• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monastic orders and how to join.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hello.

I'm seriously contemplating attempting to join a monastic order somewhere. I'm not sure what kind of monastic order is ideal for me or would even accept me, though.

Has anyone here ever been a monk? Can you relay your experience? How did you get started?

Ideally, I will be establishing various cults and temples in my town, as well as other things, but I am far from this lofty goal. I am a captive to "sin" or "desire" or however you frame negative behavior. I need an environment where I can spiritually grow to my great potential. I think concentrated focus on spiritual practice would be ideal for me; the life of a monk!

So, does anyone have any pointers? I'd be much obliged.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello.

I'm seriously contemplating attempting to join a monastic order somewhere. I'm not sure what kind of monastic order is ideal for me or would even accept me, though.

Has anyone here ever been a monk? Can you relay your experience? How did you get started?

Ideally, I will be establishing various cults and temples in my town, as well as other things, but I am far from this lofty goal. I am a captive to "sin" or "desire" or however you frame negative behavior. I need an environment where I can spiritually grow to my great potential. I think concentrated focus on spiritual practice would be ideal for me; the life of a monk!

So, does anyone have any pointers? I'd be much obliged.
They vary a lot. I've never been a monk, but I am quite familiar with a small Hindu monastic order. Firstly, I think it would be obvious that you narrow it down to the religion that you currently believe in, although there are a few rather universalist ones. Not all religions even have a monastic side to them. Then basically, all you have to do is find them, then write to them, and they'll surely let you know the process of becoming a monk in their order.

They vary a lot in strictness. Some have a great deal of silence and prayer, some are self-sufficient, and others work a lot out in the world.

Why do you want to become a monk?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Monastic life may be attractive enough to make you consider joining an order. At the same time, monastic life may not be the right life for you as an individual. In my case, when I was in my 20s, I found it appealing, and I still do, but I am aware that I am personally not suitable for it, even if I were still eligible to join a Hindu monastery.

Ideally, I will be establishing various cults and temples in my town, as well as other things, but I am far from this lofty goal.

Who inspires you to want to pursue that goal?

I am a captive to "sin" or "desire" or however you frame negative behavior.

Would you be any different in a monastery?

I need an environment where I can spiritually grow to my great potential.

What is your great potential?

I think concentrated focus on spiritual practice would be ideal for me; the life of a monk!

Do you currently spend hours each and every day doing meditation, prayer, and worship? Are you one to prefer your own schedule?

There are no wrong answers to those questions.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Who inspires you to want to pursue that goal?
Who? I think I'm my own inspiration.

I do suppose it was Confucius who put the belief in me that I can change the world.

Would you be any different in a monastery?
I think so. I think environment is key for me. I'm trapped in this material world.

What is your great potential?
To change the world.

Do you currently spend hours each and every day doing meditation, prayer, and worship? Are you one to prefer your own schedule?
*Sigh* it's been years. When I was 20 I had my routine down where I did nothing but pray, meditate, worship, and study. That is when I was most content in my life. So that's how I know that that lifestyle is right for me.

I don't use my freetime wisely nowadays, half the time I'm just beat from work and depressed too so I sleep a lot.

I'm not sure about preferring my own schedule

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I aspire to live their lifestyle, knowing it will bring me peace.

I want to set the trajectory of my life right
Fortunately, most orders have trial or novice programs. It's not an 'all in' from the get go, so young aspirants are allowed to change their minds. In Hinduism, most orders take great pains to make sure everyone knows it's no escape from the world, but actually taking on a whole lot of new responsibilities of a different nature. In other words, hard work.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Fortunately, most orders have trial or novice programs. It's not an 'all in' from the get go, so young aspirants are allowed to change their minds. In Hinduism, most orders take great pains to make sure everyone knows it's no escape from the world, but actually taking on a whole lot of new responsibilities of a different nature. In other words, hard work.
What do you think some of the struggles for new monks are?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What do you think some of the struggles for new monks are?
I've watched this in a fairly strict order for 40 plus years now. Fitting in with the monastery flow, thinking independently, yet under the guidance of the Guru, celibacy, commitment, restraining desires to go back to the world, cutting ties from family and friends, obedience, humility, rising at 4 AM regularly, and more.

Because it's a strict order, I've seen monk aspirants last 2 days, a week, 6 weeks, a year, 6 years, etc. I'd estimate that for each one that gets to the full sannyasin vows after 12 years, there are 20 who start but drop out, for all kinds of reasons, known only to themselves and the Guru. It is rare that somebody leaves after taking sannyas vows, but it does happen.

Then there are those like me who think about it, but never even get to the first trial stage, which is working at the monastery from off the site for a few weeks as a volunteer.

But as I said before, not all monasteries are nearly as strict as the one I know. In Hinduism, most likely the Ramakrishna Mission is one of the more liberal ones. I believe they accept widowers, but am not sure. There are many in the Himalayas and throughout India.

