• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meeting new people

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I am sure this should go here....

Whenever you know you have to meet new people, such as new school, new job, new town, etc. Do you have an kind of anxiety? If so how do you get over it?

I get really bad anxiety when I am doing such. Its almost where I will even try to avoid such, and therefore forfeit a great opportunity.

Any tips?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm really strange, I guess. I don't get bent out of shape at all when I meet people in person for the first time, casually. In my line of work, I meet new people all of the time. I thoroughly enjoy working with clients and volunteers.

I'm less socially awkward in real life. I am bothered by people who take interest in others but can't work up the courage to say "hi" (in my personal life).

Because, that's all it takes really, is, the courage to say "hello". What's the worse that's going to happen? They don't say hello back?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I'm really strange, I guess. I don't get bent out of shape at all when I meet people in person for the first time, casually. In my line of work, I meet new people all of time. I thoroughly enjoy working with clients and volunteers.

I'm less socially awkward in real life. I like talking to people and am bothered by people who take interest in others but can't work up the courage to say "hi".
Because, that's all it takes really, is, the courage to say "hello". What's the worse that's going to happen? They don't say hello back?

That is especially my problem. I am training in the medical field just so I can help people. But how can I truly help people if I can not even say "hello" or hold a conversation?

I am a very shy person in life until I get comfortable. But I can't get comfortable with a patient

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
That is especially my problem. I am training in the medical field just so I can help people. But how can I truly help people if I can not even say "hello" or hold a conversation?

I am a very shy person in life until I get comfortable. But I can't get comfortable with a patient

You don't necessarily have to be comfortable with a patient to be a kind and caring medical professional. Chin up!

Keep it professional and polite. You shouldn't be getting too close to your patients anyway. That could be scandalous.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
You don't necessarily have to be comfortable with a patient to be a kind and caring medical professional. Chin up!

Keep it professional and polite. You shouldn't be getting too close to your patients anyway. That could be scandalous.

Of Course! lol I am talking more in general, but as well as with a random person, I find it hard to approach.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I guarantee your patients won't give two s**ts about your personality or how you carry a conversation. Just save their a** and they'll love you

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I guarantee your patients won't give two s**ts about your personality or how you carry a conversation. Just save their a** and they'll love you

I know.

What can help me with anxiety with meeting new people like coworkers and new students and new congregations.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
hehehe...I'm just goofing in that last post. You asked for some tips. The most important thing to feeling comfortable in a social situation is developing your OWN STYLE in how you relate to other people. Certainly you'll be influenced by other people's styles but you take what appeals to you in them and make it your own somehow. If you can't make it your own it's going to come off as unnatural and even worse, insincere. Insincerity is a big turn off for people. You've got to get all this bs about trying to be "cool" off your mind. If it comes from the heart, you'll have success in your relationships. Show a GENUINE interest in who people are. Ask questions about them and their life that you genuinly want to know the answer to. I usually ask people about their hobbies when I'm first getting to know them. Then I might ask them if they enjoy their line of work, often before asking what it is. Now it sounds like you feel like you haven't found your own style yet. This is the tough part, and take it from me who went from a social leper as a small child to someone elected to class office in high school. I literally didn't even run for it, other people just nominated me. You've got to get out there and just learn through experience and trial and error about who you were made to be socially speaking as well as getting rid of the anxiety. It's a skill you hone and in the beginning it may be tough. It's obvious from your posts that you'd probably be a nice person to know in the real world, so stick with it

Last edited:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

Whenever you know you have to meet new people, such as new school, new job, new town, etc. Do you have an kind of anxiety? If so how do you get over it?

I get really bad anxiety when I am doing such. Its almost where I will even try to avoid such, and therefore forfeit a great opportunity.

Any tips?

It's quite hard. I'm naturally introverted like you. I think it's all about confidence. After you have to talk to people more i.e. doing a presentation to peers etc. you'll gain confidence. I think the best way to go about it is to tell yourself that everyone else is just as nervous as you and talk to them. It's unlikely that other people are going to laugh at you on the first occassion of meeting them so just go for it.

elmarna

Rember -you have to be a friend first before you have a friend.
They could be just as nervious if not more in unfamiliar places.
Sometimes time is best. Letting both of you aclimate and let the personality surface that might "open up" a oppertunity where there is a mutual interest or something that let's a conversation happen instead of forceing things to come about.
That is; if you want a relationship with this person at all!

hola!

i'm practically the master of all social retards. anxiety is in my DNA. somehow i always manage to say something facepalm-worthy, so don't worry, i feel your
pain. :p

i'm trying to fix this however. i guess the trick to not make a dork of yourself is to simply... wait for it... RELAX. you can only relax when you're self-confident and have accepted yourself, warts and all. don't overthink about what to say and what not to say, how to act and how not to act. don't try to be perfect around people. just be yourself. don't let the opinions of others matter so much, they're not perfect either.

so yeah, the key here is confidence. say it with me: CONFIDENCE. CON-FI-DENCE. very good! :p once you have that, you don't worry anymore about how people think of you, and life is good again :beach:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Any tips?
As far as I can tell, I have little or no anxiety when meeting new people. When I go to new schools, new jobs, new towns, it's like an adventure.

However, I am indeed an introvert. I do not flourish in crowded social situations, but rather, I expend energy in them. I require quieter times to recuperate.

Confidence is pretty important, but admittedly, just telling someone to be confident doesn't amount to much.

-When you go to a new school, or visit a new group of people, or get interviewed by a new employer, or move to a new town, it's not necessarily so much about you, but rather, about them. You're interviewing them to be your friends, co-workers, and neighbors, as much as they're interview you to be their friend, co-worker, or neighbor. I think it's key to remember that.

-Some of my best job landings came when, in an interview, it turned into me interviewing the employer rather than the employer interviewing me. That is, my stuff is already on the table- my grades, my work experience, etc. They only picked me to this point from a pile of resumes because on paper I was what they wanted. Now, I'm determining whether this place I'm sitting at is the best place to potentially spend the next few years of my life. It's actually a much greater risk to me to spend several years in a place I don't like, than for an employer to hire one employee out of many that isn't the best fit. So it's really more important to be the interviewer rather than the interviewee, both in actual interviews, and in new social situations. It's more important that they impress you, than that you impress them.

-If you view it as one-sided, it will be one sided. If you view it as going both ways, it will go both ways. The primary thing is that you're reviewing a situation to see if it meets your goals, and the secondary thing is that people in the situation are reviewing you to see if you meet their goals.

I think many people view it simply as, the people they're meeting are doing a one-way review. So the most concise piece of advice I'd offer is, take whatever you're feeling, and flip it 180 degrees.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Anyone else here with extensive experience meeting/interacting with people feel like after a while you're watching a rerun of a movie you've already seen a million times? Maybe it's because I'm an extrovert and am more natural at working a room than I am going into deep relationships with people.