• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More questions!

TravisJC

Namaste,

I'm back at it again with some more questions! Please forgive any mistakes I make for I am still learning. I have been learning a lot about Hinduism, specifically Lord Shiva and Abhishekam. Plus a whole lot more about things here and there.

My first question would be that I refer to this link for a general guideline for shiva abhishekam and I'm not exactly sure what the heck Kshama-Prarthana is. I have looked far and wide but I'm confused because each time I look into what this mantra I'm referred often to Durga or Krishna.

I often find myself watching shiva abhishekam and find that sometimes I'm not sure what they're reciting. Are parts of Sri Rudram recited throughout the process? By this I mean do they sing mantras in between offering milk, honey, curd, etc? :rolleyes:
(I have included this link in order for you guys to have a better understanding of what I'm talking about. There seems to be a lot of chanting outside of the offering mantras, since I don't speak any Hindi, Tamil, etc I'm very lost)

Is Parvati a reincarnation of Sati? And whether or not this is true, does Durga represent Goddess Parvati or vice versa? Also, if Lord Kartikeya is the God of War is he supposed to represent a more "evil" side? I know there is a better word for evil but I can't think of one at the moment.

I realize these are questions that require in depth responses but that is exactly what I am looking for! I hope to learn from everyone so please let's converse about Lord Shiva.

Thank you. :D

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Avahanam (invoking): It is simple Sanskrit and could uttered in simple English as well. The Lord will understand.

āgachchha Bhagavandeva Sthane Chatra Sthirobhava।
Yavatpujam Karishyami Tavattvam Sannidhaubhava॥

O Lord, I invite you to come and sit still :) (Sthirobahava) at this place,
Where I am doing this puja for you thinking as if you are already with me.

I picked up this because I found it amusing. Now for your other questions.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The language may differ, different poets may have done it in their different ways, each trying to make it more interesting, but the essence is the same.

TravisJC

The language may differ, different poets may have done it in their different ways, each trying to make it more interesting, but the essence is the same.

Okay, that makes sense. So onto another question, what is Kshama-Prarthana? I have read that it consists of asking for forgiveness but is there different mantras prescribed to different deities or is there one universal one?

Thank you! :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no universal 'kshama prarthana'. Every one is free to use the words of language one likes. It is like telling a departing guest to excuse the host for any short-coming in hospitality that may have occurred during the stay. 'Kshama Prarthana' would be similar even for Durga or Kirshna, so if web-sites redirect you to these, it is understandable.

'Avahanam na janami' is a popular 'kshama-prarthana'. I wish I could give you a word by word translation of these mantras. If you check on internet, I am sure you will be able to find the translations also. I too will look for that.

Regarding 'Avahan', I may invite Shiva mentioning his attributes. I may say, 'O Lord, who has a crescent in his lock of hair and who has snakes coiling around his neck like necklaces, may he come to my puja'. Mentioning attributes increases our concentration on the object of worship.

Rama, Krishna, Durga, Shiva, Shiva's son Kartikeya (Murugan) and others are pre-Aryan deities of India and have been worshiped for at least four thousand years. It is like Greece were still worshiping Zeus. (Of course, Zeus is an Indo-European God and we have his equivalent in Dyavuh and still invoke him).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I often find myself watching shiva abhishekam and find that sometimes I'm not sure what they're reciting. Are parts of Sri Rudram recited throughout the process? By this I mean do they sing mantras in between offering milk, honey, curd, etc? :rolleyes:
Kindly go through this Wikipedia page. Shri Rudram Chamakam - Wikipedia. It has become the standard chant for Abhisheka (North India)/Abhishekam (South India). We find it very melodious and hypnotizing.

The last act of the Puja is 'Visarjana' (North India)/'Visarjanam' (South India - South Indians have this habit of adding an 'm', more correct according to Sanskrit grammar, don't be surprised by that) - that is thanking the deity to have obliged the devotee by his/her presence and having kindly accepted whatever the devotee had managed to offer.

See this page too: Puja (Hinduism) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

TravisJC

Regarding 'Avahan', I may invite Shiva mentioning his attributes. I may say, 'O Lord, who has a crescent in his lock of hair and who has snakes coiling around his neck like necklaces, may he come to my puja'. Mentioning attributes increases our concentration on the object of worship.

So shivashtakam would be considered one of these avahan, which is invoking Lord Shiva to come?

