• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Might is Right and LaVey's Church of Satan

Viconia

Ragnar Redbeard, the pseudonym used by the author of the book "Might is Right" was one of the many texts that influenced and inspired Anton LaVey's thoughts and actions.

I myself have a love/hate relationship with Mr. Redbeard's little tome, whoever he may have been. As a woman and a professional I reject Redbeard's written sentiment that women are "silly, lovable baby factories", but I find that I can forgive him since he contradicts himself when he says later in the book: "When their passions are stirred, women have performed deeds of heroism (and of terror) that even a man with nerves of steel would hesitate at. They have fought on sea and land, the bravest of the brave. They have led armies and ruled empires, and have been criminals of the darkest dye".

Redbeard's racial and gender views aside, I feel that several of his quotes from the book really define that Satanic worldview:

'Tis a battle for bread, for love and for breath
'Tis a race for life to the jaws of death
O' threats of Hell and hopes of Paradise
One thing at least is certain - this life flies
One thing is certain and all the rest is - lies
The flower that has once bloomed forever dies
With these two poems, a sense of urgency to accomplish great things before your life ends is established.

Another element of Satanism I see is the an acknowledgement of the cold apathy that natural forces have for all living things:

Nature is harsh, cruel, merciless to all unlovely things. Her smile is only for the Courageous, the Strong, the Beautiful, and the All-Daring.. ..Majestic Nature continues on her tragic way serenely, caring naught for the wails of the agonized and panic-stricken nor the protests of defeat, the smiling sadly, proudly (yet somewhat disdainfully in her passing stride) at the victor's fierce Hurrah.. ..The natural world is a world of war; the natural man is a warrior; the natural law is tooth and claw. All else is error. A condition of combat everywhere exists. We are born into perpetual conflict. It is our inheritance, even as it was the heritage of previous generations. This "condition of combat" may be disguised with the holy phrases of Saint Francis, or the soft, decietful doctrines of a Kropotkin or Tolstoi, but it cannot be eventually evaded by any human being or any tribe of human beings.
The "war" more than hinted at is the competetion between all living things for Material Power, for property. Every animal requires food, water, shelter, and fulfillment of desires. All of these things are material.

Satan, then, is an adequete archetype, for he truly is the lord of the earth.

Satanists adopt the label of "Satan" because to do so is inspiring, fun, and accurate to do so. Despite Satanism's inherent atheism, it provides a method of ritualization for those that feel they need it. While outside the ritual chamber, the rituals are seen as a form of applied psychology, used to direct one's will, like a form of focus or meditation. During ritual, disbelief is suspended and a belief in magic is upheld.

It is interesting to note here that there have been studies indicating that some people have a genetically-linked trait to be more inclined towards religious belief than others. (I had originally included links to these studies, but had to remove them because these forums won't let you post URLS until after you have 15 posts to filter out spammers)

So, Satanism provides an ethical system, an identity, and a mode for ritualization for those inclined to do so.

With all this said, Satanism is a religion for doers, for movers and shakers. I am fond of the old Jewish saying "If not me, who? If not now, when?" Equality and the unconditional love of a God not existing, it is up to each individual to find worth and meaning within his or her own life.

"In actual life, he who claims equality with another is ever called upon to prove his claim, not by a grotesque abracadabra of silly phrases, parroted from antique philosopher or blue-moudly documents, but by actual deeds - that is to say, by producing his credentials. Consititutional theories are all very well to humbug stridulating slaves, but in a freeman's household or business they are not 'legal tender'."
I do not know if the above quote from Might is Right inspired LaVey, but it inspired me. I learned from the quote as a young girl that feelings do not mean much in the grand scheme of things. "It's not what you are underneath, but what you do, that defines you" to quote the great Batman.: hamster :

Remember, don't sit around "debating and intellectualizing" and living with your head in the clouds. Do something tangible!

Satanism is a Gloria Estefan song verse:

Get on your feet
Get up and make it happen
Get on your feet
Stand up and take some action

Hail Satan! :badger:

IanAlmighty

Lurking Existentialist
Lavey was inspired majorly by Nietzche and Redbeard. Redbeard was very blunt and harsh in his philosophies, whereas Nietzche was much more empathetic.
As Satanists, we all must choose our place between being the state of being a Sociopath and being a selfless humanitarian.
While I do lean towards being a very humanitarian person, I do limit how much self-sacrifice I give in order to better the world.

Viconia

I myself am a recreational therapist that works with drug addicts, showing people that they can have fun without self-destructive compulsive drug use. I get a wonderful feeling seeing people who've never had social skills discover them and connect with other people in a positive way for the first time.

I did not mean to make Satanism seem so pessistic!:p

Satanism is about is the rejection of all idealogies and unattainable examples of supposed perfection and just living.

Ðanisty

IanAlmighty said:
Lavey was inspired majorly by Nietzche and Redbeard. Redbeard was very blunt and harsh in his philosophies, whereas Nietzche was much more empathetic.
As Satanists, we all must choose our place between being the state of being a Sociopath and being a selfless humanitarian.
While I do lean towards being a very humanitarian person, I do limit how much self-sacrifice I give in order to better the world.
Any LHP belief is going to require a bit of a self-governing balancing act. That's one of the reasons it's just not the right path for a lot of people. People like to be told what is right and wrong...what they can do and can't do. It's also the reason there are a lot of Satanists out there that really can't be considered very Satanic. They don't (at least not at this point in their lives) have the mental endurance to write their own rules.

Viconia said:
I myself am a recreational therapist that works with drug addicts, showing people that they can have fun without self-destructive compulsive drug use. I get a wonderful feeling seeing people who've never had social skills discover them and connect with other people in a positive way for the first time.

I did not mean to make Satanism seem so pessistic!:p
I bet people would be surprised to find out you're a Satanist! I'm not, of course. Satanism is about endulgance not compulsion. A drug addiction is most definitely a compulsion.

Satanism is about is the rejection of all idealogies and unattainable examples of supposed perfection and just living.
This is why I'm not a Satanist...lol. I tried LaVeyan Satanism for many years and it wasn't for me. I don't reject idealogies. I'm a theist and there's no way around it. What I reject is dogma. I reject mankind having the authority to tell me how to view the spiritual world.