• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental health and Ramadan

LilyPhoenix

Am a new Muslim and i have mental health problems that require me to take medication during the day my mental health will get worse if i dont take the medication and i will get ill
As you know its Ramadan so fasting will be a problem I cant take the medication before the sunrise and after sunset because its need to act fast when am at a point of anxiety and i seem to be having daily panic attacks at the moment

i wondered what the ruling on this would be ?

ignition

Basically rule of thumb: If you can fast the day, then do it. If you can't then don't do it. Simples :) But you have to make it up whenever you can after Ramadan for every day you miss.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I've heard that people who can't fast during Ramadan must pay the Zakat.

I knew a woman who couldn't fast because of diabetes, and she told me that she paid 5 euros for each day.(depend were you live, you can also "pay" with food)
People who are poor of course don't have to.

Allah ishafik

ignition

I've heard that people who can't fast during Ramadan must pay the Zakat.

I knew a woman who couldn't fast because of diabetes, and she told me that she paid 5 euros for each day.(depend were you live, you can also "pay" with food)
People who are poor of course don't have to.

Allah ishafik
A person can only pay for every day they don't fast if they have a long-term inability to fast, which basically means if they cannot fast during ramadan and they also cannot make up the fast after ramadan.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Am a new Muslim and i have mental health problems that require me to take medication during the day my mental health will get worse if i dont take the medication and i will get ill
As you know its Ramadan so fasting will be a problem I cant take the medication before the sunrise and after sunset because its need to act fast when am at a point of anxiety and i seem to be having daily panic attacks at the moment

i wondered what the ruling on this would be ?

You have to avoid fasting while on medication.

Here is an answer found on this link Ramadan 2013 - Ramadan Awareness Campaign-

Any person who falls under these categories, is permanently exempt from fasting:
  • The insane or the mentally handicapped
  • The permanently ill, whom fasting may pose a danger to their health. e.g. kidney disease, certain diabetes etc.
  • Persons who are in need of taking regular oral medication to maintain their health.
Any person who falls under these categories, is temporarily exempt from fasting and should make up the missed days once they fall out of the category:
  • The person who sick and whose sickness may be prolonged or become worse due to fasting
  • Women who are pregnant or are nursing
  • Women who are having their menstrual period or who are experiencing post-partum bleeding (the combination of blood loss and fasting could damage their health)
  • People who are traveling may also break their fast if they feel that keeping it would harm them

seeking4truth

You must follow the advice of your doctor.
If you must take medication during the day at regular intervals you cannot fast and you are exempt.

If it is acceptable to take medication before and after the fasting period then you can fast now.
If your illness is temporary you can fast later in the year.

If you want to fast but cannot due to illness then you are rewarded for your sincere intentions.
Insha'Allah, Allah who is the Healer will hear your prayers especially during Ramadhan and heal your sickness.