Kindly go through this Wikipedia page. Shri Rudram Chamakam - Wikipedia. It has become the standard chant for Abhisheka (North India)/Abhishekam (South India). We find it very melodious and hypnotizing.

So, when preforming abhishekam Sri Rudram is often recited throughout the puja alongside any other mantras?

Kirran

Premium Member
I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be right now.

An easy puja, modelled on what I do myself and what a monk in my acquaintance does, is to chant the Ganesha gayatri three times, then the Triyambakam three times, then you can do water abhishekham if you want or offer petals while chanting the 108 names of Shiva. I can provide all of these chants for you if that works for you. Or if you want instead of the 108 names you can learn some bhajans and sing those while you do it, or something like that. Then you can close with chanting the gayatri and Triyambakam again, or just leave it at that.

Kirran

Premium Member
I do believe I am, I just seem to be jumping into deep waters when it comes to abhishekam. :confused:

Always tempting! But remember, it's best to do something small that you can keep up, than start on something big which you might not be able to. You can always work up.

That would be extremely useful, if you don't mind.

Ganesha Gayatri:

AUM Ekathandaya Vidmahe
Vakrathundaya Dhimahi
Tanno Tundi Prachodayat
AUM Gam Ganapathaye Namaha

Triyamabakam (like a gayatri for Lord Shiva):

AUM Triyamabakam Yajamahe
Sugandhim Pushti Vardenam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanat
Mrityor Mukshiya Mamritat
AUM Shivaye Namaha

108 Names I'll send later, I don't wanna type 'em all out so I'll take a photo of the sheet I have :p

TravisJC

Always tempting! But remember, it's best to do something small that you can keep up, than start on something big which you might not be able to. You can always work up.

So true! :D

Thank you for the mantras, will make sure to write them down!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To us who are born Hindus, it is not at all difficult to understand. It is just like inviting guest, treating him well when he/she is with you, enquiring at the end of Puja excuse for any short-comings and thanking the deity for his coming. I do not know what other devotees will say (member Vinayaka subscribing to a South Indian order will say 'Bhaktars' - devotees), but it is OK just to wash the lingam/idol even without chanting any mantra if one does not know them. Many Hindus do just that. That too is 'abhishekam'. The Lord will not hold i against you that you do not know the mantras - sure devotion is necessary. I again request you too see the Wikipedia page on Puja.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is Parvati a reincarnation of Sati? And whether or not this is true, does Durga represent Goddess Parvati or vice versa? Also, if Lord Kartikeya is the God of War is he supposed to represent a more "evil" side? I know there is a better word for evil but I can't think of one at the moment.
Now the last questions in your post (we will welcome more if you happen to have them. Don't worry). Yes, Mother Parvati is a reincarnation of Mother Sati.The God and his power (Shakti) are inseparable. Sati/Parvati is the left part of Lord Shiva. There cannot be any other.

What to talk of Gods, the common belief among Hindus is that even when a ordinary man marries a women, the union is at least for seven incarnations. Divorce is not an option according to Hindu belief. The husband and wife are considered one unit.* 'Till death do us part' is not true in Hinduism, the union is suppose to transcend death. The same is true for Lord Vishnu and Mother Lakshmi. When Lord Krishna is supposed to have eight queens, each one of them is considered none other than Mother Lakshmi.

Kartikeya (Murugan) is worshiped as both, the General of the army of Gods as well as a dispenser of wisdom. As a celibate ascetic or as having two wives (Devasena, Lord Indra's daughter, and Valli). It depends on the devotee in what form he/she is psychologically inclined to.

220px-Lord_Muruga_Batu_Caves.jpg
9094061bf0f02a023c9f151d54de9c37.jpg

Shiva and Parvati as one unit: Ardhanarishwara (The half male - half female God), flanked by their respective mounts.
ardhanarishvara_shiva_shakti_or83.jpg

* We don't have the problem of my bank account and your bank account. What I own is my wife's too.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So shivashtakam would be considered one of these avahan, which is invoking Lord Shiva to come?

