• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mumbai vs Shanghai- which is better?

ronki23

Shanghai7.jpg

shanghai-at-night.jpg

private-vip-class-huangpu-river-cruise-and-evening-city-lights-tour-in-shanghai-343059.jpg

marine-drive1.jpg

Mumbai_Skyline_at_Night.jpg

gateway-of-india-behind.jpg

india-south-india-asia-maharashtra-mumbai-bombay-city-dadabhai-naoroji-da9nw2.jpg

I've been to both and here are my thoughts:

Shanghai is bigger than Mumbai

Shanghai has a higher population than Mumbai

Shanghai is more developed and 'flashy' than Mumbai

There's more to see in Shanghai

Shanghai has a higher GDP per capita than Mumbai

Shanghai has fewer homeless people/ beggars than Mumbai

There are more millionaires and billionaires in Mumbai

It's easier to get around Mumbai

Mumbai is cleaner and less polluted than Shanghai

Mumbai has better food than Shanghai

Mumbai is more diverse than Shanghai; you have Hindus, Jains, Parsis, Muslims and Christians and they're Maharastrian, Gujarati, Tamil and Kannada people. In Mumbai you can get around speaking English, Hindi, Gujarati or Marathi. On the other hand Shanghai is more homogenous; you have to speak Wu or Mandarin and people are either atheist or Buddhist

But here's another question:

Which is more expensive? I've been shopping in Mumbai and the prices are not as cheap as you'd think. Some things are the same cost as the UK. Shanghai was not cheap; some things were more expensive than the UK. So i'd say shopping in Shanghai is more expensive.
However I was told Mumbai real estate is more expensive than Shanghai. Is this true?

I enjoyed Shanghai more than Mumbai because there was more to see but I would rather live in Mumbai than Shanghai.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I have not been to either place, but they both appear to be beautiful places to live.

In the end, it is entirely up to you anyway. Choose wisely.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've never been to Shanghai but I have been to Mumbai and it can be very hot and very humid so I would not want to live there.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I've never lived in a big city (the biggest "city" in my state is 50,000 people) and the biggest I've visited was a few hundred thousand and that was briefly. I can't even begin to comprehend what it's like to be in either for any extended period of time.

Hower based on your descriptions I would go with Mumbai for the diversity (means more interesting people to meet), better food and cleaner environment.

ronki23

Is it true that Mumbai's real estate is more than Shanghai? I was told Mumbai has the most expensive real estate in Asia.

As for rich people; Mumbai is home to Bollywood and most of India's millionaires live there.

Times of India says:

Ranked sixth, Mumbai is home to 26 billionaires. There are more billionaires in Mumbai than in Shanghai, Paris or Los Angeles. New York tops the list with 70 billionaires, followed by Moscow (64), London (54), Hong Kong (40) and Beijing at fifth spot with 29.

However, I still say there's more to see in Shanghai than there is in Mumbai. In Shanghai the shopping is way better and it's more cosmopolitan. You also have the likes of the Jade Buddha, the Longhua temple, one of the largest Buddha's in Asia in another temple (I don't remember if it's wooden or Bronze) and Jing'an temple. There's also the gardens. Also there's Shanghai tower

Last edited: