• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moses a Triple Minded Man.

anders

spooner,

You ask "Moses, Moses, make up you mind. If Yah “has” cast out the people of the land, how in the world can they make peace with a people that is not there?"

Very easy to explain. In the first place, the text does not say that all people are driven out. In the second place, the correct translation should be "... when he drives out many nations before you ..." (The revised English Bible; the Swedish Bibel 2000 also uses the present tense, which like in English can be used referring to the future). Hebrew does not use verb tenses like we do, so there are translation problems in every sentence.

And I don't think it makes sense to refer to God by "Yah". Outside of the Psalms (and very few other examples of poetry), I have found "Yah" only in Ex. 17:16, where it probably is not to be seen as a name, but as a reference to the Lord.

Spooner

anders said:
spooner,

You ask "Moses, Moses, make up you mind. If Yah “has” cast out the people of the land, how in the world can they make peace with a people that is not there?"

Very easy to explain. In the first place, the text does not say that all people are driven out. In the second place, the correct translation should be "... when he drives out many nations before you ..." (The revised English Bible; the Swedish Bibel 2000 also uses the present tense, which like in English can be used referring to the future). Hebrew does not use verb tenses like we do, so there are translation problems in every sentence.

Ex 33:2 "And I will send My Angel before you, and I will drive out the Canaanite and the Amorite and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite.

Ex 34:10-12 And He said: "Behold, I make a covenant. Before all your people, I will do marvels such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation; and all the people among whom you are shall see the work of Elohim. For it is an awesome thing that I will do with you. Observe what I command you this day. Behold, I am driving out from before you the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite.

Has is a correcting translation considering what comes first.

Spooner

anders

Ex 34:11 "Observe all I command you this day; and I for my part shall drive out ..:" (same translations that I mentioned in my previous post)

I find it all to be in the future, and find no order of things in the future. I recommend you to get a translation which is more correct than KJV.

Spooner

anders said:
Ex 34:11 "Observe all I command you this day; and I for my part shall drive out ..:" (same translations that I mentioned in my previous post)

I find it all to be in the future, and find no order of things in the future. I recommend you to get a translation which is more correct than KJV.

I agree it was future from that point.

So, if God was going to do his part and cast out the people of the land, how in the world can they make peace with a people that is not there? How can Israel destroy a people that is not there -- not there because God shall cast them out of the land? How can they make peace with the people of the land and they serve Israel, when Moses said they shall not dwell in their land?

Please consider what your own translation says. and I for my part shall drive out.

Please quote everthing I said and address each point.

Thank you.