• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie reviews

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1&2)
Batman stories are typically darker than your average superhero tale. This animated film is no exception.

It follows a grizzled and older Batman. I particularly liked the rendition of this character of Batman. You really feel his pain and are able to sympathize with him actually. And he is cool. There are many scenes where Batman is just overwhelming with his presence and is still able to steal the scene from other interesting characters.

There is this interesting backdrop of that is the height of the Cold War. This setting ends up creating interesting situations that I felt helped drive the plot forward without feeling contrived.

The film goes through a few storylines while doing an excellent job at drip feeding exposition as it is required. The scenes that are necessarily exposition heavy I felt were handled in a good manner. The varying antagonists and climaxes really make this film worth a watch, even if the pacing is not perfect.

At first, I felt that the Robin character could have been completely removed from the story. But, upon further thought, I actually liked the addition. At the very least, it allowed the character of Batman to have a catalyst of overcome and deal with the death of the previous Robin, which I think is implied is what sent Batman to retirement. The character served as a catalyst to express themes, even if the girl herself wasn't cool or a scene stealer. Plus, Batman needed the help, it made sense that he did.

There are many "Oh my God" and "0_0" moments in the film. It is brutal and violent. I think it pulls off being grim without being grotesque. I suppose Batman is not often for the faint of heart.

The movie I think has some satirical undertones when it comes to comments on our society. Sometimes, the film takes a risk and decides to make a bold statement. For example, there is a scene with Commissioner Gordon where he talks about how US president FDR might have known about Pearl Harbor in advance but let it happen anyways. Gordon then talks about this in a bit of length. That moment was more overt, but I do think the film has something to say between the lines.

I really liked this film.