• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More than 3,000 stuck in South African mine

Bishka

Veteran Member
article said:
A pipe broke, severing power cables to the lift and trapping workers at the bottom of a 2.2km (1.4 mile) shaft.

Rescuers are planning to use an adjacent shaft to lift them out, a spokeswoman for the mine's owner, Harmony Gold Mining, said.
The accident happened at about 1000 (0800 GMT), some 80km (50 miles) west of Johannesburg.

The spokeswoman, Amelia Soares, told the BBC that no-one was injured and that the miners have access to water.

She said the bottom of the shaft, where they are trapped, is well ventilated.

Link here

ayani

i know! but i'm glad they're getting them out quickly. and they have air, which is good. this doesn't look like it'll turn into a kentucky-style disaster.

A

angellous_evangellous

Hopefully not, but we need to take these initial reports with a grain of salt.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration -- protects workers so that companies have to make working conditions safe -- mining companies push the limits too much and they do so in spite of the workers -- greed makes for unsafe working conditions