• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morse's Code

Morse

To Extinguish
Alright, I've finally gotten around to posting what I personally believe. But before I do, I would like to give the readers a disclaimer.

Disclaimer: Do not adopt these beliefs for yourself after reading this, I know that a vast majority of RFers will either be unswayed in their faith by what I say, or know that they need to follow their own path.

I encourage every person to seek their own beliefs. If their personal path leads them to a similar understand that I have come to, then that is fine by me.

My religion is technically called Eclectic Paganism, I take pieces from different sets of beliefs or ideas and use them in my own personal code. The only similarity between Eclectics is the fact that they are Eclectic.

In no particular order:

1) A higher power exists. By whatever name you choose to call it, I believe that a higher power exists. The nature of this power will be revealed soon.

2) The Bible was created by man to describe a higher power.
The bible is not the word of a higher power. The bible is the word of men. It was created by man, a flawed being, and thus it is flawed.
How exactly does a group of men write a book about a perfect being when they themselves have never experience, witnessed, or conceived something that is perfect? Throughout history, the works of man have been flawed, the bible is not an exception. Thus, I regard the bible as a text that was written by men to be interpreted by men to teach virtues. Many literalists have said the bible contradicts itself and teaches one sided or outdated values, but the bible was meant to be interpreted and applied to today's world. Does the bible give us a decent example for moral teachings? Yes. Is the bible the word of a higher power? No.
I say bible because I was raised as a christian and my mind set is geared towards Christianity. But this applies to every religious text.

3) The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. One of a characteristics of a complex machine (As opposed to a simple machine) is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I consider this to be a characteristic of the higher power I claim patronage to. The pieces of the machine we have in our possession (The Qu'Ran, Bible, Book of Mormon, Etc..) are insufficient in describing the nature of the higher power because the entirety of that power is greater than all of its parts combined. Not to mention that those pieces may not even be Relevant to the higher power. All we have are what we believe to be pieces that describe the nature of a higher power.

4) Because the only attempts to explain the higher power are flawed, and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, the higher power cannot be clearly ascertained. I almost say incomprehensible, but it is clearly not incomprehensible because I have come to a certain understanding of the nature of this higher power. This understanding is that I will never clearly understand the way it works and that it is greater than the documents and pieces we have accumulated. That already lends a degree of comprehension, so this higher power is not incomprehensible.

5) Beliefs should be personal. Each person should seek their own path, and not attempt to conform another to their personal set of beliefs.

6) Because Beliefs should be personal and the higher power cannot be clearly ascertained,what is the use of organized religion? Organized religion is actually very counter productive. I do not believe that any will attain a greater level of understanding (Whether it be about the world or about the self) by attempting to fit themselves within an organization and listening to that organizations agents preach their interpretations of flawed documents. That benefits nobody. The path to understanding should be walked alone. Other religions may act as a wheel on your vehicle, but not the vehicle itself.

7) Science and Evolution work. They do not contradict religion either. The only circumstances under which religion and science clash is when one takes a literalist stance when approaching one or the other. Science is the vehicle of progression for the world.

8) Always seek learning and a greater understanding of the world within and around you. This is something I adopted into my beliefs because of my personal craving for knowledge and secrets. Knowledge is the vehicle for progression, and as you learn new things and allow for growth, you reach a greater level of understanding. This applies to not just beliefs, but science, yourself, and the world around you. (The desire for knowledge is the basis for Occultism, is it not?)

9) Never take the life of another. No person has the right to steal the breath from another being. Those with the audacity to do so must be punished, but also given a chance at redemption. I do not agree with many of the values of Catholicism, but one incident I find admirable was that of Pope John Paul and his would be assassin. The man almost took the popes life. But after the fact, Pope John Paul sat down and spoke with the man, offering him forgiveness. The Pope and his would be assassin became fast friends.

10) Ask, and you will receive; Listen, and you would already have known. Many people become so caught up in their personal needs, problems, and beliefs that they have forgotten how to listen to others.

11) There is always a pattern, and there are always connections. No matter what you do in life, realize that there is always a pattern, and everything can be connected. Realizing these opens new doors and perspectives. Just consider how you interact with other people, what is the pattern, and how does it mean to other people?

12) Don't teach people, inspire them to learn.
There is a great difference between telling somebody what to do, and telling them to figure out what to do.

13) Nothing is perfect. The works of a flawed creator can only bring about flawed products. A wonderful example is this code, it is far from perfect, and fails to address many points that may be brought up. I encourage people to question my sets of beliefs, that I may better understand them.

