• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men need more sex than women - right?

otokage007

SO wrong from start to finish, my dear. You're arguing from a patriarchal perspective. Female promiscuity has very distinct evolutionary advantages....only one of them is procuring children from one type of man who has stronger physical genes while also having sex with another type of man who is the better father figure and displays patience and love to children.

That's just ONE evolutionary advantage for promiscuous women. There are more, but you're gonna have to take off those Patriarchy Rules! brand sunglasses to see clearly. ;)

I said "most mammals" on purpose. Because most mammals live "patriarchaly". In fact, there is very very few mammals where polyandry (females that copulate with many males) is effective. It happens more on insects like mantis or other animals like the seahorses (animals where the parental care is given by the father). But the most common in the animal realm, and much more common in mammals, is polygyny (males that copulate with a lot of females) and this is because of a very simple reason that comes from our unicellular ancestors: femenine gametes (ovules) are single and stationary cells, thus they can only "copulate" once, and to survive, they have to be protected (because they can not move) and nurtured, so all their survival strategies are focused on this. On the contrary, masculine gametes are small and fragile, and the only way to assure they pass their genetic traits to the next generation, is to be numerous and copulate with the greater number of feminine gametes they can.

Actually there's no point on discussing this, because I'm just presenting a fact, not my own theory.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I said "most mammals" on purpose. Because most mammals live "patriarchaly". In fact, there is very very few mammals where polyandry (females that copulate with many males) is effective. It happens more on insects like mantis or other animals like the seahorses (animals where the parental care is given by the father). But the most common in the animal realm, and much more common in mammals, is polygyny (males that copulate with a lot of females) and this is because of a very simple reason that comes from our unicellular ancestors: femenine gametes (ovules) are single and stationary cells, thus they can only "copulate" once, and to survive, they have to be protected (because they can not move) and nurtured, so all their survival strategies are focused on this. On the contrary, masculine gametes are small and fragile, and the only way to assure they pass their genetic traits to the next generation, is to be numerous and copulate with the greater number of feminine gametes they can.

Actually there's no point on discussing this, because I'm just presenting a fact, not my own theory.

Oh and it is a true fact indeed. But as Mystic said and as I said, it is in the families nearest to ours, gorillas, chimpanzees and other primates.

In this species, females also commit adultery. Actually and quite entertainingly, you could say only them are cheating, after all, the alpha has sex with other females, but the females know this, while the female that has sex with more than one male is definitely doing it on each others back :D

otokage007

Oh and it is a true fact indeed. But as Mystic said and as I said, it is in the families nearest to ours, gorillas, chimpanzees and other primates.

In this species, females also commit adultery. Actually and quite entertainingly, you could say only them are cheating, after all, the alpha has sex with other females, but the females know this, while the female that has sex with more than one male is definitely doing it on each others back :D

Sure, but it is difficult to analyze the biological purpose of a specie's sex conduct when this specie achieves pleasure from sex. Pleasant sex can make females commit adultery even if the act isn't advantageous from evolution's perspective. However, these females usually are "forced" to commit adultery, and even if this is diffuse in such an intelligent specie as the chimpanzee, this is easily seen on lionesses: when they get pregnant and the alpha lion is expulsed, they will instantly try to copulate with the new alpha lion in the hopes that he thinks the children are his.

But again, we are quite an intelligent specie, and can not be analyzed by animal standars. However I'm one of those people that thinks there's a biological explanation about why men are usually much more infidel and promiscuous than women. That's why I've given it :p

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sure, but it is difficult to analyze the biological purpose of a specie's sex conduct when this specie achieves pleasure from sex. Pleasant sex can make females commit adultery even if the act isn't advantageous from evolution's perspective. However, these females usually are "forced" to commit adultery, and even if this is diffuse in such an intelligent specie as the chimpanzee, this is easily seen on lionesses: when they get pregnant and the alpha lion is expulsed, they will instantly try to copulate with the new alpha lion in the hopes that he thinks the children are his.

But again, we are quite an intelligent specie, and can not be analyzed by animal standars. However I'm one of those people that thinks there's a biological explanation about why men are usually much more infidel and promiscuous than women. That's why I've given it :p

You haven't been the first to try to explain it or rationalize it. The fact is, it's bunk.

Perhaps, then, my female readers will appreciate a new study published in Current Biology which suggests that it’s the women whose infidelity is important in ensuring species survival. Indeed, as they explain, females having multiple male partners may be vital in preventing extinction!

