• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality Of Magick

Lux, Nox, Right Hand and Left. Is there morality to magick? Is one morally culpable for a deed done thru it?
Is Lux(white light) the only decent path? Can Nox(Left Hand Path) be used for good things?
Are the two paths victims of bias y religion? I.e. the way Wiccans universally shy from Nox, and Satanists deride Lux.
My opinion is this: if you could not handle the consiquences/guilt/burden of an action carried out in the flesh then do not do it thru Magick. If youare not willing to draw a man'sn blood with your hands, then do not hex/curse/put the root down upon/etc him.
I have no aversion to Lux or Nox, and use both as the situation warrents, tho like many Chaoists, I consider myself an off-white magickian. :mrgreen:
This is tosay, I am capable of cruelty,but prefer kindness. Once my hand is forced, I no longer play nicely, however.
How do other Magickians feel about this?

Master Vigil

I would say that either side is subjective, as is the idea of morality. It is up to ther practitioner to decide what is moral for them.

Ravensong

8) For myself I have never found a need great enough that my use of only white magick has not been enough to see me through ... If I'm pushed I fight however if it's so bad I give it to my God's , I've never known them to let me down ... So I just can not see the need to cause anything or anyone harm magickally . Come to think of it I can only think of 3 times when I've had to resort to physical fighting , don't get me wrong I don't back down but I don't need to use my gifts to harm another either ... :fight: :lol:

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
I'm going to go and probably peeve some people here, but hey.

I don't think there is any such thing as good and bad (or white or black) witchcraft. It never seems to work for long. I've always believed you can only be what you are.

Ravensong

:clap: So what you are saying if I'm wrong tell me is : In my case I am one who will not do harm with magick which in my case no harm without magick too . However if someone decides to grow the need to harm others in themselves and then they add magick to what they are they will use magick to harm ...
Well imagine that I've just defined in my view the difference between white and black magick :party:
I'm in no way peeved and your opinion really is not so different than mine :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
No indeed it isn't, but once you realise that the borders between the two words are so vague, then the need to have these borders at all is reduced. What I am saying is that if we set out to be a "good" Witch then we cannot possibly succeed, as there are parts of all of us that are both good and bad. I was merely suggesting that because this is the case, we need not differentiate between the two kinds of Magic (I dislike the added K, so I won't use it). We can only be human after all, regardless of what path we follow, be it Wiccan or Christian, or buddhist or anything else.

Hierophant

Greetings...

This is my first post here so let me tell you a little about myself before I get started. I have been actively practicing for several years. Long enough to elevate to the rank of High Priest within my own magickal tradition. However, that doesn't mean much outside of it. I do my practice and work within my coven and work to teach my students what I know.

In my experience there is no morality to magick in as much as there is no morality in a hammer. They are both tools. I can use a hammer to build a house or I can use it to bash someone's skull in. The same goes for magick. I can work for happiness, joy and do no harm or I can cast curses and do malignant acts. The magick won't be responsible for this but I will. The point about using magick is that you have to be able to accept personal responsibility for your actions, good or bad.

One action is not inherently good or bad but the outcome of it is what causes reactions that we must pay for. Consider someone lying in the hospitable being kept alive by machines and drugs alone. You know this is not a good life and they will not recover. So if you work to end their pain and cause them harm through death, is it a good or bad thing? Likewise think about the robber in a store that you have a chance to critically injure but in doing so you will save the life of 3 people. Life isn't really about good or bad. It is about choices and working to make the best choices that positively effect the world around you. Sometimes those choices lead to bad acts, sometimes they lead to good acts. In the end it should balance out with a net positive effect on those around you.