That is essentially my code of beliefs. I'm sure I've left out something, but it may come to me later. Here are some questions I've been asked.

Kerr asked: "What would be your ideal deity if you could conceive it? How would he function and what would he be like?"

I think: "What I have to say about a higher deity is just speculation, and I try not to consider any intricacies related to it since I obviously cannot prove anything. But we were to say that my fantasy of a deity was correct, he'd be something of a recorder. He would function through a design he has created. The design isn't WHAT will happen, its every possibility of what MIGHT happen. It lays out the progression of every conceivable and inconceivable topic, and thus is akin to infinity in that it can only be discussed in theory. We cannot view or possess any details of this design, like infinity, it just encompasses everything. The higher power wouldn't have any shape or form, it would simply manifest itself through this formless design it has created.

Whenever I'm in a poetic mood I like to imagine the design like the stars, we can see a portion, and we can imagine a portion, but the entirety is so lost upon us that all we can do is say its there.

I am often in a poetic mood.

But that's just my speculation within the boundaries of my beliefs."

We believe that the idea is also one expressed in quantum physics, an interesting article he proposed to me was that of Schrödinger's cat.

-----

Alright, if anybody has any challenges or questions, please please please post them!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Cool! I like!
icon14.gif

Thanks for sharing. :)

By the way, what do you believe about an afterlife? Reincarnation? One life? No afterlife?

Morse

To Extinguish
Ahh yes, that is something I meant to address.

As I cannot recall having any other lives, and I cannot profess to know anything about the afterlife, I have settled on the notion that death will bring answers.

After I've been released from this body I shall cease to exist, be reincarnated, or start my afterlife. Whether or not I ever realize my answers, I will finally be content on my death bed with the knowledge that all my questions will soon be answered.

Life isn't about getting the right answers, its about asking the right questions.

Metalic Wings

Thank you so much--I really enjoyed reading about what you believe. I think you've got a great head on your shoulders and good beliefs to follow. Kudos.

Morse

To Extinguish
Thank you all for your positive comments. Still waiting for somebody to come along and point out some inconsistencies though :).

Morse, I love what you have written! The fact that I remained captivated long enough to read the entire thing without getting bored proves that I love it.
Anyhow, though I am very much in agreement with you, what you really want is to be challenged, so I will happily induldge you.
12. Don't teach people, inspire them to learn- Sounds good, but doesn't quite work for me. If there is no one to teach, who or what would you inspire them to learn from?
13. Nothing is perfect- I'm afraid on this one I dissagree entirely. I believe everything and everyone is perfect. I believe the only flaw we humans have is the BELIEF that no on or no thing is perfect and only by believing in this flaw do flaws exist at all!
I agree with your take on organized religion being counterproductive to achieving a higher level of understanding, and so I must ask: could one interpret your posting as being quite organized?
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your posting. I find it very insightful, inspiring and original.
I really like your definition of Eclectic Paganist, and by your definition, I am one too, which of course implies I am similar yet not quite like you!
With sincere thanks,
Nothing

Morse

To Extinguish
what you really want is to be challenged, so I will happily indulge you.
Thank you. This is the first time I have recorded the majority of my beliefs and there are no doubt be flaws. The chance to refine and clarify my beliefs is a good thing for me.

12. Don't teach people, inspire them to learn- Sounds good, but doesn't quite work for me. If there is no one to teach, who or what would you inspire them to learn from?
I concede to as well as rebuke the point you’ve made. I rebuke it in the sense that this is my personal set of beliefs. Another person’s beliefs may ask of them that they guide pupils in their search for knowledge. Mine tells me that I should inspire those seek out the correct questions and answers to attain a greater understanding. Even if I did not teach, there would be others.

But this does not mean I should not show them what I personally have learned and comprehended. Every person is unique to a degree and brings perspectives and thoughts that none other would consider or think of, and in this sense I must teach for none other can bring my certain perspectives to would be pupils. Thus I reword the second.
12. Do not just teach people, inspire them to learn.

13. Nothing is perfect- I'm afraid on this one I disagree with entirely. I believe everything and everyone is perfect. I believe the only flaw we humans have is the BELIEF that no one or no thing is perfect and only by believing in this flaw do flaws exist at all!

This is a debatable point. The entirety of human existence is riddled with our flawed people and imperfect creations. But I am sure that for the entirety of human existence, we have considered ourselves faulty to a degree (unless you’re the pope of course). If we were perfect, we would have no need for machines or tools.

