• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moderation?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Under the old software, restricted sections were color-coded to make it easier for members to identify. It seems they haven't been able to replicate it under the new software.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Under the old software, restricted sections were color-coded to make it easier for members to identify. It seems they haven't been able to replicate it under the new software.

This is confusing, in the sections where my posts where moderated would they follow the green or blue rules?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Further, even when DIRs were green, we never allowed debating in them or undermining the spirit/tenants of a given DIR area. We'll be revising Rule 10, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet.

GoodbyeDave

Because sometimes, people want to have conversations with those of like mind without those conversations constantly being derailed, interrupted, and disrespected by outsiders. The debate areas are for that. The DIRs are not.
Of course, suspending (and, for repeated infringement, banning) those who show disrespect would have the result without the occasional aggravation.

Incidentally, I'm always amused by the "discussion, not debate" rules. As it says in the OED,
discuss Examination (of a point) by argument, etc; debate...
Or, for those USians who don't trust darned furriners, Webster's New dictionary of synonyms says
Discuss, argue, debate mean to discourse about something in order to arrive a the truth or to convince others. Discuss implies an attempt to sift or examine especially by presenting considerations pro and con... Debate stresses formal or public argument...

Skwim

Veteran Member
My biggest problem with the lack of colored DIRs is stumbling into them by mistake, and then getting my hand slapped.
smiley_aafz.gif
If nothing else, put the "DIR" in another font and bold it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
FYI, it's been our policy backstage for a while now to not formally ding people on Rule 10 unless there's some other rule violation involved or they're habitually making "mistakes" (at which point, the staff start to doubt the mistakes are genuine, and the person is simply ignoring the policy for DIRs).

We've let our staff know that it's okay for them to do mod posts without consensus, which may help a bit with DIR threads. Heck, regular members can feel free to remind people that a thread is in a DIR, provided it's done politely. :D

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Also, can there be a rule about not putting something that says something to the effect of:

"Siddhartha's teachings, true or false?"

in the Buddhism DIR?

Because often times the title can be confusing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If folks have problems with titles, they can report the OP and fill in a note letting us know that's the reason they reported it. The staff can then take a look at it. We can and do edit thread titles from time to time.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
If folks have problems with titles, they can report the OP and fill in a note letting us know that's the reason they reported it. The staff can then take a look at it. We can and do edit thread titles from time to time.

Thank you for informing me.

Sorry for breaking the rules.

Except the part about defending intersexuals there, I knew that might be crossing the line but he was just to grating.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course, suspending (and, for repeated infringement, banning) those who show disrespect would have the result without the occasional aggravation.

Disrespect is only one aspect. Sometimes (for example) Christians would like to discuss a topic without atheist opinions, no matter how respectfully raised they are.
Just as feminists want to discuss issues without non-feminist opinions derailing the discussion.

Personally, I rarely use a DIR thread, but the facility is there for more than just preventing disrespectful posters.