Ever since the “spreading the seed” explanation for why males are so sexually liberal was proposed, there have been a few issues with it. The most glaring one was that in many animals, women, too, have multiple partners. Some species seem to have the roles reversed, where women are dominant and have harems of male suitors. Even in species that seemed monogomous, it turned out the women were cheating – in many species of monogomous birds, for example, females actively seek “extra-pair copulations” (ornithologist speak for affairs), and up to 75% of the chicks were being raised by males that were not their dad!

Biologists began to realize that women, too, can benefit from sneaking around. In monogamous species, a female is stuck with whatever guy she gets to raise her young, even if isn’t the biggest or the brightest. It’s a shame, to her, that she can’t have better babies, for surely her lackluster hubby’s offspring will be less than ideal. Cheating, it was believed, gave a woman the best of both worlds. She gets to have a dedicated, loyal sub-par male take care of her young, but the young are born from better stock that she secured on the side.

The problem is, nothing explained polyandry – a mating system where women have multiple “husbands” or partners. Considering that there is a higher biological cost to the female to mate, why would she ever want to have a permanent array of suitors demanding her attention? It seemed like there was something missing. Biologists Tom Price, Greg Hurst, and Nina Wedell believed there was more to the story.

It turns out that the bigger picture may be genetic. Mutations in chromosomes can lead to what is called sex ratio distortion. There are certain alterations that, for whatever reason, cause the sperm containing either the X (female) or Y (male) chromosome to fail to fertilize. They are termed Sex-Ratio Distorter Genes or Chromosomes (SR genes or chromosomes) because they alter the balance of males to females in a population. Because mutations are constantly occurring, there is always a risk that all-male or all-female broods will be born, the result of which is potential extinction of a population or a species, if the altered gene becomes widespread.

The team hypothesized that female promiscuity may help protect against SR chromosomes that develop in males. They tested their hypothesis using a known SR chromosome in the the fruitfly Drosophila pseudoobscura. This particular mutation, when carried by a male, causes all of his sperm that carry a Y chromosome to die before they can fertilize, though it has no clear effect on eggs when carried by females. Because it doesn’t detriment female gametes, this kind of mutation can persist and spread until, eventually, not enough males are being produced to maintain a population.

They created populations of fruitflies where 30% of the flies carried the SR mutation. They then had one population breed freely, where females mated with a number of males, while in the other, females were restricted to a male apiece. They bred these populations for several generations to see if there were any differences between the two.

In just fifteen generations, almost half of the monogamous populations became extinct because there weren’t enough men around. Meanwhile, none of the populations with the promiscuous girls died out. In the monogamous populations that survived, the SR chromosome was far more prevalent than in the polyandrous ones.

Why did those populations fare so much better? It’s likely the effect of sperm competition. When a female mates with many males, each of their sperm is vying to fertilize her eggs. Since the SR males produce half the sperm that normal males do, they’ve got an instant disadvantage in a system where they have to compete, meaning the damaging chromosome is less likely to spread.

This study is the first to suggest that a polyandrous mating system could have evolved as a means to protect against sex-ratio distortion-induced extinction. Of course, extrapolating these results to other species is more difficult, so it’s impossible to say that this study has any grand relevance to humans. It does, however, plant the seed of possibility that female promiscuity is healthy and vital in a population.

So boys, next time I hear you say that men are dogs because it’s ‘biological’, expect to hear a lecture about how girls can sleep with whomever they want because it will save the species. Jus’ sayin’.

Source

Take that, male! :p

Me Myself

Back to my username
Sure, but it is difficult to analyze the biological purpose of a specie's sex conduct when this specie achieves pleasure from sex. Pleasant sex can make females commit adultery even if the act isn't advantageous from evolution's perspective.

Oh no no, you didnt get it at all.

They are GAINING from an evolutionary perspective from it. As I said, they use one of the males for good children and the other one for providing for such children.

otokage007

You haven't been the first to try to explain it or rationalize it. The fact is, it's bunk.

Source

Take that, male! :p

Hahaha. Thanks for the source, although I already knew some of the advantages of polyandry. I've never claimed it is disvantageous! :p

Oh no no, you didnt get it at all.

They are GAINING from an evolutionary perspective from it. As I said, they use one of the males for good children and the other one for providing for such children.

Sure, I understand this.