By this logic, one must drop the belief of indubitable imperfection in order to achieve perfection. After attaining this perfect mind set, our flaws will cease to exist. Under a certain magnification this may look obviously false, but I would first like to expose this to a certain slant of light.

My fanciful idea of the higher power involves the concept of a design that details everything. Whether it is theory, events, objects, notions, possible outcomes, or infinity of other topics, it is all designed there. This design would by default have to include each individual human being, and each role, outcome, notion, or pertinence that may or may not occur in their life, otherwise it would not be infinite. This implies that everything have a role, a role that encompasses every possible outcome that it is able to conceive or attain.

If it is able to attain every possible outcome or goal, then it would by default be perfect. But it is a relative perfection. It is not perfect within the entirety of the design, it is perfect within its own portion of possibilities, outcomes, and perceptions. It is perfect for the parts it may or may not play in the world. This is perfection to it, because it can only know that which it is able to conceive.

This is of course assuming that my fanciful perception of the higher deity or the concept that everybody is perfect has even a modicum of accuracy.

I will reword the thirteenth upon further discussion of this topic.

Regards,
Morse

Last edited:
Hey Morse, I would love to discuss further your Code, and will, but since I have yet to transcend the confines of time I must accept that right now it has grown short. Thank you again for posting your beliefs, I see a great deal of truth and clarity within them and am honored that you would discuss them with me further. Until then...
Nothing

Yeah, I working on it..., just wish I had more time to do so! (get it?) Anyways, I would like your permission to thouroughly examine and critique your code. I find it facinating and know it holds a great deal of Truth. Why I offer this is because I received a message to do so. I may not be the Messiah (you claim that position is already filled) but I am a messenger. What I ask for in return, being true to my name, is Nothing. If you allow me to do this I will have something for you by the end of the weekend.
Let me know soon.
Nothing

Just_me_Mike

4) Because the only attempts to explain the higher power are flawed, and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, the higher power cannot be clearly ascertained. I almost say incomprehensible, but it is clearly not incomprehensible because I have come to a certain understanding of the nature of this higher power. This understanding is that I will never clearly understand the way it works and that it is greater than the documents and pieces we have accumulated. That already lends a degree of comprehension, so this higher power is not incomprehensible.
OK so I take issue with this point, and want to offer something for you to consider.

In this numbered bullet you separate the whole from the parts, by saying one is greater than the other. How is it that you have eliminated the option that that are equally important and inclusive on their own? From a God perspective, sure God knows more, but we know what we are suppose to know, and that is part of perfection, and also part of God being God, that we will never exceed the higher power.

You say attempt to explain the higher power are flawed. That is only true if we accept that it is possible to do such a thing. If in fact we are just parts of the higher power we may be perfect in that we can only explain the parts we need to know.

Just something to think about.

imaginaryme

I suppose it is no big surprise that we share a lot of the same beliefs. :D

One thing I do disagree on, however, is the role of organized religion. I feel that it is an institution fated to last. It just needs to be "declawed," as it were. Pattern recognition is an evolutionary characteristic of the human species, and fractal geometry proves that patterns exist; but this can be further applied to the human condition. Simply, some people just want to be "comfy with Jesus" without a lot of technical jargon. Not everybody is "intelligent" on the same level. Not everybody can form a clear conception from thought experiments performed upon reality. It is my personal hope that things like this Internet and the growing awareness of the value of education will free the species from the dangerous superstitions of the past, but that's what we humans do - hope. Thank you for sharing.

Morse

To Extinguish
Thank you for the comment.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree. People are no different from any other species and we can be trained over time. At this moment, the world is riddled with dogmatic thinking and surface deep thought processes. Dogmatic religion promotes this mentality by allowing pastors, preachers, clerics, what have you to tell their followers what to think.

If you teach people how to think as opposed to teaching them what to think, I believe we'd be better off.

But I do share your hopes.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Dah-dah dah-dah-dah di-dah-dit di-di-dit dit, Dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-di-dit dit.

wait... not the same code is it?

Just kidding, great post. ;)

Naveed83

Wandering madman
I agree with you on many of your views/beliefs Morse. Although you seem to have left out whether or not you believe in any forms of punishment or judgement after death. For example do you think those who for lack of a better description, devote themselves to evil (i.e. causing strife and suffering) will face some kind of judgement? Or are we all destined for the same thing be it a paradise, reincarnation, or a sort of "common grave (world of the dead)", or whatever else there may be?

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some of it, but I must say I like the way you say it. It reminds me in some way I can't quite explain of Katzpur -- which, coming from me, is high praise.