• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More older brothers, more likelyhood of being Gay?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i have heard the arguments before (only, without the rat part..... eww :cover: ) and i have the same concerns now as i did then, if we prove that homosexuality is due to hormones, womb environment etc, are people going to want a 'cure' to homosexuality?

if these statistics are true, and i'm gay (with only 1 older bro) my lil' bro is garunteed to be gay.... we wait and see :)

oh wait, my lil' bro is left handed, guess he's safe :yes:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Victor said:
Has anyone else heard of this?

There were studies done on puppies about 15 years ago where they tracked positions of puppies in the womb. The more surrounded a male pup was by female pups, the more likely the male pup was to exhibit female behaviour in life.

How any of that necessarily translates to humans, I don't know. But it did show a hormonal connection for at least some male pups.

It doesn't deny any genetic connection.

And I have yet to read any research that relates to what makes females homo- or heterosexual.

I found the bit about being left-handed most interesting, though. That makes at least a little sense, given men are far more likely to be left-handed than women.

We've known for a long time that women tend to be more "left-brained" and right handed, and men tend to be more "right-brained" and left handed.

The left-handedness may be an indication that sufficient levels of testosterone were present in the womb, and so that's the correlation with having no greater chance of being gay than the population at large.

The study raises some fascinating questions, and it'll be interesting to see how things proceed in the future.

And of course, the study says nothing at all about people who are bisexual and what the physical cause of that might be.

As for any "cures" on the horizon, well, I wouldn't worry about that too much. For anyone who is presently gay, would it even work? Doubtful -- it seems the hormone levels in utero are more critical. Don't go looking for a scene out of X-Men 3 just yet. ;)

Æsahættr

I have heard of this before. But there's no way to tell if it's a correlation between having brothers and actually being gay, or having brothers and realising that you're gay. It might well be that having brothers just helps those who are gay to come out, rather than help actually make them that way.