• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MegaChurches : Pro/Con, Bad or Good?

Bishka

Veteran Member
What are your view on these seemingly "McChurches"? Are they too gaudy for their own good? If you support them, why them over smaller congregations?

Sonic247

For many of them I question thier motives, but before I seem too scornful I'm sure their are many members and even some leaders sincerly seeking God.

Bishka

Veteran Member
For many of them I question thier motives, but before I seem too scornful I'm sure their are many members and even some leaders sincerly seeking God.

As do I, but is is it really necessary to have a Starbucks or McDonalds in your Church? OR ATMS's? The whole thing reminds me when Jesus threw the moneychangers out of the temple.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
As do I, but is is it really necessary to have a Starbucks or McDonalds in your Church? OR ATMS's? The whole thing reminds me when Jesus threw the moneychangers out of the temple.

Call me naive but, those exist?! Is nothing sacred anymore?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The disciples met in each other's houses. Mega churches are the antithesis to this and so I abhor them. I don't believe that any first century church owned property which is a glaring departure for most churches today.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Becky, what was that signature line you had before this one? Something about different spiritual temperaments, if I recall... I think that applies here. For some people, they are a good thing.

I'd guess that many people like to feel they are in a large community of like-minded people. Perhaps they feel more supported. One advantage is that these churches allow people to focus their lives more around the church for social and entertainment purposes with lots of church-sponsored activities. That way, they feel the do not have to rely on the secular world with its risks of negative influences.

I grew up attending one of these, and I certainly would never want to go back, but they have a place for some.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Becky, what was that signature line you had before this one? Something about different spiritual temperaments, if I recall... I think that applies here. For some people, they are a good thing.

I do know that, but it just seems strange to me that it does not fit very well (the financial bit) with the New Testament. I am not knocking them for those who it enjoy it, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Sonic247

The disciples met in each other's houses. Mega churches are the antithesis to this and so I abhor them. I don't believe that any first century church owned property which is a glaring departure for most churches today.
Good point, I bet there were alot of things diffrent when Christians met together back in the day.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!

They have starbucks and mcdonalds in churches over there?? Seriously???:eek: :eek:

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Saw you reply to Gentoo, cant believe they have ATM's!!! Just incase you forget your tithe, eh?? ;)
I think its ridiculous and another example of the churches becoming wordly and trying to appeal to people by wordly things, not by Gods Word.
We have a housechurch in our own home, the best youll find is a mug of tea and a plate of biscuits!!!
Im still shocked!!! Any links to these churches, Becky?

Sonic247

I've never actually seen one, but they do have them, probably mainly in big cities, I'm sure there are some in NYC.