• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mis-translated Bible terms infavor of meat eating?

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Gosh two distinct questions .....

namaskaram Eliab ben Benjamin ji

Shalom , ..
why does it have to be about Guilt ? may be you just have a compassionate streak ;)

It was both guilt and defiance when i was 10 ... and thereafter until i left my parents home ...
let me try and explain the guilt part .... not long after my aforementioned trip to the country,
where i had first witnessed baby lambs frolicking in the fields ... my mother served a typical
(Manchester UK) meal of Lamb Chops ... in my mind i still have the vivid picture of that plate
of food with the murdered lambs .. I saw a hill of mashed potatoes, a valley of peas and the
two lambs frolicking over the hill to then fall dead on my plate as two lamb chops ...

That was the moment i became a vegetarian ... which leads to the second question ...
if you dont mind my asking , ...is your vegetarianism well received amongst your family and comunity or is there some cultural presure as a Jew to accept meat ?

Family certainly ... well my father, with his "you will eat what is put in front of you , and like IT"
attitude, .... i was defiant and would not eat the flesh, just the vegetables of the plate leaving
any meat product ..... Mother became complicit by sneaking me nuts and pulses to eat after
in my bedroom ... father maintained his attitude till i left home age 22 ....

Community or Cultural pressure no not at all , although there remains an acknowledgement
that i may be somewhat ODD ..... (guess they are correct, me lobbying Govt. and attaining,
Cycle helmet laws, Disability Act, Rehabilitation facilities etc..... and being a Paramedic and
Biomedical Engineer ) ....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram , Eliab ben Benjamin ji

well congratulations to you , I had a similar experience , my father came of a farm and going back in the summer to visit nana was a great eye opener , ...it takes a while for reality to sink in but I too remember being disgusted that they could kill these animals , I dont realy think that I equated the meat on the plate with body parts of animals untill I saw them pluck a chicken , ....but I was told in no uncertain terms that I would eat what I vas served or i didnt leave the table I remember sitting there refusing to eat a cold plat of congeiled lamb and gravy for hours on end on many an occasion , when I did realise that there were such things as vegetarians I was told that you will eat what you are told untill you are sixteen then you can cook for your self , .....so I did , ...untill I left home I lived on vegetable stew and musli

god on you for daring to be defiant :)

my parents still think I am just being odd or difficult , ....

Community or Cultural pressure no not at all , although there remains an acknowledgement
that i may be somewhat ODD ..... (guess they are correct, me lobbying Govt. and attaining,
Cycle helmet laws, Disability Act, Rehabilitation facilities etc..... and being a Paramedic and
Biomedical Engineer ) ....
juat a caring person , ...that is what I call a real human being , ....

Etritonakin

I don't have to think that the bible is wrong, in order to come to the conclusion that you are incorrect. Tell me this, since we're going by the Bible. Why did G-d dislike Cains offering, if He wanted us to be vegetarian, in any capacity? Is this deity deranged? Why would His own meat eating to spiritual purity ratio be off the table when it concerned sacrifice to Him?
o_OBecause he didn't eat the sheep or the stuff Cain brought. They weren't on the table. It wasn't dinnertime or anything, dude.

If Cain raised the little sheeps and Abel tilled the ground, it would have made no difference.
Don'tcha think it had to do with something other than a preference for sheep over produce?

Animal sacrifice might make one wonder if God had any regard for the cute little animals -but Cain and Abel's offerings had nothing whatsoever to do with anyone's diet.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
o_OBecause he didn't eat the sheep or the stuff Cain brought. They weren't on the table. It wasn't dinnertime or anything, dude.

If Cain raised the little sheeps and Abel tilled the ground, it would have made no difference.
Don'tcha think it had to do with something other than a preference for sheep over produce?

Animal sacrifice might make one wonder if God had any regard for the cute little animals -but Cain and Abel's offerings had nothing whatsoever to do with anyone's diet.
This doesn't answer my question at all. In fact, that would be strange to accept the 'lesser', or less spiritually pure, offering.

Etritonakin

This doesn't answer my question at all. In fact, that would be strange to accept the 'lesser', or less spiritually pure, offering.
Sometimes the answer is wrong -sometimes the question is wrong.

Why do you think God did not regard Cain's offering?

It was not that he preferred sheep over produce.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with what the offering WAS.

If they both tended sheep -or both grew produce -
there could still be something else ABOUT the offering OTHER than what is was that God did not regard.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sometimes the answer is wrong -sometimes the question is wrong.

Why do you think God did not regard Cain's offering?

It was not that he preferred sheep over produce.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with what the offering WAS.

If they both tended sheep -or both grew produce -
there could still be something else ABOUT the offering OTHER than what is was that God did not regard.

How do you know this? There isn't any indication that this is the case. Are you saying that G-d already knew that He wasn't going to accept Cains offering, but just let him offer it anyway? This sounds like a deranged deity.

Etritonakin

How do you know this? There isn't any indication that this is the case. Are you saying that G-d already knew that He wasn't going to accept Cains offering, but just let him offer it anyway? This sounds like a deranged deity.
Sounds to me more like a preconceived notion of a deranged deity.

I know by putting it in the context of many other things. I do not have the time, will or energy to do that work for you.

Please read more of the scriptures if you are sincerely interested in them.

Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sounds to me more like a preconceived notion of a deranged deity.

I know by putting it in the context of many other things. I do not have the time, will or energy to do that work for you.

Please read more of the scriptures if you are sincerely interested in them.

Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
So, no argument presented. I wonder why you stated your argument in the first place, then. Oh well!

Etritonakin

So, no argument presented. I wonder why you stated your argument in the first place, then. Oh well!
Argument is to be avoided. Agreement is to be sought.

I sought agreement in the first place. :)

I find it sad that people think they win by destroying others -or think they are right by accusing others of imperfection.

I would love to see through the eyes of others -but they hate me because I have not.