• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muharram?

F0uad

I have seen disturbing movies and documents about Muharram but what is it actually and how is it seen to be Islamic when Islam clearly teaches not to harm/cut your body in any way possible? Please some clarification..

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
I have seen disturbing movies and documents about Muharram but what is it actually and how is it seen to be Islamic when Islam clearly teaches not to harm/cut your body in any way possible? Please some clarification..

Thank you brother for asking this question,

The event of Ashura, is a turning point in the Islamic history…
Muslims need to study this event…
All Muslims Shiites and Sunnis need to study this event deeply…

Although Shiites commemorate this event annually, many Shiites don’t understand the deep message of Ashura…

Why the grand son of the Prophet SAWA has sacrificed himself and his family…

In brief, before the rise of Imam Hussein A.S, the falsehood was covered…There were grey areas…He made the falsehood exploited for people to see…

With commemorating his sacrifice, we serve his rise…
The imams of AhlulBayt a.s. command us to commemorate this event…

Now when it comes to the small detail of some people injure themselves during the commemorating of the tragedy of Ashura, which is called Tatbeer:

According to some account, during the time of the rise of Imam Hussein a.s., an Arab tribe Called Bani Assad, heard that Imam Hussein a.s. has was in Karbala… they marched to support him against the Umayyads… when they reached Karbala, Imam Hussein a.s. with his family members and his friends were all killed…Bani Assad were overwhelmed with what they saw, that they started injuring themselves with their swords…

The Activity continued ever since…

I am not sure of the authenticity of this story…
However it’s important to note that this activity is not dangerous…
And need not be given more than its weight…
Muslims need to think about the blood of Imam Hussein a.s and his family and friends which was shed in Karbala, rather than concentrating in this small detail..

Matemkar

Bismihi Sobhanah.. Salam..
The things you mentioned are not islamic and all shia muslim scholars are against it.. Please check Tatbir - A Disturbing Innovation to see fatwas/rulings of shia islamic scholars about it.. And I think, focusing on the acts of few extremist "shia" muslims might keep us from remembering the tragedy and true message of Ashura (the tenth day of the month of Muharram when grandson of the Prophet, Imam Hussain was martyred along with his 72 family members and companions)..

Here are some books for those who want to study both history of Ashura and its message:
Imam Khomeini - The Ashura Uprising in the Words and Messages of Imam Khomeini and Karbala and Ashura
Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks. ma salam

Last edited:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I was once told by a Shia muslim that the grand imam (ayatollah?) from Iran actually condemned this practice.. is that true?

Matemkar

I think you did not read my post after all.. There are lots of them.. Just click on the part of Fatawa (Rulings) on the site I shared. ma salam

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I think you did not read my post after all.. There are lots of them.. Just click on the part of Fatawa (Rulings) on the site I shared. ma salam
Actually brother, I am reading it now. You posted it a minuete before mine posted, and it wasn't there before I posted.