• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mentally handicapped

LightofTruth

My study of the Scripture leads me to believe that it is essential for a person to believe the gospel, repent and be baptized into Christ in order to be saved. Therefore it would be impossible for a mentally handicapped person to be saved if they could not believe the gospel.

I'm not sure how I should feel about this except to be grateful for the mental capacity that I have.

Any thoughts?

Darkforbid

A mentally handicapped person would not believe in whatever religious scripture because of what exactly?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
My study of the Scripture leads me to believe that it is essential for a person to believe the gospel, repent and be baptized into Christ in order to be saved. Therefore it would be impossible for a mentally handicapped person to be saved if they could not believe the gospel.

I'm not sure how I should feel about this except to be grateful for the mental capacity that I have.

Any thoughts?

The Lord knows our hearts. Even if we are/become impaired He will take these things into consideration imho.

LightofTruth

A mentally handicapped person would not believe in whatever religious scripture because of what exactly?
Mentally impaired to the extent that they are unable to reasonably understand and believe the gospel, repent, and be baptized as an act of faith.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It does work for a huge group of people. Just not all people. Like babies and the mentally handicapped.
Do you really believe that an infinitely intelligent and infinitely understanding god would actually burn anyone in hell for eternity, much less those who're wholly and completely inculpable?

My study of the Scripture leads me to believe that it is essential for a person to believe the gospel, repent and be baptized into Christ in order to be saved. Therefore it would be impossible for a mentally handicapped person to be saved if they could not believe the gospel....

Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. I don’t know any reason why mental handicap could prevent person to be righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you sure it's even true, or anything more than your personal beliefs?

LightofTruth

Do you really believe that an infinitely intelligent and infinitely understanding god would actually burn anyone in hell for eternity, much less those who're wholly and completely inculpable?
I don't believe the scripture teaches eternal torment. I think it says death is death.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Have you read the Old Testament?

Yes, but It's also clear to me that it wasn't written by an infinitely intelligent, infinitely understanding entity. That's my point: we can separate the concept of god from the silly, arbitrary, irrational ways that various religions have perceived and portrayed the concept.
If you define god as a being of pure love and pure logic, than anything devoid of either compassion or reason (i.e. hell) cannot be of god.
But if you prefer to define god as some oafish, ghoulish cartoon character, then by all means stick with one of the many wacky mythos.

allright

He who knows what right to do and fails to do it for him it is sin

If a person can not tell right from wrong he cannot sin

Also remember Jesus healed the demoniac and restore him to his right mind