• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind=Reality=Language

Ostronomos

As many of you might recall, I posted a theory called the theory-reality correspondence on this forum which explains and breaks down the fundamental idea behind Christopher Langan's Metaformal System.

To my surprise, it has gained acceptance among the Philosophical community at large and among Langan's followers as seen here: CTMU, MADE SIMPLE: The Metaformal System and the G.O.D. Equations

This paper briefly points out that Mind=reality=language.

There are a few questions to be answered in the name of science. Such as; how does reality create mind and mind create reality? What is a neuron if not a language?

This paper I predict will allow scientists to make tremendous leaps in artificial intelligence in the next 5 years.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Well, the article got 2 likes. And unless you're the author of the article, I suspect you're thinking something you posted inspired the author of the article?

I think it would be good to post a link to your own work if you intend to take credit for it.

Thank you,

Ostronomos

Mind, Reality, or Mere Language?​

Polylogue on Reality and Language between Eytan Suchard, Shimon Vaknin, and Sam Vaknin

The gauge principle is indeed totally contrary to the principle of parsimony. The justification for the principle of parsimony is the avoidance of overfitting. A model too complex loses its prediction capability, however, symmetry within a model and the existence of Gauge fields need not reduce its predictive power and in some cases, such Gauge fields have a clear measurable outcome and are therefore dictated by empirical measurement results.

Scientific models are best when they balance between overfitting and over-generalization and thus underfitting and failing to predict the outcome of an experiment. Asking existential questions is not within the scope of such predictive models in general, unless the answer does have implications that can be measured.

By your worldview, there is no need for an entity beyond the brain that uses the probabilistic quantum degrees of freedom in the brain to influence decisions, to feel pain and pleasure and to experience colors, due to the principle of parsimony, however, by the Gauge principle, if such an entity can exist without contradicting physical measurements then it does exist and if it does exist then we are not just biochemical machines but we also have true free will at least in some decisions we make.

The Gauge principle requires symmetry to exist within a language description of a physical object.
With the current technology, e.g. Transformer Neural Networks and physical implementations, it is possible to build such an object and show a degree of freedom in its color perception.

SV: What I am saying is that “feeling”, “pain”, “pleasure”, “color” etc. have no ontological status.
These are all mere epistemic elements – or even mere figments of language. They are not real.
So, there is no need – or possibility - to account for them in any way: not within a theory of the brain as an exclusive entity (materialism) and not with the introduction of any other entity.
Like “god”, for example - pain, pleasure, colors, etc., are not legitimate objects of scientific discourse (though, of course, they do have a limited place in metaphysics).
Moreover:
Not everything that can exist does exist.
The existence of statements and theorems and theories (“gauge fields”) is not the same as the existence of apples and space shuttles. It is not the same kind of existence:
Bestowed Existence
There is no way in principle to prove some statements, such as “god exists” “god does not exist”, “subjects perceive color”, and “subjects do not perceive color”. These statements can never acquire a truth value. They are empty null sets, so to speak.
ES: 1) You say: "These are all mere epistemic elements – or even mere figments of language. They are not real".
They are very real to each one of us. Don't you feel pain? Don't you enjoy good music?
Denying your own experiences as figments of language does not make them go away.
If mathematical language cannot account for these experiences and therefore dismisses "experience" altogether, it only tells us that mathematics and scientism are limited to describe the common knowledge we call "the physical world" and on which we all agree. The "internal" world of yours which is your experiences is inaccessible to me even if your brain would be wired to mine. I would be able to get the same input but would not know what experience they correlate with, for you.
You write: "Like “god”, for example - pain, pleasure, colors, etc., are not legitimate objects of scientific discourse (though, of course, they do have a limited place in metaphysics)"
Metaphysics does not equal leprosy.

Ostronomos

The professor of SFU who was a participant in the above dialogue clearly agrees that language has a fundamental existence of its own. Hence the term object-language.

Whether this theory bears fruit is another story. As academics need to agree upon the nature of reality rather than preventing freedom of speech. The days of free intellectual discourse have all but run dry. I for one am a defender of science and theology and have successfully argued for their compatibility in the past.