• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music in film...plus

gnomon

I don't think I need to expound upon the power of music combined with imagery. After No Country For Old Men gave us a film without the usual accompanying soundtrack I was thinking about those films which provided a great combination. There are also those pieces of music that are played as well as those that are overexposed.

The point of this? A wide open discussion on music in film. Anything from:

How many film scenes actually work with "O Fortuna"?

Has "Lux Aeterna" overtaken Orff's work in being the most overplayed musical piece in videos?

What pieces of music in film provide an extraordinary emotional, spiritual or whatever impact for you? For me, "The Gael" in the final sequence of The Last of the Mohicans is outstanding.

How influential was the soundtrack for 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Do I need to read a copy of the MLA handbook or APA manual of style?

Some links to the music,
YouTube - Excalibur (1981) Montage
Yes, it's a montage but I think this is a decent montage to the music. Plus, the music is in the film.

YouTube - Lux Aeterna By Clint Mansell
YouTube - Requiem for a Tower
The original and another popular version.

WARNING!!!
The next link shows the last 7:30 of the Last of the Mohicans. Don't watch if you haven't seen or want to see the film.
YouTube - The Last Of The Mohicans-End Scene
This particular version "stretched" to fit the length of the scene is great.

So there's a start.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I find it interesting how the lack of music can crank up the tension in a movie. I think that is one of the things that make M. Night Shamalong's movies so good.

Aqualung

Tasty
How many film scenes actually work with "O Fortuna"?
I've never heard it in a film. I've only ever heard it in commercials where they're deliberately choosing something well-known as being very dramatic in order to sort of satirise the product.

Has "Lux Aeterna" overtaken Orff's work in being the most overplayed musical piece in videos?
Can such a good song ever be overplayed?

Do I need to read a copy of the MLA handbook or APA manual of style?
Chicago style FTW. MLA and APA are by far the ugliest, clunkiest formatting styles ever created. It never fails to amaze me that they became to embedded in scholastic minds.

d3vaLL

The Donnie Darko soundtrack is by far, my favorite soundtrack to a movie. It's original, it plays off the emotion of paranoia and ambiguousity (not a word, I know.)

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
How influential was the soundtrack for 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Fun trivia many people may already know: Pink Floyd was originally offered a shot at putting together a soundtrack for this film, and they turned it down. I can only imagine what a different film it would've been.

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to "The Last Temptation of Christ" was amazing. It's a good listen with or without the movie.