• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheism: a path to Godlessness?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Your post beautifully clarifies things I did not understand well enough from Rushkoff on the transition from abstract monotheism to humanism within Jewish culture. Especially this statement of yours helps me make sense of it, "Judaism is about holy society and society is about humanity. This is a rife breeding ground for humanism." I am still not as clear as I would like to be on this issue, but you've given me an approach to work on here. Thank you, Jay!

I suspect I'll have some thoughts to add to this by and by, but I need to mull things over first.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jay said:
...while Judaism is societal Christianity is individual/personal (almost narcissistic)...

Is there any link between the anthropormorphic deity of Christianity and the Christian tendency towards individualism when compared to Judaism? I can think of none.

Also, do you think Rushkoff would argue that the anthropormophism in Chistianity prevents or inhibits Christians from developing abstract monotheism to such an extent that they get beyond the need for deity?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sorry - I just stumbled upon this unanswered question.

While I cannot speak for Rushkoff, from my perspective Christianity is a retreat from iconoclasm and abstract monotheism in the direction of an individualistic, Hellenized idolatry.