Last I heard, our friend Kirran, who doesn't come here any more, was seriously considering it.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've watched this in a fairly strict order for 40 plus years now. Fitting in with the monastery flow, thinking independently, yet under the guidance of the Guru, celibacy, commitment, restraining desires to go back to the world, cutting ties from family and friends, obedience, humility, rising at 4 AM regularly, and more.

Because it's a strict order, I've seen monk aspirants last 2 days, a week, 6 weeks, a year, 6 years, etc. I'd estimate that for each one that gets to the full sannyasin vows after 12 years, there are 20 who start but drop out, for all kinds of reasons, known only to themselves and the Guru. It is rare that somebody leaves after taking sannyas vows, but it does happen.

Then there are those like me who think about it, but never even get to the first trial stage, which is working at the monastery from off the site for a few weeks as a volunteer.

But as I said before, not all monasteries are nearly as strict as the one I know. In Hinduism, most likely the Ramakrishna Mission is one of the more liberal ones. I believe they accept widowers, but am not sure. There are many in the Himalayas and throughout India.

Last I heard, our friend Kirran, who doesn't come here any more, was seriously considering it.
That does sound very challenging. Are monks required to sever all relationships, or merely distance? (For example, must they cut ties with their mother, or can they drop her a letter every so often?)

There's a Buddhist monastery two hours to the north of here that allows temporary stays. I think that's nice they do that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That does sound very challenging. Are monks required to sever all relationships, or merely distance? (For example, must they cut ties with their mother, or can they drop her a letter every so often?)

There's a Buddhist monastery two hours to the north of here that allows temporary stays. I think that's nice they do that.
I'm sure that depends on the monastery. At the one I know, the family interaction is limited to once a year. The monk gets a couple of days off, and takes the role of the host for his family, whether it be sister, Mom, or whomever. The other monks see any monk's relatives as their own relatives. So done correctly a Mother would have 20 sons. That's the spirit of things. It's a distancing, but not a total severing of relationships.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What do you mean…?

Humbly,
Hermit
Well there is pretty much nothing but Christian churches where I live. Nothing for someone like me.

I would like to establish various religious centers where people can come and worship, meditate, pray, read, and the such.

I'm in the literal sunniest place. And there's no sun worship here!!! Me thinks that should change.

Another example is I'd like to make a shrine or a temple to Set the god of the desert, if my relationship fully develops with the god that way. I'm in a desert.

There's no active dharmic centers in my town either.

I am creating my own religion essentially, so I need to create my own thing out where I live.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Are monks required to sever all relationships, or merely distance
Well after doing a bit of research, it appears I would have to break up with my boyfriend for the time being ;-;

Have to be single and celibate, generally speaking. I wouldn't just want to take a break from my relationship id have to break up just not fair to the bf to have him wait for me especially if I'm a while.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Well after doing a bit of research, it appears I would have to break up with my boyfriend for the time being ;-;

Have to be single and celibate, generally speaking. I wouldn't just want to take a break from my relationship id have to break up just not fair to the bf to have him wait for me especially if I'm a while.
That's fair. I wouldn't want to leave my husband to join a monastic order, so I get where you're coming from.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
That's fair. I wouldn't want to leave my husband to join a monastic order, so I get where you're coming from.
I talked to him a bit he said if it'd make me happy he would support me being a monk. But after that conversation I researched more and realized I'd have to break up with him. So gotta talk to him again LOL but I do think I could choose the monastic life over my boyfriend for the time being.

Nothing against my boyfriend I just gotta do what's best for me. I got a long ways to go though. But like, one of the Vedanta societies that are just a state away said you gotta be celibate and sober for six months prior to joining. So maybe in a case like that id just have to be my boyfriends friend.

When I create my own temple my monks can bring their wifeys and husbands.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Welp.

Broke up with my boyfriend for the pursuit of being a monk. Figured the sooner the better.

Gotta work on my sobriety next. Once my vapes run out im gonna try to be sober.

Call me "Xavier the Chaste" for now on

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am a captive to "sin" or "desire" or however you frame negative behavior. I need an environment where I can spiritually grow to my great potential. I think concentrated focus on spiritual practice would be ideal for me; the life of a monk!
Since you are a captive to 'sin' or 'desire', I think being a 'fake tantrik monk' will suit you the best. Check, there may be such persona in your country or near about. Otherwise you will have to journey to India, where you can find them in almost every locality.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Welp.

Broke up with my boyfriend for the pursuit of being a monk. Figured the sooner the better.

Gotta work on my sobriety next. Once my vapes run out im gonna try to be sober.

Call me "Xavier the Chaste" for now on

Just throw them away. And don't look back. Strike while the iron's hot.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

You sure you want to be celibate? Im celibate and I chose that cuz my sex drive was low when i made the vow i did. But now it's lately been very high. It can be difficult to keep a celibacy vow. Celibacy is not for everyone. Id advise thinking long and hard before choosing it. Especially on if youd still be able to keep it if your sex drive changes or is high at any point.