• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monastic orders and how to join.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
You sure you want to be celibate? Im celibate and I chose that cuz my sex drive was low when i made the vow i did. But now it's lately been very high. It can be difficult to keep a celibacy vow. Celibacy is not for everyone. Id advise thinking long and hard before choosing it. Especially on if youd still be able to keep it if your sex drive changes or is high at any point.
I do think celibacy would be an accomplishment for me. I see the good in it. Difficult it would be, but perhaps necessary for my development.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I do think celibacy would be an accomplishment for me. I see the good in it. Difficult it would be, but perhaps necessary for my development.
Well. If you need any advice on celibacy dont ask me. Im still trying to get a handle on my own sex drive changing recently since I have to stay celibate for two more years. And im about to go on T. So i reckon itll get even higher soon. All i can say is think long and hard on it and consider the pros and cons and keep in mind sexuality can change over time.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have decided not to be a monk.

I have a few reasons. I need to be able to achieve what I would like out of monkhood on my own through discipline and force of will

Got back with my boyfriend, so I'm not gonna be hopping back and forth on my decision. No being a monk for me!

vulcanlogician

I have a few reasons. I need to be able to achieve what I would like out of monkhood on my own through discipline and force of will

Got back with my boyfriend, so I'm not gonna be hopping back and forth on my decision. No being a monk for me!

If you are curious what the monastic life is like, many monasteries will allow you to stay for a retreat. If anything, it's a good way to clear your head and get some perspective.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm happy to hear that, really. Not that I think a monk's lifestyle is bad. I don't. I was just kinda concerned to see you cutting ties so soon.

Perhaps you can build a monk-like lifestyle at home. Build up a set schedule of prayer and meditation.

In my 20s I considered joining a Soto Zen Monastic order, I did formally recieve the Lay Precepts, and myself professed a Bodhisattva Vow , yet it was not for me. It is not that I disagreed or found the lifestyle I saw the Monks and Nuns live as unappealing...At that time in my life, it certainly was. But commitment to a organization was the main sticking point for me, as I saw some dysfunction in the system (similar in most, basic things that could prove more of a obstacle than a growth opportunity for many people)
I think I made the right decision for myself, yet many people do benifit greatly from a monastic life, it certainly is not for most people. And most monastics do not consider themselves elites in Their Faith, but do in the particular Organizations.