• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More information/knowledge enhances one's belief or faith. Right?

ukok102nak

~;> perhaps if someone would ask a deacon (as what we do always ask first before complain)
someone would answer like this
:read: (as they say)
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy illegal gain;
Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

thats what weve heard and we havent seen anything which is confusing from the start of
discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
More information enhances one's belief or faith.
I beg to differ. More education and knowledge makes people to leave their faith-based beliefs. Let us not talk about a particular individual's education, knowledge or intelligence. It is not polite.

TruthEnder

Religions are more businesslike than that, and cultivate devotees. Usually, religious devotees will adhere to believing the doctrines which they are taught. More information does not usually lead to the diminishing of blind faith/belief. Blind faith is at its most effective stage when you can hold two opposing pieces of information in your head and abandon personal responsibility for your own beliefs concerning it. The idea here is that, with religious devotees, in abandoning personal responsibility, you let others choose on your behalf. With the non-religious abandoning personal responsibility for their beliefs, you have the "I don't believe God exists but I don't believe he doesn't exist either" line. Both the religious devotee and the non-religious person can argue that they are doing a responsible thing. My point of contention with all of these people is that what they are doing is based on feeling a sense of obligation to do what they are doing. They are abiding by some imperative that they have imagined. To some it is external, and to others it is internal.

For me, I feel no obligation to abandon personal responsibility for my beliefs. I feel no obligation to take personal responsibility for my beliefs: in this context, I mean that there's no imperative that I have imagined. My beliefs do not concern the possibility of God as relates to knowing or not knowing, which is what it boils down to for both the religious devotee and the non-religious person in my examples. As a consequence of taking personal responsibility for my beliefs, they concern my competency. I wish not to argue that this is in any way the right thing to do. I think it is advantageous, even if it seems expedient.

ukok102nak

~;> perhaps if someone would ask a deacon (as what we do always ask first before complain)
someone would answer like this
:read: (as they say)
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy illegal gain;
Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

thats what weve heard and we havent seen anything which is confusing from the start of
discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal

godbless
unto all always

:alien: one of many reasons how knowledge and understanding could attain from diffirent perspective if i may say so

or should i ask more ... .

godbless
unto all always

g2perk

Gibberish!
Faith is belief without sufficient evidence.
Historically, "more information" has always been the enemy of faith. As the actual causes of the 'miraculous' world become known, faith and belief in magic diminish.
You really believe what you just wrote...lol

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
More information enhances one's belief or faith. It is a wrong notion that information diminishes or ends the belief or faith. The faith/belief that ends or diminishes with more information or knowledge is a blind-faith/belief; it was not a truthful faith or belief to start with. My faith/belief increase with information and knowledge that is why I am always in search of more information and knowledge and I welcome it.
Right? Please

Thread open to all human beings of any hue or shade, whatsoever.
Regards

More information is not the same thing as more knowledge and more knowledge is not necessarily the same thing as more understanding (depending to at least some extent on what you think 'knowledge' and 'understanding' are).

Too much information can really get in the way of really understanding something, even when it is relevant to the subject, and if it is not relevant, it can really be just a distraction, or even a waste of time.

ukok102nak

:smoke: this is one
of my favorite written words as it is written
:read:
Surely I am more brutish than any man, and have not the understanding of a man.
I neither learned wisdom, nor have the knowledge of the holy.
Who has ascended up into heaven, or descended? who has gathered the wind in his fists? who has bound the waters in a garment? who has established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if you can tell?
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add you not unto his words, lest he reprove you, and you be found a liar.

They that led him changing the good will they bare him a little before into hatred, because the foresaid speeches proceeded, as they thought, from a desperate mind.
But when he was ready to die with stripes, he groaned, and said, It is manifest unto the Lord, that hath the holy knowledge, that whereas I might have been delivered from death, I now endure sore pains in body by being beaten: but in soul am well content to suffer these things, because I fear him.

Therefore if so be that ye will subdue your own understanding, and reform your hearts, ye shall be kept alive and after death ye shall obtain mercy.

godbless
unto all always

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I beg to differ. More education and knowledge makes people to leave their faith-based beliefs. Let us not talk about a particular individual's education, knowledge or intelligence. It is not polite.

That is just an illusion or a blind-faith not a truthful faith:

[21:19] Nay, We hurl the truth at falsehood, and it breaks its head, and lo, it perishes. And woe be to you for that which you ascribe to God.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=21&verse=18
Regards

ukok102nak

:smoke: this is one
of my favorite written words as it is written
:read:
Surely I am more brutish than any man, and have not the understanding of a man.
I neither learned wisdom, nor have the knowledge of the holy.
Who has ascended up into heaven, or descended? who has gathered the wind in his fists? who has bound the waters in a garment? who has established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if you can tell?
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add you not unto his words, lest he reprove you, and you be found a liar.

They that led him changing the good will they bare him a little before into hatred, because the foresaid speeches proceeded, as they thought, from a desperate mind.
But when he was ready to die with stripes, he groaned, and said, It is manifest unto the Lord, that hath the holy knowledge, that whereas I might have been delivered from death, I now endure sore pains in body by being beaten: but in soul am well content to suffer these things, because I fear him.

Therefore if so be that ye will subdue your own understanding, and reform your hearts, ye shall be kept alive and after death ye shall obtain mercy.

godbless
unto all always

:smoke: by the way
Let not mercy and truth forsake you: bind them about your neck; write them upon the table of yours heart:
So shall you find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

Then shall you understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
When wisdom enters into yours heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto your soul;
Discretion shall preserve you, understanding shall keep you:
To deliver you from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaks perverse things;
Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;
Who rejoice to do evil, and delight in the perverseness of the wicked;
Whose ways are crooked, and they perverse in their paths:

... . this is one of many interpretation of knowledge and understanding if someone would ask me
yes its me :smoke: . ...

godbless
unto all always

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I have difficulty reading novels, let alone dry philosophy, difficult 'literature', or scripture from a foreign (to me) faith.

Much truth. I've mentioned in the past that I packed away many, nay most of the books I've collected having to do with philosophy. Despite my penchant for collecting books (that accursed ocpd! :mad:) I have a hard time getting into them. I think another "culling of the herd" is approaching. I used to be an avid reader, but it's so much easier to watch a movie. I started reading William Buck's re-telling of the Ramāyana over a month ago, and I think I'm just into chapter 2. I started Autobiography of a Yogi a couple of years ago, and I'm still at chapter 8. :facepalm: For me, reading material has to be especially gripping, a real page-turner, or something that I can skip around in. The Bhagavad Gita falls into the latter category.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Most of my favorite books are children's novels. Teaching did a number on me, Most are a good story, but pure, not creepy, or deranged. You can still sleep at night.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Beezus and Ramona! :D And Henry Huggins, of course.