• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie Review: American Zion

jonny

The Work and the Glory - American Zion
Rated PG-13

The Work and the Glory (Gerald Lund) is probably one of the most successful LDS historical fiction book series ever printed. The books follow a fiction family, the Steeds, through the early days of the LDS church. American Zion is based on the second book in the series.

The film starts out with a recap of the first film. It kind of reminded me of the start of the second episode of a "to be continued" sitcom, but it was important to remind people where the last film left off, since the family's story can get rather complicated (there are a lot of characters in the book). Although I'd recommend renting the first film before watching this one, you'll get the general jist of the story from the recap. From there it begins to show the history of the LDS church from about 1830 to 1834 through the eyes of a family, torn apart by the contoversial teachings of Joseph Smith.

Films give you an opportunity to experience things you couldn't experience otherwise. I was personally very excited to see this film because my ancestors were members of the church during these early years and I was interested in "experiencing" some of what they went through. I wasn't disappointed. I actually learned things from the film that I had to go and research to see if it really happened (so is it with historical fiction). It helped me understand a little about what my ancestors went through for their faith, and got me asking myself if I would have done the same.

If you are looking for an uplifting film, this isn't it. Watching women and children leave a bloody trail in the snow as they are forced out of their hideout by a mob isn't fun. One of the most poingant moments in the movie was the look on Joseph Smith's face the morning after his son died. To see the man that LDS church members hold in such high regards looking defeated, confused, and depressed helped me to understand some of what he must have been going through.

In the first film I was very disappointed by the performance of Jonathan Scarfe who is Joseph Smith (Into the West). In this film I was very impressed. He did a great job of humanizing the character and bringing out his strengths and weaknesses. I was also very impressed with Brenda Strong (Desperate Housewives, Spaceballs), who had a much larger role in this film than the first and did a great job. Overall, the acting was very good, which isn't something that you would expect from a Mormon movie. I hated the villans and sympathized with the heros. The movie literally left me wanting more - especially since it ends with a cliff hanger.

Even though the film deals with some very painful experiences, there is also much light and happiness. It is a film about forgiveness and there are moments in the film that make you smile and even laugh. I would recommend the film to anyone who is interested in learning a little about the history of the LDS church. You shouldn't expect to learn anything about the doctrines of the church though.

Movie Website and Trailer: http://www.americanzion.com/
Professional Reviews: http://ericdsnider.com/view.php?mrkey=2640
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/245328_americanzion21q.html