• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missionary experiences

I found this link at the internet:

Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons

In it talk a young man about his experinces as gay mormon on a mission for the Lord and the church.
But this could, but also could NOT be a topic. The Mission you served should be the topic! Who was serving a mission? When? Who? What are YOUR personalest experiences you want to share with us?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
seeing as the group of which you speak of are dissenters from the truth, I am not sure what you wish to discuss. they vainly hope that God will change his will regarding homosexuality. the fact remains that we hold the belief that homosexual urges are no different than any other sin to which all mankind are predisposed to.

Ether 12:
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto menweakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will Iweak things become strong unto them make .

My main thing is not to talk about gay missionaries, I want to talk about your exprinces as Missionaries. E.g., as my nephew served in Austria, he want to make winter sport (skiing). His companion, too. But it was forbidden by th mission rules, but, as you know young men, they did it and were disobey. My nephew had breaking bones and were send home.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I went to San Diego, California. I was there for 14 months before being sent home with a dislocated knee. I loved my time there as well as the people.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
By th way, as the bible proofs it: Homosexuality is not a sin nor a sickness as I posted in this forum about Physin and Paraphysin (Romans 1:26ff) Or about Leviticus.
Get lost. Your opinions on homosexuality have no place on the LDS DIR.

DavyCrocket2003

seeing as the group of which you speak of are dissenters from the truth, I am not sure what you wish to discuss. they vainly hope that God will change his will regarding homosexuality. the fact remains that we hold the belief that homosexual urges are no different than any other sin to which all mankind are predisposed to.

Ether 12:
I don't know about this. Homosexual urges are in no way sinful as far as I know. It is how you deal with the urges that count. We are not judged on what temptations we receive in this life, we are judged on how we deal with them. When a bad thought or temptation comes into your mind, you have to deal with it appropriately. Just because we had / have them doesn't make us bad. Sheesh, if we didn't ever have bad thoughts or desires, how could we even be good? You can't be good without experiencing opposition.

Get lost. Your opinions on homosexuality have no place on the LDS DIR.

As I told it in a previous post, my main topic isn't gay missionaries, it is Missionary experiences
I started with this topic, cause some of the missionaries found out on their mission, that they are gay or bisesxual.
For example: I know a former missionary from Ausria who served in Hamburg. He found out on his mission, that he wasn't a "normal" man. That he love to wear female underwear. He was send home, cause he put the Garment of and this cloths on under his suit.
Another example: Another Missionary from California I met in Austria found out that he didn't love his girlfriend, that he loves a woman he teached the gospel and was later a convert. He keep the rules, and married her after he was send home in honor.
Both found in their time as missionaries something out about themselves

Last edited:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I don't know about this. Homosexual urges are in no way sinful as far as I know. It is how you deal with the urges that count. We are not judged on what temptations we receive in this life, we are judged on how we deal with them. When a bad thought or temptation comes into your mind, you have to deal with it appropriately. Just because we had / have them doesn't make us bad. Sheesh, if we didn't ever have bad thoughts or desires, how could we even be good? You can't be good without experiencing opposition.

sorry i said that wrong I meant to say that it's no different than any other sinful urge.

Zadok

Zadok
I thought I would share one experience I had on my mission. I was serving in Seattle at the time and my area included the University of Washington. The president of the Church was David O. MacKay. The time was the late 60’s. The LDS church had taken it first steps in public relations and introduced a movie called “Man’s search for happiness” at the New York world’s fair. Our mission got some of the first copies of this movie and I and my companion were one of the first missionaries to have an opportunity to show this movie. We advertized in the student newspaper and planed to show the movie at the LDS institute building near the University of Washington campus.

Saturday morning when we went to show the movie there was already a line over 3 blocks long to see the movie. We were most excited at the prospects of showing the movie. However, we discovered that there was a misprint in the student paper advertising the movie. Instead of introducing the movie as the LDS film “Man’s search for happiness” the paper and printed the movie as the LSD film “Man’s search for happiness”. There was not even one person in that line interested in the concept of family as a source of happiness – which was the main point of the film – that family in the most rewarding long term way of happiness.

I regret that so many of this generation have turned away from family in search of happiness and have found that untold amounts of sorrow have followed them.

Zadok

I remembr that movie. In my ward it was shown as slide movie with a tape. I saw it as I was with our Missionaries to visit a family which later jointed to the church. The missionaries thought the family that a family can be together forever through the temple ceremonies and to be obey to the gospel.
Family forever?
Would I'll be with my family forever? A father which beat and raped us (Gina and me) all the time, a mother which look away, and his family which think that we deserved it as he punched us close to death. And a view members of our ward did know it, but even they look away and did nothing.
Was this the "blessings of the gospel"? This was the first time in my life that I asked myself if the church was true. Later I found out that this endowment was stolen by JS from the free masons.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I thought I would share one experience I had on my mission. I was serving in Seattle at the time and my area included the University of Washington. The president of the Church was David O. MacKay. The time was the late 60’s. The LDS church had taken it first steps in public relations and introduced a movie called “Man’s search for happiness” at the New York world’s fair. Our mission got some of the first copies of this movie and I and my companion were one of the first missionaries to have an opportunity to show this movie. We advertized in the student newspaper and planed to show the movie at the LDS institute building near the University of Washington campus.

Saturday morning when we went to show the movie there was already a line over 3 blocks long to see the movie. We were most excited at the prospects of showing the movie. However, we discovered that there was a misprint in the student paper advertising the movie. Instead of introducing the movie as the LDS film “Man’s search for happiness” the paper and printed the movie as the LSD film “Man’s search for happiness”. There was not even one person in that line interested in the concept of family as a source of happiness – which was the main point of the film – that family in the most rewarding long term way of happiness.

I regret that so many of this generation have turned away from family in search of happiness and have found that untold amounts of sorrow have followed them.

Zadok
Oh man, that is a sad commentary.

I can remember when that film came out. I was at the world's fair that year and saw it there for the first time. When the grandfather died and was met by his loved ones in Paradise, I bawled so hard I thought I would never have any tears left in me. As cheesy as the film was by today's standards, I still remember the effect it had on me. I think if I were to see it today, I would have exactly the same reaction. It had a beautiful message -- definitely a better one than any movie on LSD could have.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
speaking of movies I wish they would remake Saturday's Warrior. It is an amazing movie, but I am having a hard time trying to get my wife to watch it because it is just soooooooo cheesy and dated now.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
speaking of movies I wish they would remake Saturday's Warrior. It is an amazing movie, but I am having a hard time trying to get my wife to watch it because it is just soooooooo cheesy and dated now.
Actually, I think the temple movies are due for a remake. ;)