• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moon worship?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay so I’ve seen this in Bollywood films. I’m curious. What’s the story of moon worship? What rituals are involved? Is this Northern, Eastern or Western thing?
(I’m southern and we don’t do this, so I’m assuming it’s not a southern thing.)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Okay so I’ve seen this in Bollywood films. I’m curious. What’s the story of moon worship? What rituals are involved? Is this Northern, Eastern or Western thing?
(I’m southern and we don’t do this, so I’m assuming it’s not a southern thing.)
Moon has impact on mind (lunatics).

Maha Shivaratri is when there is minimum moon influence. When meditating all night one get enlightenment in 1 night

So, for sure it's a Eastern (Hindu) thing

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Moon worship is a request for welfare of the family by the women. 'Karva Chauth' is one such major festival of North India (Oct. 24, 2021). No food, no water for the day. Many men too fast along with their wives in support. Hindus in countries other than India will also celebrate this festivalAlso, many of the fasts end with sighting the new moon, or on specific phase of the moon (e.g., Ganesh Chaturthi on the fourth day).

It is a sort of women's day. A day before Karva Chauth women will have henna applied to their hands. The starts with the mother-in-law preparing food and gifts for the daughter-in-law before the sunrise and the daughter-in-law reciprocating with gifts. In the evening married women will be in their best finery (bangles, necklaces, ear-rings, etc.) and would get together dance and sing. When the moon appears it is customary to first look towards moon through a sieve (was never able to understand the significance of this) and then similarly towards the husband. The husbands will then offer a glass of water to the wife, and then the feast begins (all vegetarian).

Karva Chauth - Wikipedia
Karva Chauth 2020 - Google Search
Videos also of people celebrating it.

1280px-Karva_Chauth_puja.jpg

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I'm from South of India and only thing I know of Moon worship is that, as per your birth star (nakshatra), a specific day each month becomes your 'Moon Ashtami' day and refraining from talking in any form on this day earns you merit from Moon. This day each month is referred as 'Chandrashtami' (Chandra + Ashtami). You need your astrological birth nakshatra to find your Chandrashtami day.

Also, another belief is that if you suffer from planet Moon's malicious nature astrologically, fasting on Monday earns you merit and eases you out of Moon's bad effects.