• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murti randomly falling and breaking

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Having a conversation with a friend of mine online, and he informed me that his statue of Lord Gaṇeśa randomly fell (he's not sure what caused it) from where he keeps it and broke.

He asked me if there is any significance behind why that could have happened, and the correct way to dispose of a broken icon. He doesn't live anywhere near any Hindu temples either, to go and ask.

I have no idea about potential meanings, if there would be any, as to why his murti broke, nor do I know the proper etiquette when dealing with a damaged icon.

Any ideas?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
He should take it to a river (preferably, or a lake or ocean), walk out to the middle, and lay it face up, at the bottom, in a discreet place.

As to reasons for this happening, I have no idea. For whatever reason, it wasn't meant to be with him. What was it made of?

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Ramakrishna asked, in regards to getting rid of damaged murthis, "do we dispose of children who have broken their arms?" He taught that it is better to just repair the murthi as you would repair a living person, and continue using it.

As for significance, if there is any, it's only for God and Gods to know; I personally think it's better not to worry about such things.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, you will find different answers, as always.

Ironically, I was basing my answer on the experience I once had watching a murthi be disposed (at the same time as Vinayaka Chaturthi) and explained to me by a former monk of the Ramakrishna Math. So go figure.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Personally, Boss and I have disposed of two of them ... one was a Murugan with a chip, and the other was a Ganesha that wasn't working properly. Murthis are like conduits to mystical energy, and the perfectly good one was drawing in the wrong kind of energy, making you feel messed up instead of spiritual.

This is also why many Hindus will go to extraordinary lengths just to get the 'right' murthy. The fact that this one fell for no apparent reason is an indicator. Now if it would have smiled at you, that would have been a better indicator, wouldn't it?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear prabhu ji's

I think I would have to repair if possible , Allthough I have heard of the desposing in a river It would have to be last resort .how dammaged is it ?

and as for murtis having bad energies ???

it is an interesting question , what do you mean by a bad energy ?

if it is the wrong deity for you it should be given to someone who will look after it , someone for whom it is the right deity .

deitys do take on different moods depending on who is looking after them and the mood of their worship , a deity can allso be restored from un loved to loved its mood is then very different .

as to falling ? does he worship the deity ? or simply keep out of respect ? I have one possible answer but would need to know more of the situation .

Me Myself

Back to my username
I remember when doing Shiva clay figure I worried on it falling.

Mostly I worried people may take it and look at it and it may fall and break accidentally.

I don't know why I was so worried about this, so while I was making it I asked Shiva to bless everyone and anyone near it, and if it ever falls, to bless the one who purposefuly or accidentaly breaks it, so this person recieves great love and insight, and so he may better teach me that way if the figure ever fell.

Of course it is not a murti that has passed through any "awakening" formal ritual, just one I made because I felt inspired to.

Ultimately, I think it is very good that your friend asks what is better to do because this shows he cares and that is a good way of showing respect towards the diety, whichever be the case or reason for which it fell.

Maybe it just fell to remind him of this respect :D , maybe it fell because the deity wanted to be in other place, or because maybe it felt the ritual of letting go the statue and giving it to the river would be good one for the worshipper. Maybe the diety felt like teacing him that appeareances are not that important.

there are many posible scenarios. I think whichever the case, it fell so to teach something to your friend. so whatever happenes, may he be very open, learn from the wise deity, and be blessed.

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah :namaste

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't place any meaning behind it. Sometimes people are always looking for omens or messages but I think that if there is a message for us, it should be apparent. Tell him/her not to worry about why it broke.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The murti is made out of... I dunno? Porcelain? He sent me to a link of what it looks like:

$(KGrHqJHJBIE-eqSiEkjBPr2gt75fw~~60_12.JPG

Except his murti is painted, not plain.

And he would venerate it irregularly: he would occasionally give it offerings, but he won't perform a form of pūja. He doesn't consider himself Hindu (yet, anyway) so he just 'does his thing'.

Good news, though, he was able to repair it. :D

Ramakrishna asked, in regards to getting rid of damaged murthis, "do we dispose of children who have broken their arms?" He taught that it is better to just repair the murthi as you would repair a living person, and continue using it.

As for significance, if there is any, it's only for God and Gods to know; I personally think it's better not to worry about such things.

I agree with you Riverwolf - according to legend the statue of Krishna was broken and the priest brought it before RamaKrishna telling him that they were going to put it in the ganges. Ramakrishna responded would they throw a dear one in the river if they had broken a bone? The statue can still be seen in the KrishnaRadha temple next door to the big Kali temple in Calcuta