So, when preforming abhishekam Sri Rudram is often recited throughout the puja alongside any other mantras?
Yes, I would see Shivashtakam as an invocation. SriRudram is followed by Chamakam. What mantras a person will recite depends on him. I generally talk to the Lord in plain English. :D (He-hee)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vannakkam Travis: I agree with Kirran. What's important is the inner approach. You can use mantras if you like, or even just repeating Aum Namasivaya would do. Over 40 years I've learned a basic puja. I follow the monks from Himalayan Academy, and there is also a basic puja on their site, with the Sanskrit chanting to learn, a PDF, and a well trained priest chanting it, step by step. Often with chanting, and pronunciation, it's better to take the time to learn it close or correct the first timer around. Then, 20 years from now, when you want to improve, you don't have to 'undo. the old way.

I've seen elaborate pujas done beautifully with no heart, and simple pujas done in a loving way. A soul who could see auras could tell you which was which. Those people who can really feel the sannidhya (energy radiating from the deity) can tell you if the puja is being done correctly or not, simply by the 'presence' they feel.

We had a chap come do a special puja once at the beginning of the temple I'm involved with here. Very elaborate puja, beautiful Sanskrit, etc. He got right to the point of the final aarti, right where the energy is supposed to be at it's highest, but then suddenly stopped, and gave everyone the most boring lecture on Vedanta for about 45 minutes, convincing everyone there that he had only captured the outward stuff, and had no sense whatsoever about what was really going on.

But in the opposite vein, I remember a simple puja I went to on the island of Mauritus, by a caretaker pandaram priest we had woken up from his afternoon nap ... unshowered, some Tamil singing, sort of clumsy, but whew, I had to fall the the feet of Murugan, the energy just nailed me to the ground.

Look and Listen: Chanting & Songs

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So onto another question, what is Kshama-Prarthana?

It is a prayer asking for forgiveness for any unintentional mispronunciations or errors in your puja. Literally kshamaprathana means "forgive(ness) prayer".

Typically it goes:

yadakshara padabhrashtam mātra hīnantu yad bhavet
tatsarvam kshyamyatām deva nārāyana [or Shiva, or other deity] namostute
visarga bindu mātrāni pada pādā-ksharāni cha
nyūnāni chātirik-dhāni kshamasva paramēshvara [or paramēshvarī for Goddess]

In English:

Prostrations to You, O Lord Narayana. Forgive me for all the mistakes in letter or phrase or for any phonetic aberration that may have occurred in my chanting. Forgive me, Oh! Supreme Lord, for any mistake in my pronunciation of visarga, bindu or intonation of alphabet, word or phrase and any other mistakes.

Of course, I don't understand what you do if you mispronounce a prayer asking for forgiveness for mispronunciation. :shrug:

Btw, I agree w/ @Aupmanyav in that you could probably use your own words to ask forgiveness. Sometimes it's nice to have verses at-the-ready, standardized and used for years.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
108 Names I'll send later, I don't wanna type 'em all out so I'll take a photo of the sheet I have :p

Here ya go...

