• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music = bad craziness?

Faint

Tlcmel made a comment on another thread that rap music is essentially a threat to our children and perhaps the well-being of our society. Further, she maintains that rap is worse than other types of music due to the lyrical content and overall message it conveys.

Rather than drag that thread off topic, I'm starting this one to debate the accuracy of this.

Questions:
1) Do you think any types of music are harmful to children?
2) What about adults?
3) Do you think certain genres are worse than others as far as the "message" they convey? How can you tell?
4) Do you think cuss words are a bad influence on children or adults? And if one, why not the other?
5) Do you think music makes people act a certain way (i.e. leads to violent behavior)?
6) Do you think any music should be censored?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Questions:

Yes I do.

2) What about adults?
For them just as hard. Only they are more resistant to groups I think.

3) Do you think certain genres are worse than others as far as the "message" they convey? How can you tell?
Yes I do. Just think of the difference between aggresive musics and the hippies.
I live in a country were hardcore (the danceversion) was a hype a few years ago. As I was one of them hardcorelovers I can tell you they were aggresive against others in general.

4) Do you think cuss words are a bad influence on children or adults? And if one, why not the other?
Don't understand the question.

5) Do you think music makes people act a certain way (i.e. leads to violent behavior)?
Yes, see question 3.

No way!!!! :p

Flappycat

Mainly? Crunk. This is also one of the higher forms of hip hop.

2) What about adults?
Country. It has a habit of making people unpleasant. It is worse than even the lowest form of rap in this respect: the person playing rap at annoying volumes will generally turn it down once asked, and, in the same place, his country-loving counterpart will generally either ignore you or threaten violence. While very bad rap may be the lowest form of music, country doesn't even deserve to be called music, and it's hard to call to mind fans of it whom I haven't fantasized violently murdering.

Yes. Music that makes criminal conduct a mark of status seems to have a bad affect on the behavior of its target audience.

No. Duh.

Some can.

No. We decided against communism, thank you.

Faint

me said:
Bouncing Ball said:
Yes I do.
The music in itself is harmful? In what way? You mentioned aggression...so for instance, if you think it promotes violent behavior, if you took away the music (or never exposed them to it in the first place, do you think the same kids would act violently anyway? Do you have examples of specific songs that have resulted in violent behavior? And if so, does the song affect all young listeners on a consistent level? If NOT, would you say that there are other causes aside from music that leads to this behavior?

Yes I do. Just think of the difference between aggresive musics and the hippies.
I live in a country were hardcore (the danceversion) was a hype a few years ago. As I was one of them hardcorelovers I can tell you they were aggresive against others in general.
You don't think "hippy" music had any bad messages? Led Zepplin for instance? The Doors?
Do you think the aggression in the hardcore scene was already present in the individuals--and that is why they were drawn to the scene in the first place? Or do you think they were not aggressive until exposed to the hardcore music?

Don't understand the question.
In other words, do you think exposure to cuss words is bad for children or adults?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Faint said:
The music in itself is harmful? In what way? You mentioned aggression...so for instance, if you think it promotes violent behavior, if you took away the music (or never exposed them to it in the first place, do you think the same kids would act violently anyway? Do you have examples of specific songs that have resulted in violent behavior? And if so, does the song affect all young listeners on a consistent level? If NOT, would you say that there are other causes aside from music that leads to this behavior?

Well, it must be the music itself as Hardcore has little to no text. If you would take the music away, at I would have felt a little less aggresive. Before "turning over" to that hardcore I was a nice little boy listning to guns 'n roses. Yet, I must say that in the first place I guess it was more the feeling of the others that "made" the music aggresive. After that I can also think that it was more the feeling given by others that made the music feel aggresive even when alone.
All young listners? No, but most. I have examples enough, but I am not sure that you know them ;)

Or do you think they were not aggressive until exposed to the hardcore music?

I was not aggresive untill I was exposed. I am in control again now btw :p

In other words, do you think exposure to cuss words is bad for children or adults?
Does this mean you want the thread to lean to the text or the music itself?

Faint

Bouncing Ball said:
Does this mean you want the thread to lean to the text or the music itself?
Towards the "message" actually. Lyrical content. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Also, I don't want to debate overall "quality" of the music sound (I've actually heard aggressive sounding Christian rock, if you can believe that). So let's keep this strictly on the text level.

In other news, while people here may debate my moral quality...I think I'm pretty well adjusted and moral, yet I grew up listening to bands with "questionable" lyrics. In junior high for example I listened to GWAR--which is probably about as sick as music gets. In high school I got into Prodigy ("Smack My B**ch Up" etc.), Rage Against the Machine ("rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun") among others...but I still haven't beaten any girls or shot any wealthy socialites.

Does anyone here think Columbine had a lot to do with the music the killers were listening to?

