekly border).

Whenever I hear "When a Child is Born" (Johnny Mathis) - I start crying; it was being played on the car radio as I drove home after the birth of my oldest son. There are loads of examples I could site of associations I am aware of.:)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Apotheosis said:
Quick question, I have always wondered how music can effect emotion, so does anyone have an explanation for the tie between music and emotion? How can sound waves effect my emotions so much?

Thanks in advance
Chills

I get chills when I hear a particular passage in music. It may have something to do with the specific instruments (I am including the human voice as an instrument) that are playing or the harmonies that they are achieving. Disney movies that have songs usually excel in tapping the chill factor with their crescendos and bold orchestration. I think a lot of instrumental music (because there are no lyrics) can cause us to stir up emotions because we can make any impressions of what that particular composition based on what it means to us. Lyrical songs can do the same but there is not much room for interpretation. Music depending on where we are and what we are doing when we are listening can easily cause engrams that when heard again could make us relive the memory and emotions that we were feeling from the first or last time we heard that song. This process varies from individual to individual.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Just a thought. From the moment we are born, our mothers learn how to sing gentle songs to help us go to sleep.

Religious meetings more often than not have music; there is definitely something 'emotional' when a whole congregation sings. There is something much more basic than we realize, based on music.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I listened to Select Start play their music. :)

I think it has to do with sounds we grow up hearing; heartbeats, rain, birds singing... every sound that has a pattern is in our memories, and I think music usually tends to (whether subconsciously or consciously) draw on those patterns and remind us of things where we've heard similar patterns.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I listened to Select Start play their music. :)

I think it has to do with sounds we grow up hearing; heartbeats, rain, birds singing... every sound that has a pattern is in our memories, and I think music usually tends to (whether subconsciously or consciously) draw on those patterns and remind us of things where we've heard similar patterns.

I agree; I am sure you are right. It starts in the womb.;)