Shree Shiva Ashtothram
Om Shivaa namah He who is peaceful
Om Mahe-shwaraya namah He who is the greatest lord
Om Shambhave namah He who is Shambhu
Om Pinaakine namah He who holds the bow called Pinaka
Om Sasi-shekha-raya namah He who collected the moon
Om Vama-devaya namah He who is Vama deva
Om Virupakshaya namah He who has a not pleasant eye
Om Kapardhine namah He who holds the skull
Om Nila-lohitaya namah He who is the colour of blue metal
Om Shankaraya namah He who is Shankara
Om Shula-panine namah He who holds the trident
Om Khatvamgene namah He who holds the sword
Om Vishnu-vallabhaya namah He who is the Lord of Lord Vishnu
Om Sipi-vistaya namah He who is with ray of light
Om Ambika nadhaya namah He who is the Lord of Parvathi
Om Srikantaya namah He who has a divine neck
Om Bhakta-vastalaya namah He who loves his devotees
Om Bhavaya namah He who is happening
Om Sharwaya namah He who is Shiva who destroys
Om Trilo-keshaya namah He who has three type of hairs
Om Siti-kantaya namah He who has a black neck
Om Siva-priyaya namah He who is liked by Parvathi
Om Ugraya namah He who is fierce
Om Kapaline namah He who holds the skull
Om Kaoumarine namah He who is a lad forever
Om Andhaka-sura-sudanaya namah He who killed Andhakasura
Om Ganga-dharaya namah He who carries river Ganga
Om Lalaa-takshaya namah He who has an eye in the forehead
Om Kaala-kalaya namah He who is the death to God of death
Om Kripa-nidhaye namah He who is the treasure of mercy
Om Bheemaya namah He who is Gross
Om Parashu-hastaya namah He who has axe in his hand
Om Mruga-panine namah He who has a deer in his hand
Om Jata-dharaaya namah He who has a matted lock
Om Kailasa-vasine namah He who lives in Kailasa
Om Kavachine namah He who wears an armour
Om Katoraya namah he who is very harsh
Om Tripuran-takaya namah He who destroyed the three cities
Om Vrushankaya namah He who is the Lord of the bull
Om Vrushabharudaya namah He who rides a bull
Om Bhasmo-dhulitha vigrahaya namah He whose body is sprinkled with ash
Om Sama-priyaaya namah He who likes Sama Veda
Om Sarwa-mayaaya namah He who is spread in everything
Om Trae-murthaye namah He who is the trinity
Om Anishwaraya namah He who is the God who destroys
Om Sarwagnyaya namah He who orders every thing
Om Paramatmane namah He who is the divine soul
Om Soma-suryagni-lochanaya namah He who has moon, Sun and ire as his eyes
Om Havishe namah He who is the fire offering
Om Yagnya-mayaaya namah He who is personification of fire sacrifice
Om Somaya namah He who is the moon
Om Pancha-vaktraya namah He who has five necks
Om Sada-shivaya namah He who is perennially peaceful
Om Vishveshwa-raya namah He who is the Lord of the universe
Om Virabhadraya namah He who is Vira Bhadra
Om Gana-nadhaya namah He who is the leader of Ganas
Om Praja-pataye namah He who is the lord of all beings
Om Hiranya-retaya namah He who shines like God
Om Durdharshaya namah He who is difficult to see
Om Girishaya namah He who is the Lord of the mountain
Om Giree-shaya namah He who is the Lord of the mountain
Om Anaghaya namah He who is faultless
Om Bhujanga-bhusha-naya namah He who wears snake as ornament
Om Bhargaya namah He who is Lord Shiva
Om Giri-dhanvine namah He who has mountain as the bow
Om Giri-priyaaya namah He who loves mountains
Om Krutti-vasaya namah He who wears a hide
Om Pura-rataye namah He who is delighted for ever
Om Bhagavaye namah He who is the archer
Om Pramadha-dipaya namah He who is a great lamp
Om Mrutyumjayaya namah He who has won over death
Om Shukshma-tanave namah He who has a micro body
Om Jagadvayapine namah He who is spread all over the world
Om Jagad-gurave namah He who is the teacher of
Om VyOma-keshaya namah He who has the sky as his hair
Om Mahasena-janakaya namah He who can create great armies
Om Charu-vikramaya namah He who is pretty and valorous
Om Rudraya namah He who is fiercely angry
Om Bhuta-pataye namah He who is the Lord of Bhutas
Om Sthanane namah He who is stable
Om Ahirbhudnyaya namah He who wears a serpent
Om Digamba-raya namah He who wears directions as cloth
Om Ashta-murthaye namah He who has eight forms
Om Anekat-maya namah He who has several forms
Om Satvikaya namah He who is a sathvika (peaceful)
Om Shudha-vigrahaya namah He who has a clean image
Om Shashwataya namah He who is perennial
Om Khanda-parashave namah He who is armed with axe
Om Ajaaya namah He who is never born
Om Pashavimo-chakaya namah He who frees one frOm attachment
Om Mrudaya namah He who is dead
Om Pashu-pataye namah He who is the Lord of all beings
Om Devaya namah He who is the God
Om Maha-devaya namah He who is the great God
Om Avya-yaya namah He who never changes
Om Haraye namah He who is the destroyer
Om Pusha-damta-bhethre namah He who killed Pushpa Dantha
Om Avya-graya namah He who is not agitated
Om Dakshadwara-haraaya namah He who destroyed the house of Daksha
Om Haraya namah He who destroys
Om Bhaganetrabhitre namah He who has sun, moon and fire as eyes
Om Avya-ktaya namah He who is not clear
Om Saha-srakshaya namah He who has thousand eyes
Om Saha-srapadave namah He who has thousand feet
Om Apavarga-pradaya namah He who helps us to complete
Om Anantaya namah He who does not have any end
Om Tarakaya namah He who is the star
Om Para-meshwaraya namah He who is the divine Lord.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member