Hacker

COPY AND PASTED FROM WEB MD(I'm not gonna waste my time anyways trying to explain something that's common sense)

Teens who spend more time watching the sex and violence depicted in the "reel" life of "gangsta" rap music videos are more likely to practice these behaviors in real life, suggests one of the first studies to specifically explore how rap videos influence emotional and physical health.
After studying 522 black girls between the ages of 14 and 18 from non-urban, lower socioeconomic neighborhoods, researchers found that compared to those who never or rarely watched these videos, the girls who viewed these gangsta videos for at least 14 hours per week were far more likely to practice numerous destructive behaviors. Over the course of the one-year study, they were:​

• Three times more likely to hit a teacher
  • Over 2.5 times more likely to get arrested
  • Twice as likely to have multiple sexual partners
  • 1.5 times more likely to get a sexually transmitted disease, use drugs, or drink alcohol.
"What is particularly alarming about our findings is that we didn't find an association with just violence or one or two risky behaviors," says researcher Ralph J. DiClemente, PhD, of Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. "We found an association with a string of these behaviors."​

His study, published in the March issue of the American Journal of Public Health, only involved black girls living in Birmingham, Ala. -- all of whom were already sexually active. While the researchers surveyed viewing habits for various types of rap videos, gangsta rap was by far the most popular among the girls practicing these destructive behaviors.​

"We wanted to focus on young, African American women, a population that is very vulnerable," DiClemente tells WebMD. "In these videos, men hold the power and women don't and as a result, are subservient. I'm not sure that the girls in our study were lashing out because of this, but more likely role-modeling the behaviors they see. The women in these videos are doing OK, they're hanging around with a man who is powerful, affluent, going to nice clubs and wearing nice clothes. For these girls, they may not be a bad thing."​

His team is currently expanding its research to investigate how these and other rap videos may influence behaviors across other racial, gender and socioeconomic lines. Although gangsta rap videos depict tough inner-city "street" life, their largest viewing audience is white suburban youth, who have better access to cable television channels such as MTV and BET (Black Entertainment Television).​

Of course, this isn't the first time that rebellious music has been blamed for society's ills. From Elvis to Columbine, the songs of music-obsessed youth have often been blamed for anti-social behavior. But rap -- and in particular, the especially violent and sexually-explicit gangsta variety -- has raised special concern.​

"Most children between ages 2 and 18 spend upwards of seven hours a day ingesting some sort of media," says Susan Buttross, MD, FAAP, chief of child development and behavioral pediatrics at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and spokeswoman for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). "We know that with any type of repeated media exposure, a desensitization can occur that makes these behaviors seem normal. So this finding doesn't surprise me at all."​

Buttross, who was not involved in DiClemente's study, is a member of the AAP's committee on public education, which has written several policies warning about the effects the media has on children's' behavior. Her committee is currently updating its 2001 policy statement that found 75% of music videos involved sexual imagery, and more than half involved violence -- usually against women. In 1996, the AAP issued another policy statement that was critical of rap music.​

But others feel that rap is getting a bad rap. "Yes, there are rap videos that are particularly violent or sexual, but let's look at what is more important in whether or not these kids act out of behaviors -- their family structure and the type of parenting they get," says Cheryl Keyes, PhD, associate professor of ethnomusicology at UCLA and author of Rap Music and Street Consciousness. "Parents need to get more involved in what their children are watching."​

No argument from DiClemente or Buttross.​

"You cannot stick your head in the sand and expect your child will only look at good stuff," says Buttross. "Parents need to know what their children are being exposed to.​

There's proof right there and I agree with it, it's from WebMD.​

Hacker

From Elvis to Columbine, the songs of music-obsessed youth have often been blamed for anti-social behavior. But rap -- and in particular, the especially violent and sexually-explicit gangsta variety -- has raised special concern.
Did you notice Rap in particular. I didn't say that the older Genre music was good, but like I said, rap( the bad rap) is the worst by far.

Faint

tlcmel said:
There's proof right there and I agree with it, it's from WebMD.
Sorry to break this to you and the Ph.D. guy-- but correlation does not equal causation, much less "proof". It doesn't sound like they researched other factors that may (likely) have been involved in the Alabama microcosm of one specific race and age group. Also, as this was specific to rap, what makes you think that a similar correlation would not be found in a study on rock music? Pop?

Too often people see only what they want to...and this case the people seem to be looking at skin color. I often find that when people single out rap as a "bad influence", they also commonly have other misconceptions and prejudices against black people in general. How's that for a correlation?

Of course, this isn't the first time that rebellious music has been blamed for society's ills. From Elvis to Columbine, the songs of music-obsessed youth have often been blamed for anti-social behavior.
True. People love to scapegoat music.

But rap -- and in particular, the especially violent and sexually-explicit gangsta variety -- has raised special concern
I suppose these researchers have forgotten about bands like AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, Nine Inch Nails? It's probably to much to imagine they've actually heard anything by Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, GWAR, etc. I'm glad that violence and sexually explicit lyrics can't be found in large quantities in anything other than gangsta rap! :rolleyes:

Faint

tlcmel said:
Again Faint, we will agree to disagree!:yes:
I'll agree that you're wrong here, unless you'd like to back up your side of the debate better. This is not a matter of opinion as far as I'm concerned...and I detest reading about sloppy research methods giving artists a bad...rap.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Faint said:
Does anyone here think Columbine had a lot to do with the music the killers were listening to?

I'd be more inclined to think it had something to with the prescription drugs they were on, but to continue that discussion would completely derail this thread.

So now I guess I'd better go back and respond to the OP. :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
Faint said:
Too often people see only what they want to...and this case the people seem to be looking at skin color. I often find that when people single out rap as a "bad influence", they also commonly have other misconceptions and prejudices against black people in general. How's that for a correlation?
More likely the restricted it to African-Americans in order to try and reduce other cultural factors.

True. People love to scapegoat music.
Sometimes the criticisms are valid. Sometimes, they are more about politics. In the immortal words of Zappa appearing at a Congressional hearing, "Somehow, country music is sacrosanct." Methinks he had a point there.

I suppose these researchers have forgotten about bands like AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, Nine Inch Nails? It's probably to much to imagine they've actually heard anything by Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, GWAR, etc. I'm glad that violence and sexually explicit lyrics can't be found in large quantities in anything other than gangsta rap! :rolleyes:
Well, that was certainly full of unwarranted assumptions.