• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Moderning' Religious Architecture

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I don't think it's necessary. It can change the whole atmosphere of beautiful, religious buildings. Take the Faculty of Islamic Studies womens' campus in Sarajevo. It has a beautiful, central courtyard with the sadrvan fountain so women can perform the ritual cleansing before prayers.

The atmosphere here has always been fresh air, and exposure to the elements. Whether it's sunny, raining, or a cold Winter day - this is where women came together to wash before prayers.

Now they've built a glass roof over the courtyard. It's more modern, functional - yes - but it loses so much of its atmosphere. You can't even hear the birds outside anymore.

1um8.jpg

Just a year ago, this is what it looked like. This was the atmosphere...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRn2fLDLz4k

What do you think of such changes?

Hacker

Could you explain to me more about the ritual cleaning before prayers? What is the rationale if you don't mind me asking? I find that interesting.

Ðanisty

I think it would look better without the glass roof. A courtyard like that isn't supposed to be enclosed.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think the glass roof doesn't suit the architecture at all. If a roof was to be added....it should have been made out of materials other than steel.

Ozzie

Buttercup said:
I think the glass roof doesn't suit the architecture at all. If a roof was to be added....it should have been made out of materials other than steel.

The plants look happy.